Home Sports Talk
Options

Detroit gets Sean Casey; Shelton demoted.

detroit traded a minor league pitcher (Brian Rogers) to Pittsburgh for 1b Sean Casey. Afterwards, Detroit sent Chris Shelton to the minors. Shelton was hitting .277 with 16 HRs and 45 RBIs. Deal was done mostly for Casey's defensive play.
Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)

Comments

• Options
    Shelton hasn't been hot since May. Demoting him, imo will definetly effect him in the future. Talk about a knock on a guys confidence.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    What a great move for the Tigers... as long as Casey is healthy, he should provide a solid lefty bat who walks a fair amount and doesn't strike out a ton.

The demotion of Shelton was unexpected, but it makes the most sense. He's really been a bum at the plate since May, especially in important situations, and a lot of his hits have been fluffy - not solid contact and not opposite field liners like he was hitting at the beginning of the season when he was doing so well. He may get called back again next month when rosters expand, but it seems more obvious now the Tigers will look elsewhere for a better hitting 1B in the offseason.

• Options
    Hope everyone sold all their Shelton rookies in April.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I really feel for the guy (Shelton). He made an error in yesterday's game that basically opened the floodgates for a 6 run inning that cost the game. There's a bunch of guys in the league with worse numbers than him, but I agree, he has been pretty bad for a long time now. Lots of strikeouts.

In any case, in 35 years of being a baseball fan, I don't think I can ever remember a "regular" starter being shipped to the minors like Shelton was.
  • Options
    Well, my early predictions did hold strong for Shelton. Although, I didn't want to see it happen to an apparent up and comer I know I mentioned his swing as something that could become quite long and he could have a prolonged fall off. Hopefully he'll be back for the playoffs and he can make some minds change in D-town.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the bigs, Shelton was playing so good so fast out of the gate nobody could keep that pace up. A demotion actually might help in taking the pressure off himself to perform like did early on and might do him some good.