Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just Got back From the National.....

Hello all! I just got back from the National in Anaheim. I had a table there but left a day early. I don't know about anyone else, but it didn't seem like a real National to me. Not much excitement. I saw the ex-Gretsky Honus Wagner card and it was something. There were alot of really interesting things there, but....
There was a dealer there (DSD cards of Santa Barbara) that had some of the most interesting cards and items that I'd seen it quite a while. Some great early Hockey and Football, as well as Baseball. It was stuff you don't see every day.
The prices were extreme, especially on anything pre-war. Not much demand for later date stuff unless it was a bargain. I did ok. I sold alot of my HOF tobacco cards and autographed stuff. I also sold a lot of mid grade 50's and 60's baseball as well. I guess anything will sell if it is priced right. Most of my stuff was scooped up by other dealers.
It seemed no one was there to sell. I think that Ebay has educated everyone to know what things are worth and has given even the most novice of sellers a window of opportunity to sell, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your own point of view.
I had one person offer me a low-mid-grade 33 Goudey Babe Ruth. He said he didn't know what he wanted for it, but had seen one "just like it" sell for $2750 on Ebay. I told him that the SMR on it was $2200, and he said he wanted $2700. I thanked him for the opportunity but that he should sell it himself on Ebay.
I think that one of the main problems was that the admission price ($17.50 at the door) was exorbitant and parking was $9.00. None of the days were very crowded. People were generally pleasant but not too much excitement (as I said).
I hope anyone else who went had a good time and felt some excitement that I didn't.
Regards
Gary
We are always better off than we deserve. image

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Gary
    Thanx for the report.

Glad you did ok anyways.

That's a bit for the gate but it is the National - and I would've thought people would ignore the high price.

I think I remember the 92 National was like 6 bucks to get in?

People from the boards have become friends over time and I would like to go - just to hang out with some of them.

I had met Griffins when he came to San Antonio - great guy! Very generous. I look forward to meeting a lot of people.

It's kind of disappointing about the crowd size. Heck, I remember when there would be like 50-60K people who would attend the show.

What is the current estimate of the amount of attendees?

And BTW, I saw the old Gretsky Honus also - and I agree - it's sharp looking - some say too sharp? image

Again, thanx for the report
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I have a booth at the National as well and was concerned about the Anaheim location. However, to my surprise, there were a lot of people with very good attendance, crowded at times, a very good attendance for VIP preview night Wednesday. The floor was buzzing and people were looking for that high end item. My lower end cards were not in demand, only the better quality higher end ones, even for commons. The prewar was not much in demand, but demand leaned more towards high end 50's, 60's and even 70's. There was a lot of yelling from the crowds from the Topps corporate booth, probably from give aways or some sort of drawing. I feel most people I talked to were very positive about the Anaheim show and I have
    done quite well so far. It might appear that advanced collectors
    prefer to look at purchasing their primo card over buying something sight unseen on ebay, as once bought there, you're stuck with it.
    I felt overall this show was much more exciting for me than Cleveland ever was for a National. The number of dealers exhibiting was
    not as big as Cleveland or Chicago, but that is the loss of those
    who chose not to treck to CA to support the National to sell.
    My opinion!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

And BTW, I saw the old Gretsky Honus also - and I agree - it's sharp looking - some say too sharp? image

mike >>

Dumb question, Is that card graded? If so by who?
    Thanks

Matt
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

mike >>

Dumb question, Is that card graded? If so by who?
    Thanks

Matt >>

It's graded an "8" by PSA.

Steve
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I flew back today after attending the show since Wednesday afternoon. I met nearly every dealer as we tried to spread the word about SportsCollectorsDaily(Maraya, I may have missed you--sorry) and most I talked with said things were going well...especially those who carried good selections of raw vintage cards and had a decent location. I'm sure there are exceptions but I only ran into a few who said it was extremely slow. I don't believe attendance records will be set so there may not have been enough collectors for every dealer to make a terrific profit.

