Home Metal Detecting
Options

detecting on wet ground

konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
From what I have read, metal detecting on wet ground is best because the ground is more conductive and you can find deeper targets. Everytime I have gone detecting just after a rain shower, my detector does nothing but beep 5 times with every swing of the detector. Like just today, I tried going out for a couple hours after the rain stopped but the detector did nothing but beep like crazy. I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver btw. Whats the deal?

Comments

• Options
    If you can control your MD's sensitivity, try turning it down and clearing the shallower targets first.
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>If you can control your MD's sensitivity, try turning it down and clearing the shallower targets first. >>

I could do that if all the beeps were valid targets.
  • Options
    Konsole.....by turning down the sensitivity, it will stop most, if not all, of the false signals...
  • Options

<< <i>Konsole.....by turning down the sensitivity, it will stop most, if not all, of the false signals... >>

Can the detector probably detect as deep on wet ground on medium sensitivity as it can on dry ground on high sensitivty?
  • Options
    Most detectors will actually go deeper if the sensitivity is turned down to a managable range. One that is beeping and going off on every swing is not doing you any good at all...Even the top of the line detectors are like this. Turn down the sensitivity until you have a very stable machine..
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From what I have read, metal detecting on wet ground is best because the ground is more conductive and you can find deeper targets >>

I've read this, too, but have yet to confirm it in my personal experience. The only difference I have noticed about detecting wet ground is that it's usually a little bit easier to dig in. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Rob..I can verify this......When I first started with the Garrett Groundhog, I would go after a rain, and do a lot better with deeper targets. The signals were easier to hear.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    My limited experience is in line with Sir Millennium, I find the signals easier to hear too.

Agree w/ LM's point about digging. Not only the ease of digging in itself, but in areas where you have to cover your tracks perfectly, damp soil is a great help as the plugs hold together much better..
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro