Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has this ever happened to you on Ebay and what/if anything did you do?

Fellas, This is a first for me and looking for opinions on how/if i should proceed.....I was drunk ebaying a bit last night and stumbled across this auction Auction so I hit the BIN. I paid via paypal within 5 minutes and figured all was kosher. I have never purchased a Hawaii Conference sealed box before and I could not find a previous auction for reference of "market value" and whether this was a good, fair or bad price. Anyhoo, fast forward 15 minutes when I receive an email from the seller:

"Hello, I'm very sorry but I made a mistake when changing my listing. I had it listed for $169 and meant to change it to $159.99. I must have forgot the 1 and it was on for 59.99, I am so sorry that I let that happen. I will refund your payment right away, these boxes cost me a lot more than $59.99. I hope you understand and again I apologize for my screw up."

Yes, the seller refunded my payment in full.

I guess the price was good? Anyone have any experience with this product? I know I can't force him to send me the item but should I report to ebay, neg him with a clear explanation, "your suggestion here" or just let him slide? What would you do? Thanks for the read and your opinions.

Collecting Interests:
Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    If this was your box, and you accidentally listed it for $100 less than you intended to, would you want someone to let you off the hook if they hit the BIN?

99% of these issues have a pretty clear answer if you just follow the Golden Rule. And this one definitely falls in that 99% subset.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Chip

The guy has 100% FB and I would guess a good guy.

I agree with Boo - let it go totally IMO.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Every human makes mistakes from time to time. I think the seller did a good job handling the situation.
    Rich
  • Options
    I agree with all of the above. Coming from both a seller and a buyer, I would let it slip. It sounds like an honest mistake, and he did refund your money quickly.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "And this one definitely falls in that 99% subset. "

////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

And, there have been numerous discussions here, pro/con,
    on this issue. Some get heated because the need to be a
    sharpshooter and get a steal sometimes overwhelms folks'
    better-natured angels.

The mistake voids the contract. There is nothing the
    buyer can do about it; except move on.

I certainly would not neg the guy. His response was
    courteous; unlike some of the responses from mistake-
    making sellers discussed here b4.

If the buyer wants the cards, he might consider emailing
    the seller and asking "what is the best price we can
    do this deal for?"

I once bid $15,000 instead of $150.00; the seller was
    an ah but I cancelled the bid and he had no recourse.
    I try to price carefully when selling, but if I made a BIG
    mistake, I would do just what the instant seller did.
    A small mistake, and I would ship the item. Obviously,
    a $100 mistake is BIG to the subject seller, while it
    might not be to others. (It is NOT a world-ending
    problem and I would not be mean to the seller about it.)

OT Note: As most folks know, I am very "pro-buyer," but as a
    seller I can tell you all that MANY buyers are total
    dirtbags and treat even the nicest sellers like garbage.
    When a good buyer gets a chance to cut a good seller
    some slack, I think it is usually a good thing; and, it
    can lead to future courtesies from such sellers.

storm

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Well I think everyone here knows my opinion on the matter. I made a 45.00 error on a BIN a couple of days ago. I would never think twice about not honoring the BIN. I pay for my mistakes and expect my sellers to do the same. I would file a NSS on him and neg him.

These "mistakes" are happening more and more on Ebay in many cases it is a fee advoidance thing. I bought an item with a BIN of 12.99 last month. The item normally sells for around 30 on Ebay. Seller said he messed up and it should have been 32.99 BIN, but he was willing to sell it to me off Ebay for 24.99.

Bottom line is the seller should be responsible for your listing.

Hello, I'm very sorry but I made a mistake when changing my listing. I had it listed for $169 and meant to change it to $159.99. I must have forgot the 1 and it was on for 59.99, I am so sorry that I let that happen. I will refund your payment right away, these boxes cost me a lot more than $59.99. I hope you understand and again I apologize for my screw up

He should have refunded before even sending this email.

At least file the NSS let Ebay warn him to check his auctions before submitting them.

Ebays Policy
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "After receiving a report, eBay will consider the
    circumstances of the alleged offense. "

///////////////////////////////////////

A buyer reporting a "mistake" will not result in any action
    against a seller. If the seller keeps making mistakes, he
    will be "encouraged" to watch what the heck he is doing.

The exception to such "no action taken" by eBay would
    certainly come into play if the NSS repeatedly used the
    mistake-excuse in order to get a shot at closing a clearly
    "sold-buyer" at a higher price. That is NOT about mistakes;
    it is about FRAUD. We do not seem to see that here, or in
    most other "mistake cases."

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    A few years ago, I was a BIN hawker. I would just click refresh for hours on end to be the first to get some cards to complete some sets. You would be amazed at some of the mistakes that pop up on BIN's. Moss/Culpepper dual auto .01, Wade Boggs 2001 Archives auto .01, George Halas F/X cut auto .01, 2003 Luke Appling Legendary Cuts Auto .01, etc etc.
    I must have "purchased" over 50 similar cards in about a years time, only to have each seller come back with an email, nasty or nice, informing me that they can not sell me the card at that price.
    Each time I would just send an email telling the seller that it was no problem, but to be more careful and proof read their listing because next time the buyer may not be as nice as me.
    The day I quit making my own mistakes in life is the day I will start holding sellers responsible for errors they make in their listings.....
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    It is not the buyers' fault that the guy made an error. How do you know what he paid for them? So what if the seller loses money? I would say that you should tell him to send him your box. It was a $100 mistake, so the seller ought to live with it and move on.

People need to take responsibility for messing up or making mistakes. If you have a job and make mistakes, well sometimes you don't have a job anymore. Sellers on Ebay should think of it that way.

I agree that we all make mistakes, but don't always get off so easy as this seller.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with most of the posters here and say you should let it go. It certainly sounds like an honest mistake, and if the shoe were on the other foot, I'm sure you'd hope the buyer were understanding, too. All this BS about "make him pay, neg him, etc" is really ridiculous and shows a lack of class. Discretion is often the better part of valor, and there is little of that in society these days, unfortunately...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.