The hobbyists carrying want lists are still the backbone of the industry and they were out in full force. I do agree with Maraya that high grade was driving a lot of the action but that's typical at a show like this. Yet there was one dealer who carried NOTHING but monster boxes filled with cheap post-1975 stuff (nothing over $1) and he was doing tremendous business.

Many people complain about the lack of new collectors entering the hobby. I'm not sure we necessarily "need" a National for what it offers beyond any other major show, but the industry does need a National to keep the focus on this hobby in the mainstream media. 3 LA TV stations were there, plus LA's ESPN radio station, the LA Times, Orange County Register, Yahoo sports and CNN Money. The industry makes this a major yearly event and that is how it's perceived. Sports fans who see those stories do get turned on to this hobby. Without the coverage, they might not give it a thought. So I believe the National is here to stay and that it's a necessity for those who depend upon it for a living...or like having like-minded people to coverse with on boards like this.
  • Options

<< <i>The prewar was not much in demand, but demand leaned more towards high end 50's, 60's and even 70's. >>

This is a surprise. I heard other dealers saying the exact opposite. They were busy selling pre-war stuff, but couldn't get anyone to look at their 60s and 70s cards. Congrats. Nice to hear you had a nice show.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    This surprised me as well. By far the biggest growth in the hobby I've seen in the last 5 years is in Pre WW2, and especially in Pre WW1 and 19th century. The things that have tanked the most is '50's and especially '60's high grade.
    The attendance seemed really low in comparison to Cleveland and Chicago. I was there all day Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and most of the day Friday. Dealers seemed to have much less on their tables since many came from the east coast and midwest (and whined non stop about having to come out to California) but there was much more quality material.
    I stopped by tonite on my way out to dinner with a few table holders and they said Anaheim had been killed for '09 in favor of Houston. It's really not about what is best for the hobby or dealers, but rather what is best for the promoter and easiest for the dealers, especially the old timers with high priority table selection.
    Bottom line is ebay is killing shows. Why pay 3X ebay prices for the privelege of picking it up in person. LOTS of stuff went unsold. Cleveland was better than Chicago which was better than Anaheim. Ft. Washington is done at least for a while, Hollywood Park is a waste of time, and the SF show is in rapid decline. I printed up a clean concise wantlist, but when I tried to hand it to dealers they didn't want any part of it. One told me if he had any of those he'd put it on ebay. Service is history for many.
    Fuller mentioned DCD sports having a great table. It's the first time Doug and Trevor set up, and they had decent prices on quality material, and I believe did quite well. In contrast, there is another dealer I've been consistantly winning mid grade cards for 25.-30 each. He had a few I needed and when I asked the price he told me 150. each. When I produced an invoice from him for last weeks ebay wins at 1/6 of that he told me show prices were considerably higher (I agree, but not more than double), and suggested I bid on them in a few weeks when he puts them on ebay. Idiot, now he'll pay shipping both ways and ebay fees, and alienate a customer and his friends while he is attempting to start a new business. There was a fair amount of this going on.
    For me the National has become more of a social event than a buying oppurtunity. When I was a kid in the mid '70's the big show was in Anaheim (it became the national a few years later, it was the first convention, starting in '69) and if you had money left on Sunday you had to find a deal, because it was going to be a long winter without cards. Now it's not big deal if you don't buy- dealers price much higher than Mastro prices, hoping for that one big killing, and I don't have to buy anything because ebay never closes.
    The lack of success in this show wasn't due to venue, it was due to changing ways of collecting.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Thanks for the additional reports. It is interesting how everyone comes away with varying perceptions of the show and how it went (or is still going). I guess it is a matter of perception, based upon one's expectations, what one does and sees at the show, etc. Even though it was my perception that graded pre-war was what most were looking for, obviously that was just my little corner of the show world this weekend. I'm glad that others saw the show as a positive and see that it has a positive future. I didn't mean to sound too downbeat about it at all. After all, I did ok as a dealer and, yes, there was alot of yelling and screaming from the Topps booth. And, yes, there were some mighty pretty young ladies around in some of the booths as well. I saw some old friends and, overall, had a good time.
    It amazes me how so many dealers trek all the way across the country for this and other shows. But they sure seem to have a love of the hobby (and/or business). More power to them. In looking back, I should have spoken up sooner before the show so that I could have met a few people from the boards so as to put a face with the name. For sure next time.
    Regards
    Gary
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    As I stated elsewhere, I really enjoyed the show (went yesterday). It was great to put names to faces of dealers I purchase from through the mail and over the Internet. I think it is also great to see so many cards in one place; I think the quality and selection were good (prices on many things is another matter) and definately refreshing from my local dying show I still go to for some reason that is nothing but modern stuff, Yugio and Pokemon. Since I am in California, I do hope the National comes back to California sometime in the next couple of years.

