Home Metal Detecting
Options

There I was...

PghpetePghpete Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
How about a thread describing "near misses". You know you find a coin that immediately makes your heart skip a beat at first glance. Then, after further review... I'll start. I was hunting a demo over the weekend. The house was build in 1895. The town's Chamber of Commerce had the house moved so a new development could go in. I spent about 3 hours there (in the Phoenix, AZ heat) on Saturday. After finding several clad, one wheat penny, and a couple of Hot Wheel cars for my efforts, I finally got a dime signal at 5". I carefully dug it up and immediately saw the faint image of the fasces on the reverse. I flipped the coin over and was able to read 1916! Could it be? Could I have uneartherd the rarest Merc ever minted? Could one of the rarest coins out there be rescued from it's earthly resting place where it's been sitting for an untold number of years? Nope, sorry, it didn't turn out that way. The Merc was a 1916P in VGish condition. No need for pictures we know what those look like. Just you wait, one of these days.............

Comments

• Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    That was a heart-stopper moment, I agree!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Yep had that happen too infact here they all are!!

and what do you think was on the back????
    That's right the "S" mintmarkimageimageBut on the flipmside at least the one in the coin holder is in primo shape,it came out of the ground all nice bright and shiny no cleaning needed.

You would figure at least out of 4 I would get 1 "d",but noooooooooooooo!!!I found 3 last year and one the year before that.HH,Tom
  • Options
    LOL----I don't want to talk about it! ! ! image

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I want a picture!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I want a picture!!! >>

Yessir! A picture is worth a thousand words. Doesn't matter how ugly a coin might be, seeing the picture of the digs makes my day.