Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Philippine "English" Series

This is a nice, easy series. Readily available in mint condition and cheap. This is the first series struck for a truly independent Philippine nation. Five denominations were minted between 1958-1966 both in Manila and abroad. All clad with copper the dominant metal used. The obverse borrows the attractive designs of the U.S. series, while the reverse figures the new emblem of the country.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    I see the Mayon volcano figures heavily, has it blown yet. Who are the figures with the hammers, filipino or classical.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see the Mayon volcano figures heavily, has it blown yet. Who are the figures with the hammers, filipino or classical. >>

Not yet. She's still smokin though!

I believe they are Pinoy models. The artist/sluptor was a gentleman of Filipino-descent named Figueroa, who happend to be living in California at the time (1903).

• Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    OK, now I know what the Philippine English series is now. That would be a beautiful set in BU. Should be fairly simple for you to aquire over there.........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    Nice coins and hard to find the lower denominations in gem condition.

Go to it, Mr. Filam:

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Went through a few rolls and picked out these. They go 65RD, 66, 67, 68 & 67. Haven't been able to find the commemorative one peso coins of the 60's in anything higher than about MS63. Too many bag marks.