Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I can still appreciate these early type coins, despite the obvious problems. A couple are nice.

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know better, I really do. I can't help myself when I see one of these

Comments

• Options
    I figured someone would flame these.

The 1819 is nice IMO
    The 1807 quarter is ironic. It wouldn't have the detail it does if someone hadn't pounded the edges into a Susan B Anthony. Still, this had to have been done early in its life.

The 1795 is the first flowing hair I've had, so is the 1805 dime, 4 berries.
  • Options
    rsdoug81rsdoug81 Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I can definitely appreciate early problem coins. Here's a quick pic of mine with horrible white balance:

ANACS G4 Details, Damaged
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    uuuuuuumm...what's wrong with these??image
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    rsdoug81rsdoug81 Posts: 682 ✭✭

<< <i>uuuuuuumm...what's wrong with these??image >>

As far as my coin is concerned, it has some very light corrosion in the obverse fields and some slightly deeper corrosion in the hair. For under $440, I absolutely couldn't pass her up.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    looks good to me

i like them all a couple i like even more!!!!
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Graffeti (sp?) on coins really bugs me but the other relatively problem free coins are cool.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always buy what you like, just be knowledgeable of the problems and pay an appropriate discount. My first FH half was scratched, later sold for a higher price. I try to keep R.4 and more common without significant problems, but will buy problem coins if they are rare, an interesting die state, or a die marriage I am studying. If you look for perfection with FH and draped bust coins, you will have a very small collection.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    I appreciate an early U.S. coin in ANY condition. So while on the down side, graffiti, holes, scratches,etc. "ruin" a classic rare U.S. coin.... the up side is, it allows the regular guy to OWN to be able to afford these classics!
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I really like the look of that 1819 bust half! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

With the cash I spent on these (mostly problem coins) I could have bought one nice 1795 half or saved the money for an 1802 half.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive met very few coins that I couldnt give some merit to....
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    I've never met a 1790 something U.S. coin that I did not like. image
    ANA 1197201
    Vietnam Vet 69-70 - Semper Fi
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

With the cash I spent on these (mostly problem coins) I could have bought one nice 1795 half or saved the money for an 1802 half. >>

A bit of a sarcastic comment but nonetheless, with the way these things keep going up in price, I think you did well. I really like the look of your 1819, and while I don't care much for the [1795] grafitti either I agree with one of the other posters in that 18th Century pieces just have a natural lure. image
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many early coins are rare in any condition, such that even a "problem" coin is worth having, if the price is right.

here's a 1797 half dime that nets AG or so, most folks seem to think this is a lot of coin for an AG price

here's an 1801 half dollar that nets VG or so

again, lot of coin for a VG, there are tradeoffs in detail vs some scratches.

It is important to me that the flaws be contemporary to the coins' circulation, I would wager that both these coins were damaged before the war of 1812. In fact, the hole in the half dime probably allowed it to be saved from circulation and possible loss, and certainly made it affordable enough for an average collector to own.

scratches, digs, and other "test marks" to verify a coin's silver content were common back then, and many show signs of having been tested. This 1802 half dollar has a couple short scratches and a dig that are most likely contemporary test marks.

Many coin collectors will turn up their noses at "problem" coins, I like to think it takes an advanced collector to appreciate a historic old coin that is rare in any condition and has lots of stories to tell

I like your coins DNADave (provided the prices were "right")

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file