Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Pennzoni Storage Cases for PSA cards...

Has anyone ever bought their Oak Carry case that holds approx 160 PSA graded cards? It has 3 rows inside it, seperated by lucite dividers? Here is why I ask...about 3 months ago I got an Oak one and an oak one that was painted shiny black. I have just recently noticed that the plain oak one gives off an AWFUL odor, but thepainted one does not. FURTHERMORE, when you take the individual cards out, the ones that were more exposed (at the front or back of one of the 3 rows) also carry the odor!!

These are all encased cards, so my concern is less than if they were raw, as the smell would probably be in the cardboard. A few days ago i removed all cards from the oak case and layed them out on my floor. The smell seems to be just about gone from the individual cards and i am confident in a few more days it will be gone.

I contacted Pennzoni and I have to call again tomorrow am to get a RGA # to send the case to their lab.
they basically told me thru email that the yhave sold millions of dollars worth of these cases and NEVER heard this! Then they kind of accused me of tampering and putting something on the case...anyway if anyone has any experience w/ these please chime in!!!

Comments

• Hello-

I've wanted to buy a case for some time now. Were you pleased with the quality/value of the cases (assuming the odor problem is an exception)? Thanks.

Brian

Collecting Vintage Dallas Cowboys

Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • if there was no odor issue...yes....but i wouldn't recommend it due to the issue i am having. I have now ordered a bunch of different storage things from MJ ROOP (www.mjroop.com). Their stuff is awesome and they ship lightning fast. Yesterday i ordereed some storage boxes for my psa stuff from them. They are not made of wood so there should be no issues. They are not as heavy duty as the wood ones, but that just means you can't stack them....i highly recommend MJ Roop...
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I have several MJRoop boxes and even though they are a bit expensive, they do the trick really well.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Not to hijack this thread or anything, but is anyone else currently having trouble in communicating with the Roop people via e-mail? I sent them two, inquiring about a recent order of mine, last week and I haven't heard a peep from them. Did they attend the National, and has that kept them too busy?
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig

Sorry to hear about this and I'm clueless. Can you describe what kind of odor?

Also, is there a glass door on those cases?

Just curious.
    mike
    Mike
  • DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT buy from Pennzoni. I've had a horrible experience with them. I think their cases are absoulte garbage. I would recommend sportsdisplays.com. They are more expensive, but well worth it. They make an excellent product; truly a work of art.

• I, too, have bought from Sports Displays (4 cases to be exact). They are expensive, but nice. Better than what I could make.

At any rate, when I bought the first two, they had the felt lining, and the shelf that held the cards had a groove to set the card in. In a cost cutting measure (note that the price wasn't cut though) that they no longer use the flet material. Rather, it is just inexpensive black colored wood. The shelves no longer have the groove to set your card in. You just have to balance it on the shelf. They also no longer add a latch. It is just velcro that holds the door closed.

I liked the first ones I got, but was disappointed with the last ones. I wish they would have stuck with the original, or dropped the price on the newer ones.

Just my $0.02.

~IMS
  • The odor is very strong like a VINEGAR - if they try to tell me that I did something to cause the odor i will be very upsat w/ them. They gave me a return auth # and made me pay the shipping back also...
  • the case does not have any glass - it is all wood and has a carry handle like a suitcase. It has 2 plexiglass dividers inside to form 3 rows of slabbed cards.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig

I bought a couple of bat racks from SportsDisplays.com - very nicely made.

If you hate the ones you have, I would recommend you look into the ones made by sportsdisplays since they have a glass front which will block out some of the ambient UV rays that could affect your cards.

Just my opine.
    mike
    Mike
  • I've bought a Jersey holder and two ball cube holders from sportsdisplays and they are top notch. Pricey but good. Sorry to hear they have lowered quality but not the price. I was looking to buy a bat holder in the near future.

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I wouldn't get all goo goo gaa gaa over MJ either. I've built better in my school days past in shop class.
  • the roop boxes are fine except for the locks, which are not well made in my opinion. the biggest issue is what do you store in them? sounds like a rhetorical question but I am not going to store my 34 Goudey's, 52 Topps or pretty much anything with any value in them since I don't have a safe large enough to store the Roop cases. Maybe I am too paranoid but for now, they sit empty in a closet while my cards are in safes bolted to the floor.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • I have three wooden graded cards storage boxes from Pennzoni and have been well pleased with them.
  • Just an update for anyone who followed this post. Pennzoni emailed me and advised me to call them and get a RETURN AUTH # for their lab to look at it. I did just that and sent it UPS to them ($10) by my expense as they would only reimburse the shipping if they found it to be their problem. I did everything they asked, sent it to the address they requested, and put the RGA # all over the box. I looked on UPS today at tracking # 1z18291x0347697865......THEY REFUSED DELIVERY AND SENT IT BACK TO ME!!!! This is the most pathetic service I have ever seen. I have sent them an email asking what is going on and will hopefully hear something on Monday!

