Home Sports Talk
Options

Vince Young signs for more money than Mario Williams

I'll let you contract number crunchers sort this out as to whether that is correct as the article states.

Looks like this just complicates the Reggie Bush situation even more.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Vince Young and LenDale White signed with the Tennessee Titans on Thursday, a day before the team opens training camp.

Young, the No. 3 overall pick out of Texas, agreed to a five-year deal, with an option for a sixth, with $25.7 million guaranteed and an overall value that could reach $58 million with option and roster bonuses and salary.

That would top the six-year, $54 million deal with $26.5 million guaranteed for the top draft pick, defensive end Mario Williams of Houston.

"It was a great deal for us," said Major Adams, the quarterback's agent.

Adams flew into Nashville a week ago and has been negotiating with Reese to have Young under contract before the Titans open training camp on Friday afternoon. The Titans also wanted Young in camp on time to speed his development for a team trying to rebound from a 4-12 record in 2005.

"We're pleased to finish up these rookie contracts in time for camp," general manager Floyd Reese said.

Coach Jeff Fisher called the deals good news even though he wasn't sure when Young and White could be on the field. The deals still had to be finalized and signed.

"This is an especially important year for both these players, in addition to all the other draft choices," Fisher said. "They're able to come in at the start of camp and put a full training camp under their belt before the season starts."

Reese has had all but two of his top draft picks under contract before training camp since the franchise relocated to Tennessee from Houston in 1997.

"This ensures that all of our rookies can focus on football and improving each day in practice so they can be in a position to contribute to the team," Reese said in a statement.

Young won't come into training camp as the starter. That job, for now, belongs to six-year veteran Billy Volek.

But the Titans used their highest draft pick since taking Steve McNair in the same spot in 1995 looking for another franchise quarterback. They gambled on the athletic ability and promise shown by the 6-foot-4, 233-pound Young and drafted him over Matt Leinart of Southern California or Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt.

"Every practice is important," Fisher said. "Every session is important. Training camp goes beyond practice. It's meetings, walk-throughs, all those kinds of things. Every day is important, especially as it relates to a young quarterback."

Young led the Texas Longhorns to a 30-2 record in three seasons, including the national title last January in the Rose Bowl. Young completed 61.8 percent of his passes and also had 43 career runs of 20 yards or longer, including seven of 51 yards or longer.

He totaled 9,167 yards offense at Texas, a school record. He also was second in the Heisman Trophy voting last year and won the Davey O'Brien award as the top quarterback.

White, the former Southern California running back, lost that Rose Bowl to Young and also came out after his junior season. But it was a right hamstring injury that kept him from running for teams before the draft that dropped him from a possible top 15 pick to the second round where Tennessee took him with the 45th pick overall.

The 6-foot-1, 235-pound running back will find himself behind starter Chris Brown and veteran Travis Henry. But White has shown both power with 52 rushing touchdowns and dependability with only four fumbles in his last 541 carries.

He averaged 6.6 yards per carry and led the nation in scoring with 156 points in 2005.

The Titans also agreed to terms with fifth-round pick Terna Nande. The linebacker from Miami of Ohio agreed to terms on a three-year contract.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for him. I think he might make the biggest impact of this years quarterback class, now and down the road.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    That's a lot of money to throw at a guy who couldn't score his shoe size on the Wunderlich.
  • Options
    Look what he did to the "greatest college team" though. It doesn't matter how smart you are, it matters if you do whatever needs to be done to get the W. The Titans imo had a Top 5 draft this year with Young and White. Now, the backfield is crowded so I can see a very run oriented gameplan being put in place.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The titans absolutely blew it in not keeping McNair around to tutor Young.

What a disaster.
  • Options
    Ax-I agree with you(suprise suprise lol, j/k) I actually won a c-note predicting over 2 months prior to the draft that Young would end up a Titan. I thought, with McNair around for another 1-2 years it would be a perfect lead in to the Young/White age. Alas, McNair decided it was in his best interests not to stay around.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>Ax-I agree with you(suprise suprise lol, j/k) I actually won a c-note predicting over 2 months prior to the draft that Young would end up a Titan. I thought, with McNair around for another 1-2 years it would be a perfect lead in to the Young/White age. Alas, McNair decided it was in his best interests not to stay around. >>

I dont think it was McNair's choice not to stay around.

Remember Tennessee locking him out of the practice facility, not wanting to let him work out in fear of his getting hurt and therefore have to pay him for his contract?

It was a classless move against a guy who took the franchise within a yard of a super bowl win, a guy who's been the face of the franchise for a long time.

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Doesn't Fisher have a background as a QB coach? He seems to do pretty well with his QBs.

Another in a line of head coaches who began in the Eagles organization, a la Gruden.

You're welcome NFL.

Edit - Fisher was a DB coach not QB. But the Titans QB guy brought McNair along from the beginning. Also, can you beat Norm Chow as O Coordinator with a record of coaching Heisman winners? Sounds like Young has some good guiudance.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ax-I agree with you(suprise suprise lol, j/k) I actually won a c-note predicting over 2 months prior to the draft that Young would end up a Titan. I thought, with McNair around for another 1-2 years it would be a perfect lead in to the Young/White age. Alas, McNair decided it was in his best interests not to stay around. >>

I dont think it was McNair's choice not to stay around.

Remember Tennessee locking him out of the practice facility, not wanting to let him work out in fear of his getting hurt and therefore have to pay him for his contract?

It was a classless move against a guy who took the franchise within a yard of a super bowl win, a guy who's been the face of the franchise for a long time. >>

Yep, I agree totally classless for a franchise that literally rode his(and Eddies) back to the SB. It was both ways, as McNair made it clear he didn't want to end up playing second fiddle in the twilight of his career, and luckily for him he's hooked up with a team that truely wants him. I believe he'll make the Ravens a SCARY team. It's just the owners keep talking about players not playing with the "team" mentality and then whammy...It's all about the business all of a sudden. Ya know what I'm saying?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Never been a McNair fan, I agree the Titans screwed him over pretty good but maybe they are just a bit too tired of him being "Questionable" every freaking week during the season. I swear McNair just hates practice. Young will be fine, his athletisism will help him make things happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Never been a McNair fan, I agree the Titans screwed him over pretty good but maybe they are just a bit too tired of him being "Questionable" every freaking week during the season. I swear McNair just hates practice. Young will be fine, his athletisism will help him make things happen. >>

McNair may have been questionable every week it seems, but he still played hurt, and did well most of the time. Perhaps a change will help out both sides. It could be worse for McNair, he could have signed with Detroit!!!!
  • Options
    Come on perk, we all know the injury report is part of the game that teams play - hell Bellichek (sp? no time to look up the spelling) plays it so much that he was reprimanded by the league.

I doubt a player has much say in if they are on the injury report or not - that's a team decision.
  • Options
    Fair enough