Home Sports Talk
Options

Phillies fans? Not as bad as it seems!

kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
This trade svcks! but it really isnt that bad.

abreau has 8 hr's in that park. he could be declining. you guys save his whole contract. move lidle and his contract. you get 4 prospects maybe 1 of the 4 makes the team sometime.

But being 14 games behind the division and 5 back of the card. long shot at doing anything this year.

you now will have 40 million to spend next year. plus if you move some more guys you will free up more money. maybe be ready to compete again with a younger team bc of all the prospects and vets you can add with the money..

good luck with the offseason. but maybe a miracle and you get the wildcard. you never know!

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Phils made a good trade getting rid of Abreu. He's no where near the player he was a couple of years ago and only a team like the yanks would take on that kind of salary for an underachiever like him.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Sorry grote I'd rather take an underacheiver than be the underacheivers.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Well, topps, not all teams can afford a 300 million dollar payroll. Still think the Phils are better without Abreu than with him. They have money to spend on a better free agent player in the off season aqnd they got a promising prospect in return from the Yanks, though this trade was more about the money than the talent involved.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Hey I know. I was just throwing out a friendly jab. Trust me, I'm as pissed at getting Abreu as you are happy with getting rid of him.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    I hear you, topps, I think the Yanks mainly added him as insurance if Sheffield or Matsui don't come back as planned. Sometimes the change of venue can give a guy a spark, too, so we'll see.

Actually, I could care less about the Phillies as I'm a Mets fan image

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the Phils made a good trade getting rid of Abreu. He's no where near the player he was a couple of years ago and only a team like the yanks would take on that kind of salary for an underachiever like him. >>

An underachiever with a .427 on base percentage. I'll take it

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    He had 18 home runs in the first half of 2005, and 14 home runs in the season+ since...something really changed for him.

Also I heard the phillies GM say in the press conference something along the lines of 'don't expect the team to be competitive next year, either'.

How is that possible? Tons of talent and they can't win any games?
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the Phils made a good trade getting rid of Abreu. He's no where near the player he was a couple of years ago and only a team like the yanks would take on that kind of salary for an underachiever like him. >>

An underachiever with a .427 on base percentage. I'll take it >>

Agreed. I think this was a great move for the Yankees. The guy walks 100 times a year, and the short porch in right field will probably help him also. You put him in the 6 slot in the lineup when Matsui gets back and man, oh man-- that WILL be a helluva lineup. Who cares if they can't pitch? They still have Mussina, and there isn't a starter on Earth who will want to go through that lineup more than twice in a game. And if you're scoring 6+ runs a game you can trot whomever you want out there onto the bump and it won't make a lick of difference.
  • Options
    I agree that the change of venue may help Abreu and that the Yanks have a pretty fearsome lineup. However, in the postseason, great pitching almost always shuts down great hitting and the Yanks have some serious question marks there, assuming they make the postseason.

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I have heard that Gillick is a genius ... my ass.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This trade svcks! but it really isnt that bad.

abreau has 8 hr's in that park. he could be declining. you guys save his whole contract. move lidle and his contract. you get 4 prospects maybe 1 of the 4 makes the team sometime.

But being 14 games behind the division and 5 back of the card. long shot at doing anything this year.

you now will have 40 million to spend next year. plus if you move some more guys you will free up more money. maybe be ready to compete again with a younger team bc of all the prospects and vets you can add with the money..

good luck with the offseason. but maybe a miracle and you get the wildcard. you never know! >>

If there's anything I hate it's c@cky Mets fans giving out sympathy to Phillies fans. This means of course that the Mets are running away so bad with the division that their fans are feeling sorry for the rest. Dam that p*sses me off. image

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    ~"I have heard that Gillick is a genius ... my ass"~

Well he used to be, when had the highest payroll in the game in Toronto and was winning back to back World Series Titles. image
    He has milked that gig for a long time.
  • Options
    The guy has 9 (read that NINE) home runs and he makes 13 million this year and 15 million next year--how is this NOT a good trade for the Phillies? They talked about trading Abreu last year. I know Gillick coming in wants to make that HIS team, so getting rid of a guy like that is something that he needed to do. That isn't to say this is a bad trade for the Yanks, I think he will do alot better in Pinstripes. Like Axtell brought up, his HR production has gone waaaaay down over the past year and he's another of those players 'brought up' in steroid conversations (and I'm certainly not accusing him, I know he was never a big HR hitter). This was basically the best they could do, and I think both teams did well. The Yankees though thinking Lidle is going to help their pitching staff is a bit much, that short porch in right certainly won't help him.
    Jay
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I am glad that Abreu is gone provided the Phillies use the money to go out and get something. If Gillick is serious about the Phillies looking to compete in a few years, than I hope he is fired tomorrow. Gillick seems to be a 68 year old guy that has all the patience in the world because he no longer has the drive ...

Give me an Epstein as GM
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>I am glad that Abreu is gone provided the Phillies use the money to go out and get something. If Gillick is serious about the Phillies looking to compete in a few years, than I hope he is fired tomorrow. Gillick seems to be a 68 year old guy that has all the patience in the world because he no longer has the drive ...

Give me an Epstein as GM >>

Here, here. image

Well spoken...and get a manager that will fire up these young players. I'd like to see a younger guy, but how about Jack McKeon(?) formerly of the Marlins. He has a local connection, being from Toms River, NJ. I hear him often on Miami radio and he's a great guy, obviously not too old to lead a team.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Phils have one big strike against them...they play in Philly...that town is for losers. They will *iss away Utley and Howard like they did
    Rolen and Thome. It amazing how you can go 25 years and have no pitching. Schilling was wasted and got new life..Phils owe it to
    the other studs...just trade them away for garbage before you ruin them for good!

If I wasn't so anti-bandwagon jumping, I would of jumped this ship long ago...is it football season yet? How can you all root for more than
    one Philly team? disgracful!

JS