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY FROM PENNZONI.......DON'T!!!!
  • bump - just to make sure people that knew the old thread saw the update
  • I own several of the cases and have never had a problem. I think they're a good value.
  • Just got one of these for X-mas. How do you keep the cards from tipping forward in the case? the shelf is not wide enough for them to lean back.

<< <i>I, too, have bought from Sports Displays (4 cases to be exact). They are expensive, but nice. Better than what I could make.

At any rate, when I bought the first two, they had the felt lining, and the shelf that held the cards had a groove to set the card in. In a cost cutting measure (note that the price wasn't cut though) that they no longer use the flet material. Rather, it is just inexpensive black colored wood. The shelves no longer have the groove to set your card in. You just have to balance it on the shelf. They also no longer add a latch. It is just velcro that holds the door closed.

I liked the first ones I got, but was disappointed with the last ones. I wish they would have stuck with the original, or dropped the price on the newer ones.

Just my $0.02.

~IMS >>

• << <i>Just got one of these for X-mas. How do you keep the cards from tipping forward in the case? the shelf is not wide enough for them to lean back.
    >>

Just another one of their many problems.

They are without a doubt, the poorest made products I have ever seen. But their customer service is even worse. I would never buy from them again.
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd never deal with a company that treats its customers like the way you described. Refusing delivery of your package after telling you to send it back is outrageous. If you paid by credit card, I'd immediately file a chargeback.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I have one and I like it , also have several of their wall displays and they are pretty nice. have the wood roop boxes and they are another fine product, just don;t hold as many cards. can't speak of their customer service

• Once the case was mounted up on the wall, I just set the cards on the shelves. A little closer to the front than half way, and just let the card lean against the back. I haven't had a card tip over yet, but I don't ever open the case either.

Maybe a piece of black painted wood stock on the front edge of the shelf will help with your problem. You can have them all the way towards that, and lean them against the back. Just a suggestion.

<< <i>Just got one of these for X-mas. How do you keep the cards from tipping forward in the case? the shelf is not wide enough for them to lean back.

<< <i>I, too, have bought from Sports Displays (4 cases to be exact). They are expensive, but nice. Better than what I could make.

Just my $0.02.

~IMS >>

>>

• TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Sorry, I hit reply on accident.

I have several Pennzoni cases and like them a lot. They may not be the greatest quality compared to others, but are nice for the price. Besides, it is the cards inside them that count.

Anyway, to avoid having the cards lean foward either put two screws or small hooks into the wall so the case can lean on them. I prefer the screws because you can adjust them. They should be about 14 inches apart. I have done this to all my cases and you cannot even notice they are tilted.
  • Customer service has been very polite so far. Got an interesting reply about the cards leaning forward:

"The cards are supposed to lean against the acrylic this is how the case is designed we actually made the first ones for the President of PSA and he loves them, even has them in his offices."

I should say that they are secure when they lean forward--they can't fall off or anything--but that seems odd to me. Anyone?

Thanks for the tips so far.
    That seems strange to me. I don't like them leaning forward. I think they display much nicer when the case is slightly tilted.

Also, I got a case for Christmas and it originally came in damaged. My wife called them and said she was unable to take the case back to the post office and they had someone from FEDEX come a couple of days later to pick it up. Then they sent another one without any additional shipping charge. The second case was in great condition. I am not questioning anyone who says they have received bad customer service. I just wanted to share a positive experience I had.
  • I bought one of the wall mount display cases and when I received it the box was not crushed on the edge but the case was. I called them and they sent me another and I bought the damaged one for $25.
    imageimageimage

• << <i>Customer service has been very polite so far. Got an interesting reply about the cards leaning forward:

"The cards are supposed to lean against the acrylic this is how the case is designed we actually made the first ones for the President of PSA and he loves them, even has them in his offices."

I should say that they are secure when they lean forward--they can't fall off or anything--but that seems odd to me. Anyone?

I asked the same question and I received the same answer.

My problem with the wall case is the snaps seem to get stuck when you need to open them. The customer service told me to use a butter knife to open the case.

• So do you store them with the cards leaning forward?

The butter knife works well for me--inserted along the side near the snap.

<< <i>

<< <i>I asked the same question and I received the same answer.

My problem with the wall case is the snaps seem to get stuck when you need to open them. The customer service told me to use a butter knife to open the case. >>