Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2006 CNA Niagara Falls Report

Attended my 4th CNA Convention last week in Niagara Falls, Ontario. The natural beauty of the Falls and the surrounding area was well worth the 9 hour drive.

The bourse was huge, guesstimate of 50 dealers and 100 tables. Plenty of space for the aisles and each table had two chairs. Some dealers even set up “private” viewing tables behind their main tables. Most of the big name Canadian dealers were set up: Gatewest, Diverse Equities, Lighthouse, Bob Armstrong, Ross King, Canadian Coinoisseur, NEWCAN, Ted Waters, B&W, Louis Chevrier, and more.

None of the grading companies setup. Though Louis was accepting submissions for CCCS and Brian from ICCS was in attendance. The registration kit did contain a PCGS sample slab with a 1967 10 cents that I would grade MS64/65.

Met with Rob (BOSOX) and a bunch of guys from the CCRS site at Stanley’s at noon Friday. Lots of interesting coin talk and showing off of some really beautiful pieces. Rob brought his 1940 re-engraved Newfoundland cent and a stunning PCGS 1890(?) MS66RB (mostly red) Newfie Vicky large cent. Some nice Specimen coins were passed around by JAM (CCRS site). And I showed off my 1901 ICCS 65 red Vicky cent which I later traded for an 1859 DP#1 PCGS AU53. It was neat to be able to place faces and names with the icons of the forums.

Lunch broke up so some could attend the Varieties club and Newfoundland collectors club meetings. Both are start up clubs and the feedback I heard was very positive for both. I went back to the bourse and to check out the exhibits. I really enjoyed the exhibit of Canadian art medals created by MASC (Medallic Art Society of Canada). I admit that I “didn’t get” most of the abstract pieces.

Attended the Canadian Association of Token Collectors (CATC) meeting. Had a wonderful discussion of PEI Ships and Colonies tokens with Greg Ingram. Greg is the author of the Tiffin Tokens Varieties book and co-authored the Bust & Harp varieties book. He is planning to release a PEI Ships and Colonies varieties book at the end of the year. I got to show off a contemporary counterfeit 2 heads Wellington token that I bought earlier.

I missed the CNA banquet to attend the live auction. This was my 1st time actually holding a bidder card and bidding in person instead of via the internet. The experience is priceless despite the fact that eBay Live was having some technical glitches. It was great fun watching a certain dealer from Florida get stomped by a mail bidder on pop 1/0 ICCS MS67 moderns. He stopped bidding when the items passed the 3x estimate mark. I managed to pick up some nice coins for my registry sets including the Pittman 1905 MS64RB large cent, a nice 1923 MS63 5 cents, and a gorgeous 1933 MS64 25 cents.

All in all a great show. A greysiders Nirvanna. Can’t wait to attend next year’s show which will also be in Niagara Falls (week of July 15, 2007).

Now for some pix of my stash!

P. W. Ellis & Co. of Toronto, 45mm medal for the 50th anniversary of Victoria’s reign

Paris Mint, 50mm medal for the Quebec Agriculture & Industry Exposition c.1880

Charles Moore hammered silver token, included in registration kit

1905 Pittman PCGS 64RB large cent

1933 PCGS MS64

1859 PCGS AU53 DP#1

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
My Ebay

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Gene,

Great report. I had a really nice time meeting those I had not met in person (Gene included). Missed Ajaan (not sure if he was there). Sitting around with avid greyside collectors, drinking a brew, and passing around really neat coins, is one of the main reasons I show up in person at these shows. A ballroom full of Canadian coins is the other.

Gene - I'm glad you found a #1. It's a very tough coin in anything above 40 and you got a nice one.

I bought several circulated large cents (I love those things) and only one mint state coin. I bought a Nova Scotia cent in PCGS MS-66 RB. I had it mailed back by the dealer, so pics when it arrives.

I encourage anybody to attend this show, if you like greyside. You'll never see this many Canadian rarities and more modest collector coins in one room anywhere else.

Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Sounds like the 9 hour drive was well worth it.
    Bill

09/07/2006