I did note that of those dealers selling graded cards, 99 percent seemed to be PSA. I think the only SGC I saw was at BMWs table; some dealers had a smattering of GAI. The PSA booth was really busy with a lot of submissions. A rep told me that they had half of their grading force at the show. I was a little disappointed in the booth inasmuch I would have liked to talk with someone about the ins and out of the grading process; everyone working there seemed to be of the rank and file.

All in all, I am glad I went. In my opinion, it would be a shame to lose shows like these. To me, there is nothing like being surrounded by sports cards and others who love them. It also brought back memories for me of my first National, in S.F. in the 80s, when I went with my grandparents who got me in the hobby and who are now no longer with me. I like to think my grandfather was with me yesterday smiling down on me and all my purchases... image
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    The hobby took some bashing in the LA Times, talking about before there were 100,000 at the 92 Anaheim show, and only 30,000 expected for this show. ComicCon gets over 100,000 each year.

I agree with the thoughts about the pre-war stuff, a lot of it there to be had.

I went for two days and would do it again.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    Thanx for the reports guys.

Your experiences, perceptions and accounts are much appreciated. It's almost like I was there.

Just like the market has its corrections, it seems the same has hit our hobby.

I'm optimistic. The modern market which I support and like is trying to move in the right direction and the vintage which I have an affection for seems very strong.

I look at some of the "boom" years as a spike or anomaly in the cycle that may happen from time to time.

The next few years will be interesting...

Let's hope Topps and UD have something to smile about?
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>The hobby took some bashing in the LA Times, talking about before there were 100,000 at the 92 Anaheim show, and only 30,000 expected for this show. ComicCon gets over 100,000 each year.

I agree with the thoughts about the pre-war stuff, a lot of it there to be had.

I went for two days and would do it again. >>

re: the L.A. Times article, a sample quote:
    "Some collectors say the card and memorabilia industry is trying to manufacture scarcity."

not a very flattering statement

also, no mention of PSA or CU anywhere....i thot there would be some sort of reference to 3rd party grading as a transition in the marketplace, but no, only gloom and doom about how the rise and fall of the market killed speculators

dumba$$es....thanks for the great promotion image
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    As long as we're giving the L.A. Times their due; the article sucked. All it focused on was the overproduced material of the 90s not turning into college funds. Open cheeks, insert head. They featured a picture of one dealer and they couldn't even get his name right; usual SOP Times coverage:

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>I think that one of the main problems was that the admission price ($17.50 at the door) was exorbitant and parking was $9.00. >>

You probably hit the nail on the head. Shows with admission fees are doomed to begin with.
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    From the Los Angeles Times
    Spinning Their Wheels
    Baseball card market has gone flat since the glory days of 1991
    By Greg Johnson
    Times Staff Writer

July 29, 2006

David Rima sat cross-legged on the concrete floor of the Anaheim Convention Center this week, gazing at a dozen century-old baseball trading cards. The corporate headhunter had just spent about $300 to augment his collection of the tiny cards that were distributed long ago by tobacco companies, and he still had more money to spend.

"They're so beautiful, so fascinating," Rima said.

