Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Questions for VAM collectors (Warning: Large Pics)

First, I do own a copy of the 4th edition VAM book, but I don't collect Morgans. I did recently pick up a couple of Morgans and have identified them from the book. One is in the Top 100 and the other is in the Hot 50.

Who decided which VAMs would be in these two lists? Is there a book published on these and the author just picked some he liked?

Both of these coins are in old green PCI holders. If I wanted to sell these would I be better off selling them in their current holders with good attributable pictures or should I get them attributed in a reputable slab? If I should get them attributed, would ANACS be ok or should they be in NGC or PCGS slabs for the registry collectors?

In case it makes a difference, the coins are (if I remember the numbers correctly):

1878-S VAM-6 PCI MS64 PQ
1883-O/O VAM-4 PCI MS65

Comments

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    PCGS holders are gold right now...you'd probably get roughly double the current value of the PCI
    holder. And the 64PQ sounds like a 65 shot at PCGS.

Yes, Michael Fey and Jeff Oxman came up with the Top 100 List, followed by Jeff Oxman's Hot 50
    list a few years later. Books and CD's are available at a price. You'll have a rough time finding a
    Hot 50 book though, it's out of print.
  • Options
    RGTRGT Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. I would have a problem getting them into PCGS holders. It's not worth joining for two coins and the only local dealer submits only to NGC.

Here are some pictures I took. They are a bit large and maybe not the best. The 1883-O is difficult for me to grade since the crusty tone makes the surfaces hard to judge. The marks on the 1878 are just grazes but they show up quite well in the image. I doubt the 1878 would downgrade but I can't be sure about the 1883 since I'm not too good grading these even when I can judge the surfaces. I don't know what these might go for but if it downgraded would the VAM premium be enough to keep me from loosing my shirt?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The VAM premium is modest on both of those coins, but they are rather gorgeous. You might be able to get the 78-S into a 65 holder. Old PCI "PQ" is quite often worth an upgrade at PCGS today.

The Top 100 VAMs were strategically picked out of the VAM book to provide a balance of findable, yet neat VAMs with some tougher, neat VAMs, with some major rarities. There's something for everyone in the list, and you really can't outgrow it. The Hot 50 is a similar list that Jeff put together on his own to expand on the Top 100 with the same premise. Some tough ones, some easier ones, something for everyone. The Hot 50 book is out of print, but I have software on the Hot 50 that Jeff and I developed together.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    The 78-S has gorgeous annular album toning. I think it woudl cross at least at 64 with some shot at 65. Could be VAM-6 but there are a number of doubled mottos to rule out, like VAM-10 and the near-ubiquitous VAM-16. I like that coin in any event and in any holder. Nice.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    RGTRGT Posts: 508 ✭✭
    John, thanks for the additional info on how the VAMs were selected.

I'm pretty sure the 1878-S is a VAM-6. It's hard to see in these pictures since they were taken to highlight the color instead of close-ups to show the detail. The "I" in the motto is doubled just like the picture in the book. The correct stars show some light doubling. LIBERTY is doubled and the "r" in trust is broken. I would take much better close-ups before I tried to sell it.

It sounds like I may have more premium for the tone in todays market than I do in the variety. I may just put them on ebay in their current holders and save myself the time and cost of reslabbing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file