Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Suggestions wanted for YNs

Our local Coin Club here in Albuquerque is planning to make an effort to attract and work with more Young Numismatists. We have about 115 regular members, and get about 50 to 60 at our monthly meetings. We have a very active group, and want to work with YNs.

We have a recently retired member who has volunteered to help get it going, but he would like suggestions that have worked in other places. Some of our thoughts range from Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts to having an auxiliary club that could meet on a Saturday to make it easier for them to attend.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Bob
I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    You could contact your local boyscout council and see if someone would be willing to help you set up a coin collecting Venturing Crew.
    Venturing was set up as an alternative to the traditional Boyscout program. Geared toward what teenagers wants and needs are.

Venturing is a coed youth run program with adult advisors.
    age 14-20

This way the youth would all be like minded and have something to
    work towards.

I am the Advisor for a Venturing Crew out of Germantown WI.
    I am a Venturing Roundtable Commissioner

I have also received the Venturing Leadership Award.

It is the highest Award in Venturing that a Council can give to a volunteer in Venturing for thier dedication and service to the Venturing program of the Boyscouts of America

Venturing crews can be set up in anyway-with any uniform the kids want, as long as you follow the Guide to Safe Scouting.

Perfect for your needs.

You also get insurance coverage when traveling to,during and coming back from an event

Any questions you can P.M.me or post them here

Advisor Jim

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    ManMan Posts: 1,002
    How about an after school program I know around here public schools allow space and time after school for kids to join and form clubs of all types.
    You may need to know a YN in school to have them suggest a club that your group sponsors.
  • Options
    I am responsible for the Money and Medal Programme of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and we have in stock quite a number of FAO coins from around the world.

The idea of young numismatist clubs appeals to me and I would like to donate a number of coins to this club.

If you are interested please PM me with details of roughly how many young members are involved and I will see what we can do

Harold Angel
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Musky - Forgive my ignorance, but what do "venturing crews" do?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for a neat YN activity, consider working with a local dealer to have the kids attribute, grade, price and package lower value raw coins. (They should work in pencil, of course.) Many dealers would be happy to have the help, and would of course provide guidance, reference books, supplies and host the group's meeting. The best workers may even end up with an offer of regular after-school work.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.