Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Several thoughts on attending my first National.........

I've read with interest everyone else's perspective on the Anaheim National. I attended and since it was my first National ever after collecting for over 20 years, I thought my take might offer a different angle from the veterans. Here are my thoughts:

1) Availability of good raw vintage. To me, the supply of good raw vintage was no different than other large regional shows: it's there, but you have to look for it and when you find it, you're probably going to have to pay accordingly for it. Discounts and deals are not likely. I see a lot of, frankly, whining, about both availability and price on this board about vintage at shows.........I think much of that is borne out of some Pollyannish notion that this should be 1985 all over again. Folks, it's not. The supply of good raw pre-75 vintage is declining every day, and it's a lot like the supply of unrestored classic automobiles. Just like you can't find a low mileage '67 Camaro SS convertible like you could 15-20 years ago, you're going to have a tougher time finding a raw, NM-MT 1967 Topps Tommy John #609. So stop whining about it. It's reality. And as far as prices are concerned? Dealers aren't dummies. They know many people who attend these large shows are there to spend bucks, and that the deals are on Ebay. They don't feel a need to discount when many of them do that on Ebay outside of the shows. The way to combat this? Hone your grading eye. Become a better self-grader. If you see a card that you believe is undergraded for the price, buy it. If not, move on and let someone else be the sucker.

2) All that said, there are still deals to be had and yes, there are some dealers who price stuff in ridiculous ways. As far as deals, I pulled a 1962 common for $8 that graded a 9, and I found a raw 1957 Topps Granny Hamner (tough card) that pulled an 8. At the same time, I saw lots and lots and lots of raw vintage that was grossly overpriced for the grade. Basically mid-grade stuff priced at NM levels. In these cases you can either take time to flip through the stuff hoping you will find diamonds in the rough (they can be found) or just move on.

3) Nice guys, but I don't think SGC has a clue about how to grade post-1950 cards. I'll leave it at that.

4) Treetop - a veteran of this board - is a stand up guy with nice stuff. He said he would have nice stuff from 1960-75, fairly priced, and he delivered. My only regret was that I didn't have time to go through more of his boxes, but I did pick up some really, really nice stuff. Props to Treetop.

5) It's a big show, but not unmanageable for a three day jaunt. If you're focused you can cover it all, but for a one day deal you're going to be overwhelmed, especially if you spend any time at the grading tables.

6) BBC Exchange. I don't do much unopened stuff, but their swag is impressive. Now I see what all you fans of them are talking about.

7) I met Joe Orlando for the first time.

8) Interesting that Global has a new CEO and they put their graders behind the curtain for apparently the first time. I think they realize that it is time for them to fix the 3 or 4 major things that have plagued them. All of the grading companies looked busy.

9) Having never seen him before but having heard and read plenty, it struck me that Mr. Mint is now a caricature of himself. Nothing worse than an aging hipster.

10). I read a lot on other threads about the National dying, etc (e.g., see some of Griffin's comments). I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I did sense a bit of Good Old Days syndrome in the hall amongst dealers and some collectors here (i.e., those who say the major shows today suck). Some of that is age related - most of the dealer base is aging..........I didn't see too many dealers in their 30's there. The fact is, Ebay and major auction houses rule the roost. It's that simple. An additional factor at play is that promoters such as Tri-Star do absolutely nothing to promote the dealers and everything to promote themselves. All they do is play up autographs and that's it. As a matter of fact, they flat out lie when they promote their regional shows by advertising that "200 + dealers will be at the Houston show" and about 65 show up. I have no axe against Tri-Star, it's just an observation.

11) Pricing of graded material. If anyone wants to complain, it should be about this first and about raw pricing second. Grossly, and I mean grossly, overpriced graded stuff all across the board. I can understand when someone prices a 1957 PSA 8 Clemente at slightly over SMR, or has a low pop common at Ebay-realized prices, but many dealers were taking it to an extreme. I laughed out loud at one dealer when he quoted me a price of $350 for a common I needed for my 1957 set. The same night I went on Ebay and bought one out of a store for $65. All I can say is, let someone else be the sucker.

12) Women. Yes, the Memory Lane girls were nice as were the Benchwarmer girls, but my personal favorite was the Heritage auction redhead with a nice, strategically placed tramp stamp. Beautiful.

Stay classy,

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Ron,

Thanks for spending the time, and your clear and concise analysis of your first National................image

Hopefully next year at this time I will be describing here my first experience with a National in Cleveland.

Jami
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Jami,

No problem. I look forward to going to Cleveland next year and making a comparison between the two.

By the way, I noticed your 1972 set........I picked up some outstanding raw 1972's out there, just waiting for the next special for me to send them in!

Stay classy,

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Great write up Ron. I've attended Nationals in Cleveland, Chicago and Atlantic City and I think you described my experiences also....every different city had different pros and cons but as far as collecting and cards you have stated it elegantly and I believe correctly.........everyone will have different opinions both ways but I still think there are good reasons to attend a National....I know I"ll be back at Cleveland next year and hope to attend the next West Coast show also..
    al.
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Hey Ron,

It was good to meet you and a few others. Just about sold everything I brought by the end of the show. I had a great time and it was a great to have my son with me the entire 5 days. I picked up some sweet 57's that graded 8 (Campy and Berra) and pulled a PSA 10 on a 1970 Topps Frank Robinson all-star. Lots and lots of great stuff.

Time to restock my inventory for the next Anaheim National!!

Mark
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • DaddyRichDaddyRich Posts: 241 ✭✭
    "Nothing worse than an aging hipster" - you gotta love a Lenny Bruce quote when you see it. Your description of the National struck me as similar to my experience last week at the San Diego Comic-Con, in short-overwhelming.
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • you're right about dealers and prices on graded material. why do they do this? check your point #1. As you stated, online auctions are the first and foremost source for most collectors. shows are basically for networking, nostalgia and for finding good deals on raw cards (diamonds in the rough, as you say, but still can be had if careful and diligent). I almost attended this national, but felt the price of gas and a one or two night stay at a hotel wasnt worth it. thanks for the writeup.