No matter, he conceded, that it is virtually impossible for "a working man" to snare all 700 cards in the 1909 set that is best known for the mint-condition Honus Wagner card that in 2001 sold for $1.25 million. That card is on display at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Anaheim, the biggest collectors show of the season, which runs through Sunday.

This year's show is expected to draw about 35,000 visitors, a stark contrast to the 1991 event that was held in Anaheim at the height of a sports card collecting frenzy. More than 100,000 treasure seekers in 1991 jammed the convention center, forcing a harried fire marshal to repeatedly close the show doors.

The sports memorabilia industry continues to suffer from the glut of new baseball cards that entered the market and overwhelmed many longtime collectors who simply stopped collecting. And the industry that is synonymous with bubble gum suffered a classic speculative bubble that burst, leaving many hobbyists saddled with cartons of essentially worthless cards.

"There was a fascination with sports trading cards that was fueled by the belief that you could get rich quick," said Tracy Hackler, an associate publisher with Dallas-based Beckett Media, which publishes sports collectibles magazines.

During the 1991 Anaheim show, thousands of youngsters scrambled to grab free promotional cards being distributed by manufacturers. "They'd get 10 of their friends to stand in line and collect 10 bags," said Jeff Rosenberg, president of Houston-based Tristar Productions, which produces sports collectible shows and authenticates memorabilia. "Then they turned around and sold them to collectors inside the show who were paying hundreds of dollars."

Although there are trading cards for other sports — football, basketball, hockey and tennis — baseball cards have long dominated sales. In 1991, the wholesale value of all new sports trading cards soared to a record $1.2 billion; last year sales fell to $250 million, according to Card Trade, an Iola, Wisc.-based trade magazine. The card glut can be tied to a 1981 court decision that stripped Topps Co. of its exclusive contract to produce baseball cards. Donruss, Fleet, Upper Deck and other rivals quickly issued their own baseball cards.

By the late 1980s, many collectors had embraced a risky strategy. Rather than buying cards of proven players, they spent freely on cases of cards to find rookie cards for promising newcomers, hoping that their value would skyrocket if the players enjoyed successful careers.

Bo Jackson's 1987 rookie cards by Fleer and Donruss sold for $15 to $20 in 1991, according to Card Trade magazine, but his cards plummeted in value after a severe hip injury forced him to retire. Today, they sell for about $1. Todd Van Poppel, touted as a pitching phenom when he was drafted out of high school by the Oakland A's, saw his Upper Deck rookie cards sell for $3.50 in 1991. Van Poppel's career fizzled and his rookie card now sells for less than a dime, according to Card Trade.

Card companies also fed the trading card frenzy by introducing multiple 700-card sets of the same baseball players. "A lot of companies felt like they'd struck gold in 1991," said Don Williams, public relations manager for Carlsbad-based The Upper Deck Inc. "They were trying to get the fast buck by continually putting product out there, which got the marketplace out of alignment."

The industry still is trying to recover from the burst bubble. Last year, Fleer was forced to sell its assets to Upper Deck. And venerable Topps on Friday agreed to nominate dissident shareholders — some of them former card collectors frustrated by the company's business strategy — to its board of directors.

To try to revive interest, players and sports leagues are reducing the number of licensed manufacturers and product lines sold. Topps and Upper Deck are now the only card companies licensed by Major League Baseball, and Upper Deck is the only licensed hockey card distributor.

Despite the widespread slump in sports collectibles, some older and scarcer items continue to increase in value. The 1909 Wagner card that sold for $1.25 million in 2001, for example, last sold in 1996 for $640,000. In December, the bat Babe Ruth used to hit the first home run in Yankee Stadium sold for $1.256 million, the most ever paid for a baseball bat.

Some collectors say the card and memorabilia industry is trying to manufacture scarcity.

Older memorabilia, critics say, is scarce by its very nature. But there's no way to tell the long-term value of "game-used" jerseys, bats, balls and other gear that's being pushed into the market by active players.

The industry also is struggling to coexist with the Internet, where shady operators compete with established dealers and use TV commercials to lure youngsters who've grown up with digital toys and seem flummoxed by the thought of playing with pieces of cardboard.

Many existing collectors are "increasingly disenchanted with the modern game, what with the steroids, the price of tickets and the whole bureaucracy it's turned into," said Michael Hefner, president of Lelands, a Seaford, N.Y.-based company that in 2005 auctioned off $15 million in sports memorabilia. "They want to get back to a simpler time."

Still, at the Anaheim show it was clear that some athletes continue to have a magnetic appeal.

Alan Shih, a Corona-based doctor, paid nearly $300 Wednesday for a pair of autographs from former USC football stars Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart. Shih doesn't view the autographs as an investment. "It's simply nostalgia," he said. "It's something for me to hold onto."

But the sports memorabilia industry could find it difficult to control supply and demand, said Robert Shiller, a Yale economics professor who published "Irrational Exuberance," a book that took its name from the phrase made famous by former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan.

"Alan Greenspan and, now, Ben Bernanke have been charged with managing the scarcity of our currency," Shiller said, "and some people are pessimistic about their ability to do even that."

If the powerful Fed chairman can't control the economy, the concept of a baseball card price bubble shouldn't surprise anyone. "Fundamental value is so intangible in this industry and speculative bubbles are especially likely," Shiller said.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    The admission price was just crazy. I spent $32 before buying anything (with admission, $9 parking and $6 on a hot dog and soda).

Every day should have been a kids free day. The cost for a dad and two kids to attend would be over $60.

Other hobbies are doing extremely well (Comic Con, Coins). The strength of the leagues isn't what it once was, but you'd think the state of the hobby would be healthier than it is today.

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    WTF?

AJ Adande wasn't there letting people play w/ his balls? I heard he was busted trying to scalp press passes in the lobby?

Amazing!

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    Adande is kinda a weirdo, for those who don't know he's a beat writer for the LA Times. He does some TV shows for ESPN and Fox Sports cable channels. I agree with him sometimes, but I am not too shocked he got busted. He seems like a hustler type of writer.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    I love how so many people on here think attendance makes the show. I spent friday not hanging out with reeed from da card world and about 7 othere dealers . and they all agreed. Attendance is slower at the ca shows but sales volume is higher. So all those who love the east coast shows quit bashing th ca shows just cause you cant make it. if these guys were not making money they would not come to california. Me personally when i go to the clevland shows I can't buy much wax it cost to much to ship . With the national in ca I was able to spend 35,000 on vintage wax and loaded a rental truck and drove 2 hours home. So every venue has it good and bad for some people. But my point is attendance means nothing. The attendance in ca may be light but face it alot of the collectors in ca are sitting on wads of money eager to spend at a good show.
    When i used to be a dealer i would rather have 2,000 people show up and make 10,000
    then have 20,000 show up and only make 1,000

So before you bash and kill a show because of attendance ask the dealers what they thought and how well they made out.
    I know i made a lot of dealers happy they didn't bring all that heavy wax for nothing.
  • Options
    Regarding Anaheim 09, this has not even been voted on yet. The
    NASCC will mail ballots to all dealers who participated at the National. Anaheim being off the books is someone's rumour who hopes this will be so. The just passed Anaheim show was a success and I found most dealers very happy with it. Cleveland is not a good National and has not been for years. A National in Houston with roaches big as birds is definitely off the book for me, time to take my 1 in 5 vacation. Regarding Ebay shmeebay....
    if ya'll want to buy PSA 8's with fuzzy corners, dings, bubbles,
    indentations ya can't see in a scan, that card is for you but don't try to resell that card to me. The future will see less and less nice
    material offered on ebay. Lots of collectors have been disappointed
    with purchases on ebay - there's something to be said to selectively pick up the centered high end 8 or even 9, maybe a nice 7 over
    a doggy one on ebay which can't be returned. And yes, an 8 is
    not always an 8....grading is a matter of opinion. Buy the card not the grade.
    Again, my opinion.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Hey Maraya, is '07 going to Cleveland for certain?

