Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can someone help identify this coin dated 1917? (German)

My boys & I were going thru the latest additions to their collection (courtesy of a very generous "secret santa"!), when I found one we hadn't identified from an earlier trade.

I know it's German, but can't find it anywhere in Krause to tell if it's normal coinage, "notgeld", a private issue, or what.......

Can someone with expertise in that area help?

Since my scanner is still not working...............

It's approx. the size of a penny, looks to be zinc, and is dated 1917.

One side has a large "10" centered, with "PFENNIG" straight across below, with the curved date under that. Curved across the top is "STADT FRANKFURT A/M." There is a triangle cut out of the top at 12 o'clock thru the letter "A" of Frankfurt.

The other side has the standard "crowned eagle", with a straight line above the crown, and the triangle cut out right above that.

Any ideas? Is the triangle part of the design or common practice, or just someone's mutilation?

Thanks for any help on this one!

- - Daveimageimage

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    It is notgeld. The triangle hole is as minted. I don't have access to the catalogs to provide a specific cat#. Try Ron Guth's site: germancoins.com
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Yep Notgeld from the city of Frankfurt a. M. (Frankfurt on the Main (sp) River) in the state of Hesse-Nassau. It is made of zinc and like 1960nygiants said the triangular hole is as issued. They struck just two issues, one in 1917 and one in 1919. The 1919 issue is NOT holed. The Lamb catalog number for your piece is L131.1 The Funck catalog number would be F136.1 I don't have Upton or Menzel catalog numbers for it handy. It is a very common token probably not worth more than three to five dollars.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info! I was looking in Krause under Frankfurt, which partially explains things (I'm not at ALL familiar with the German States!).........................

I appreciate the help & background!

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    Another useful Notgeld Link.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile