Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Following in the footsteps of my idol SYRACUSIAN

I too overpaid for a piece today that I really wanted (although I only went up to 1.5x Krause UNC image).

Not an uncommon coin, but just absolutely gorgeous color and condition. Not too many 18th-century business strikes get a PL designation.

Comments

• LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Wow. Absolutely gorgeous coin and nice color, too! image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA

• << <i>Wow. Absolutely gorgeous coin and nice color, too! image

-Amanda >>

imageimage
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

So which one of the two photographs is closer to the real colour in hand?

Not too many 18th-century business strikes get a PL designation.

Not too many 18th,19th and 20th century business strikes get a PL designation alltogether.The TPGs are unreasonably stingy with PLs when it comes to Darkside coins.

As for its value, remember that Krause often underprices British coins, the recent Colin Cooke sale exceeded even Spink's prices, and GB is far from an unpopular country, which reminds me that I have to ask JJ how high Belgium is, in his blacklist.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Not too many 18th-century business strikes get a PL designation.

Not too many 18th,19th and 20th century business strikes get a PL designation alltogether.The TPGs are unreasonably stingy with PLs when it comes to Darkside coins. >>

I've noticed (and lamented) the very same thing, which is why I found this piece unusual. I can't tell from the pictures, but I figure there's gotta be some serious mirror action going on to warrant NGC awarding the PL...

<< <i>As for its value, remember that Krause often underprices British coins, the recent Colin Cooke sale exceeded even Spink's prices, and GB is far from an unpopular country, which reminds me that I have to ask JJ how high Belgium is, in his blacklist. >>

That factored into my decision as well, although I've seen a number of people here mention that in order to qualify for Spink "UNC" pricing, the coin has to be full red, so by that definition, this coin is only an EF, not UNC (I find that assertion ludicrous, but I'm not an expert). By that definition, an MS66 BN would not be UNC either. Bullspit! I checked pricing on this and other dates in the series in online shops in the UK, as well as auction results, and it certainly seems to me that dealers at least are ignoring that "RED" requirement when pricing their coins. I see plenty of RB and BN being offered at or above Spink.

I still think the whole red vs. brown issue is a red herring and eye appeal wins out.

While it may have been the case that in order to garner Spink prices coins used to have to be red, I think we're in a market now where RBs and BNs are garnering Spink prices, and full RDs are bringing moon money.

What also makes this difficult is that Spink only prices as high as EF for this series, which granted means US AU through low-MS (MS60-62?).

This coin is priced in Spink at 200 pounds in EF, which translates to roughly $375. So where does UNC lie?
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I had a chance to chat with James @ NEN via email about this coin, and I remarked that in the last 2 years I've been watching their inventory, I cannot recall the last time I saw a British copper business strike with a PL designation. He said that to his recollection they've only had one other, and that was a 63BN PL, oddly enough, from the same source as this coin.

Edit: I was disappointed to find out that NGC does not list PL in its population report, the same way CAM and UCAM are indicated. image