Furthermore, how do you see things falling into place after '07? I assume Chicago is still the venue for '08, but then what? What other venues are you hearing? I know you know (or at least have a pretty good idea which way the wind is blowing).....

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options

<< <i>The future will see less and less nice less nice material offered on ebay >>

that's a bold statement. and why do you think this is the case?

if it is the case, i would gather that these "nice items" would go straight to mastro, sothebys, leland et al before it goes to a card show.

• Options
    hdunkhdunk Posts: 76 ✭✭
    The bottomline is East Coast and Midwest dealers generally do not want to go west for the National and vice versa. There is no right or wrong on the issue. Cleveland/Chicago has always been great shows for me and Maraya probably thinks they rot and Anaheim is great, as she probably doesn't like to travel cross-country either.

I took a skip this year. I am sure that if I setup at Anaheim I would have had a very successful show. I made a decision not to travel to Anaheim and took that into consideration in my business plan this year, so I already made up profits I would have made there, as well as inventory purchases, etc.

If I would fly to Anaheim with my full compliment of inventory, I would have to ship alot of it. I wish there was an easy, not too expensive way to get inventory cross-country. No offense to the west coast collectors, but there is no way on earth I am driving 66 hours round trip to anywhere to do anything. So I got extra rounds of golf in last week.

I know alot of dealers who skipped this year or took one booth instead of 2 or more. Next year in Cleveland I am su rethere will be alot of west coast dealers in the same boat.

• Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    All good points on east and west. With some dealers from the east not coming west for this years national and with no Fort Washington show in the spring or in the near future, I know I want to be at the next show the east coast dealers set up at. Hopfully they've have sometime to reload there inventory!!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Come on guys...

Let's be realistic here...

Whenever someone doesn't make a show, they have to come up with some kind of excuse...don't they?

If a guy has good stuff and could make money, he would fly in from Saigon!

Mike
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I went from Thursday through Sunday, meeting up with other OBC attenders. I generally had a good time, and without exception, every dealer that I asked said they had had a good show. The vast majority of my purchases were on the vintage end. I collect low-end sets so the cost is less. I'm not a condition-conscious guy, so if a table had a high quantity of slabs, I pretty much just walked by. Not in all cases, because some of the guys with slabs would have the beaters in a box behind their table. Any dealers that read this, bring your beaters - there is most definitely a market for your cards.

I closed out 1961 Fleer baseball, 1964 Philadelphia Gum football (Rams team set) and 1965 Topps Embossed, and fell two cards short of finishing off my ultimate goal - 1957 Topps. I'm down to the Wes Covington and Bobby Richardson - never even saw a Covington, and all the guys with Richardsons wanted way more than the condition dictated. Deals were to be had if you did some looking, and asked for them. I did very well with Roger Neufeldt, Bill Henderson, Kevin Savage, Dave and Adam's Card World (their singles table had some amazing 90% off deals!) and Jack's Cards. Waited in line at the Topps booth all four days I was there so I could pick up that day's Allen & Ginter promos. Just missing the Leinert and White cards - anyone pick up extras? Bought a box of '06 Topps Series 2 to open for the A&G promos and pulled the rare Soler RC1 card - gonna flip that on the 'Bay and use the dough towards picking up one of the 1952 high number HOF Dodgers I need.

Did major damage to these lists: 1969 and 1970 Topps football and 1970-73 Topps baseball. Picked up a '52 Topps #1 Pafko for $100. Also got a great deal on a 1957 Topps Bazooka 3/4 checklist. Picked up some key tough cards for my 1952 Bowman large and small Rams sets.

All in all, I had a great time. Saw some great cards. Bought some great cards. I really hope the National comes back to Anaheim as scheduled in '09. We may not have as many people out here, but from the indications I got, the dealers that came out weren't disappointed.

