Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Every now and again, I terribly overpay for a coin...

I've been watching this for 3 months, it was listed and relisted in the seller's store. The last offer he had refused was 2xKrause unc, so I went ahead with 2.2xKrause unc and got it.

On the reverse,it features the magnificent Art Deco building of the 1935 World exhibition in Brussels, where I spent 6 years studying architecture. Single finest at 66, one at 65, another at 63 and an AU58 ,PCGS has graded a total of 4 coins,data from the pop report. In fact the Krause unc value is low for this gem and the price is much friendlier when converted in euros.No regrets.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Which of the 4 Krause-listed varieties is it?

Looks very attractive!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Don, it is a very popular one year type coin,IMO the most beautiful design from Belgium mostly seen in AU.

A splendid rendition of a great building, on a coin from the country where I studied all this, in short a must have and a keeper for me. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Which of the 4 Krause-listed varieties is it?

Certainly not the one with a slash in REGINA. image

PS: I'm afraid that I'd have to crack the OGH to find out about the variety, not likely to happen just to see if the legend is in Flemish or French.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin!

According to my records I have an unslabbed French legend version floating around here somewhere... no doubt not nearly as nice as yours! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    That coin has a lot going for it - nice buy.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I don't see 2.2x Krause Unc. as being that bad a price for such a coin.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great design- congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, Dimitri. We all overpay from time to time for coins we really like.

Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    What price, perfection?image
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No regrets. >>

For something like this, there should be no regrets image! Congratulations on a meaningful purchase!!

Cathy

• Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    D:

Everybody needs a few "estate coins" and yours is a beautyimage3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Great coin, Dimitri. image

And don't worry about overpaying, I always overpay. image
    imageimage
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Dimitri - A classy keepsake for you - a personal history marker. Classy and nice.
    Shep
  • Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful comments, you all have a great way of taking the guilt away. image

Seriously now, I must had seen this coin somewhere in the past, in the same holder but I wasn't ready to buy it back then. When it was offered for sale again, about 2-3 months ago, I thought that the price was too high, so I just had it in my watchlist and made a lowball offer that was immediately refused.

Then one day, I see that the seller had ended the listing early, which usually translates into an offer off ebay. I felt bad, and regretted not pulling the trigger, but later, I found out that the item had simply been relisted, the seller had ended the previous one, in order to relist it for another month without having to pay ebay's new elevated fees, and having learned my lesson, I finally made the right offer. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    The coin arrived today, it's great. image

According to my records I have an unslabbed French legend version floating around here somewhere...

Guess what, I can clearly see the edges: it's the Dutch legend variety.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin arrived today, it's great. image

According to my records I have an unslabbed French legend version floating around here somewhere...

Guess what, I can clearly see the edges: it's the Dutch legend variety. >>

It's always good to get coinsimage Is the Dutch legend harder than the French?3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    Is the Dutch legend harder than the French?3Mark

Answered below.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    There are 8 varieties in total, depending on the legends on the reverse, the coin or medal alignement and the well known Belgian idiosyncracy, position A and B of the edge legend.

This one is with reverse in Flemish, edge legend in Flemish too, coin alignement, position A.

The most common is the French reverse, coin alignement at $180, mine is at $225 and the price skyrockets in the medal alignement versions: $800 for the French reverse, and $1500 for the Flemish reverse. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3