Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Do ebay best offers even look at other bids?

I'm done, it's more frustration than it's worth. I had a card listed last week with a buy it now of 275. It quiet simply was a fishing expedtion. The only other card in PSA 10 had just sold for well over $300 (almost 400), with a bunch of bids, so I thought I'd give it a shot. 1 of 2 PSA10, with only one 9, and 1 eight. the 9 and one of tens belong to me.

The first offer was for $200, which was close. I arrainged a deal with the offering ebayer for a a PSA 9 that I had of the same card, for $75. The offers came in, $125, $100, $135, $140. All denied, as I would rather keep it for myself. The last day, the stupid offers start coming. The last one $40, and I had gotten pissed. So I email the guy back, and tell him to check other reject bids/offers before making low ball offers. $40 might buy a PSA 8, if you could even find this card. I offered to send a bag of my dog's crap for $40. He of course reports me to ebay, for my "profane email", which I can care less.

What has been everyone else's experience with the best offer type listing. This is just the last of frustrating listings. Why would someone even bother offering something that you know the seller will reject. This guy bid $40, when the last one sold for 10X that, AND I already rejected a bid for 5X his best offer. If he would have bothered reading the other bids, he would have realized either this card wasn't in his budget, or wasn't worth putting in his collection. Anyways, I'm done with these types of listings, they only given complete idiots a reason to email me.
Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!

Comments

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    You can't see the amounts of the other offers when you are making yours. Think about it. That would be totally unfair to the person who originally submitted an offer if you could see them. The someone could top him by $1 to win the right to buy the item.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    you are going to get some of these people who are clueless but I still use them since you will be able to find out the interest of legitimate buyers. many times I have negotiated with bidders after they make an offer and gotten the dela or more done. much like you did with the psa 9. the best way to look at it is, If you did not have the best offer out there , you would have never sold the 9. if selling the 9 was not worth the slight inconvenience of denying the other offers then you should not put the best offer option. if it was worth it to sell the 9 then you still made out . hopefully that helps ease your frustration.
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I've seen notes in these auctions that say "Offers below X% of the BIN price will be immediately rejected."

That might keep some of the nonesense offers at bay. Others, you will never stop them.

• << <i>you are going to get some of these people who are clueless but I still use them since you will be able to find out the interest of legitimate buyers. many times I have negotiated with bidders after they make an offer and gotten the dela or more done. much like you did with the psa 9. the best way to look at it is, If you did not have the best offer out there , you would have never sold the 9. if selling the 9 was not worth the slight inconvenience of denying the other offers then you should not put the best offer option. if it was worth it to sell the 9 then you still made out . hopefully that helps ease your frustration. >>

I guess that is the best way to look at it. I made some good coin off the 9. Not what I could have gotten for the ten, but I got a little cash and keep the ten in my collection.
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I have had pretty good success with the BuyIt Now/Best Offer strategy. You have to not take it personally when you get low ball offers and just decline them. I use Turbo Lister to list many of my items (free from eBay) and the latest version has a "Automatically Decline any offer below $XXX" function which can save you from ever seeing those low offers you're going to reject anyway.

The fact that you are listing with a "best offer" option is going to entice some people to "take a shot" with low offers.

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can't see the amounts of the other offers when you are making yours. Think about it. That would be totally unfair to the person who originally submitted an offer if you could see them. The someone could top him by $1 to win the right to buy the item. >>

Oh, that would be, like, an auction!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    just reject the offer and move on? I have gotten some items at 50% of the BIN price, but not really less than that. It worth a shot to try. I would say that you really don't need to call the bag of crap or whatever, who cares right?
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • I had a good one the other day a buyer wanted me to end an auction for 50.00 funny thing was the auction was already up to 68.00.

Most people who make best offers are fishing for deals sometimes they find them worse thing that can happen is you say no. If you wrote him a profane email after declining it then if he reports you to Ebay they could suspend your account. Not likely, but it could happen.

For all you know he may have been hoping you did not look at the same listings. You would be amazed at the number of people who do not read feedback nor past listings..
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I picked up a card once for $2.23 that was listed at $24.99 buy now with best offer.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
  • Uh wait a minute...

You yourself admit that you listed the card mainly as a "fishing expedition"...

...but then you get your panties all bunched up when buyers submit lowball offers...which in reality are simply "fishing expediditons" on the buyer's part.

HYPOCRITE!!!!!!

• Another thing to remember is just because one item sold for X.XX one Ebay does not mean the next will sell even close. I sold a card once for 55.00 and the buyer was thrilled to get it, but since then not one has sold for more than 10.00.

Sold another for 400.00 the closest one has come since then is 233.00