Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need Help! any ideas to clean 1935 Hindenburg?

I have a 1935 Hundenburg and I need to know if there is some way to take of tarnish without losing much value. There alos seems to lettering along the rim, is this normal? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An image would be very helpful.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Cleaning is not generally recommended. One person's tarnish is another person's patina image.

I agree, pics are essential. Assuming that your coin is a German 5 Reich Mark depicting Hindenburg, yes; edge lettering is normal for the issue. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Cleaning zeppelins can be an incredibly lengthy and costly process, not to mention dangerous, both because of the heights involved, and the explosive nature of hydrogen gas...
  • Options
    Here is a photo of the Hindenburg coin, any suggestions? Thank you
    imageimage
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like may be some glue residue. Try some acetone on a Q-Tip.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Sorry to bother you about this coin again, but I just noticed that on the obverse of the coin it has the dates 1847-1934 and on the reverse it has the date 1935. I assumed that was the date this coin was produced, but while searching INFO on this coin I came across which I thought was the same coin on E-Bay, but on the front it has the dates 1847-1934, but on the reverse it has the date 1936. Was this the lifespan of Hindenburg so they put those two years on the front of each year this coin was produced? I know we don't do this in the U.S. so it just confused me. I would like to get another opinion on this subjest. Thank you.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Yes you are correct. Date of birth and death.