Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Some sets not weighted properly? Attention Carol

Hi Carol,
I have noticed that some sets are not weighted properly. I don't mean because of short prints or low pop's either. A good example is the 1978-79 Topps hockey set. You have HOF and star rookies in this set and every card is valued a 1 throughout the set. This does not make any sense to me. Especially with a Mike Bossy Rc holding the same weight as any common player.
Hopefully somebody from PSA could look into sets like these and do the changes to correct this or explain why it is so.
Steve

PS. I am sure this is not the only set.
Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!

Comments

• Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    If the set is unweighted, it's because no one has asked for it to be weighted. Send an email to setregistry@collectors.com if you would like for your set to be weighted. They will poll the other collectors of the set to get a consensus on whether they want it weighted or not.
  • Options
    On an Excel spreadsheet, do a copy/paste of all the players and weights after clicking "View Set Composition" at the bottom of the registry page in question. Then replace all of the "1"s with whatever you want them to be. They want the weights based on the SMR values of PSA 8 graded cards. For example, I see the Guy Lafleur is $40 in PSA 8 and commons are $4 per. This makes your calculations very simple since the Lafleur is 10x greater than the commons, you can use multiples of 4. So the Lafleur would be weighted 10, the Bossy (valued at $22) would be weighted 5.5, the Ken Dryden (valued at $8) would be weighted 2, etc. to the commons which should be weighted at 1.

I did this for the '73-74 Hockey set. I sent my request to the set registry email (setregistry@collectors.com) with my attached Excel spreadsheet. After a few weeks, they weighted the set. The did not poll other registrants, they just did it. I think they just poll other registrants if there is a request for a card to be added to the set (e.g. somebody wanting to add a player they think should be on the all-time Packers registry or something like that).

Let me know if you don't subscribe to SMR online. I can give you the PSA 8 values for the key cards.

Hope this helps,
    Kelly
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    << They want the weights based on the SMR values of PSA 8 graded cards. >>

If this is true why doesn't PSA just weigh the sets that way? image
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    If this is true why doesn't PSA just weigh the sets that way?

They don't have the time to weight every set.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    bump
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    This was discussed a little bit at the PSA Luncheon. I believe Joe said they are reviewing it and will likely send out some polls/surveys to get some feedback.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    Good morning,

If you have issues with set weighting I'm afraid I'm clueless and will be of no help.
    You should e-mail setregistry@collectors.com and that crew will be able to guide you.

Carol