Geordie

p.s. - Maraya - what lower end cards did you bring out?
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Regardless of whether Houston has or has not been decided on for a future National venue, it is inappropriate to bash it as a possible future site and then say you'll be taking a vacation if it is located there. This is indicative of some of the mentality of dealers in the 90's who were opposed to having a National in Texas because they didn't think the collectors there were cultured enough to appreciate high end material. I am not kidding about that.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Houston ... it is inappropriate to bash it as a possible future site ...Ron >>

You're got to be kidding!
    Does Texas even have electricity and indoor plumbing yet?

Maybe in the governor's mansion ( a double-wide trailer ), but I doubt anywhere else ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Houston ... it is inappropriate to bash it as a possible future site ...Ron >>

You're got to be kidding!
    Does Texas even have electricity and indoor plumbing yet?

Maybe in the governor's mansion ( a double-wide trailer ), but I doubt anywhere else ... image >>

Shoot Wolfie

We even have "town bread!"

Mike
  • Options
    Actually we do travel to Chicago (ship everything) and fly to Cleveland (with what we can on board). Chicago is worth the expense to truck but Cleveland is not worth the expense to truck
    all inventory. I was concerned that Anaheim might not work out
    but to my surprise it has. Thus I'm voting for Anaheim in 09 (and a
    batch of other dealers I know are planning to do the same)
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thus I'm voting for Anaheim in 09 (and a batch of other dealers I know are planning to do the same) >>

Thanks for that!! Us left coasters need a major card show now & again.

Maraya - what lower end stuff did you bring to the show?

Geordie
  • Options
    Went to the NASCC meeting and according to the discussions,
    not too many cities offer venues of the size required to host a National. Cleveland is for certain in 07, then Chicago, then perhaps
    either Anaheim or Houston, depending upon dealer voting. NASCC had looked at other CA option such as San Francisco which really
    does not offer any halls large enough (Cow Palace?? never, Ft. Mason? no parking - Concourse - not big enough and no parking,
    parking there is $15 for a van/car - trailers double) San Diego was
    also looked at but a no go, some other cities were mentioned but would not work, not big enough or other reasons.
  • Options
    Selling lower end cards at the Frank and Sons Collectible Show in
    City of Industry. Bringing a few high end ones too; however, the
    baseball collector base in really no longer visiting F&S like they used
    to. What's there is mostly hot wheels, Star Wars type toys, CD's,
    some new wax, supplies etc.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I hope you're right about Anaheim being back on the schedule, but after seeing the '04 National pulled I don't have much faith. I live 45 minutes north and it's much more convenient- and it leaves me with a lot more money for the show.
    However, I've never heard as much b**ching about a show location as this one, and I've been at the last 3. All table holders get a vote, but I get the distinct impression some votes count more than others. I talked to a few dozen of the larger dealers and they said they were the same or lower in sales, but the costs were much higher. And there were a fair amount of empty tables, especially starting on Saturday.
    Overall the National is a good time to get together with old friends, and make contacts for deals later in the year, but overall can't compare to ebay and catalog auctions. I don't think the venue is going to change that fact significantly.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    boy, i hope it comes to SF. cow palace, no...but maybe the moscone center.
  • Options
    As it goes for a National in Texas...

It was in Houston, I believe, many years ago? And one of the complaints had to do with the quality of stuff coming into the show - they felt it wasn't up to other places it was held.

imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage

And don't worry, we'll be ready! Maybe even have a ceement pond or two?

Mike
  • Options
    It was at the George R. Brown Convention Center. All in all, I thought that one was a pretty good success as I was living outside of Houston at the time.......
  • Options

<< <i>It was at the George R. Brown Convention Center. All in all, I thought that one was a pretty good success as I was living outside of Houston at the time....... >>

I went to a tristar show there last year - I stayed at the hotel such that you can walk across a ramp and don't even have to go outside!

Show was slow but I liked it - the dealers were very friendly and there was an ok array of stuff to look at.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Sheesh - how about Detroit?

And I'm speaking of Novi Michigan at the Rock Financial Showplace. Brand new building. Plenty of hotels in the surrounding area. We just hosted the All Star Game and Superbowl so it can't be all that bad here in the Big D image

Would be a change from the Cleveland/Chicago circuit.

Just my two cents.