Home Sports Talk
Options

Where will Clemens end up?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
With the Astros again failing to score any runs for the Rocket in his last appearance (makes for a total of 16 in his last 2 years in Houston), and the stros doing nothing to shore up the team; with the division out of reach, and the wild card they are 6 out with 5 teams in front of them, when do they start to look at dealing Clemens?

I know he's got a sweet deal in Houston with the no traveling and all that jazz, but I can't help but think he's growing incredibly frustrated by the stros inability to score runs with him on the mound.

I don't see any team giving up a ton to get him for the rest of the year, but could see him ending up back in NY, as they desperately need pitching, and am sure they'd allow him the same travelling arrangements that Houston does. Boston, too, perhaps, though he didn't leave there on the best of terms.

Anyone else have a good fit for Clemens?

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd imagine that his sweet deal has provisions under which a trade would be acceptable, to include location, timing, etc. The Rangers might be on the short list if he is looking for teams with the ability to score at least once a game.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think he will be going anywhere, if his priority was going to a winner he would already be there. At this stage his family comes first and he's got the $$ and the rings so I cant see him disrupting his deal in Houston for a run at another ring. I say he stays put.
  • Options
    I see him staying in Houston too. It doesn't appear that he has that intimidation factor on hitters any more. I can't see too many teams overpaying to get him. I also don't see the Astros rolling over and turning into a seller just yet. They are only 6 games out of the wild card, with 6 games vs Cincy, Arizona, and San Diego remaining and 3 vs. Atlanta at the end of the season. As much as I don't see them as a playoff team, I doubt two teams in the west will make it and I have no faith in Cincy making it...meaning it could come down to that final series versus Atlanta for whop goes to the playoffs.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    I don't see him going anywhere either. His son plays for the Astros organization, his setup with the team is so sweet no one would turn it down, and quite frankly if he wanted to be somewhere else he would've signed there.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see him staying in Houston too. It doesn't appear that he has that intimidation factor on hitters any more. I can't see too many teams overpaying to get him.. >>

Well the Yankees prolly would
  • Options
    ^^
    The Yankees(and us Yankee fans) love the Rocket! I mean, there's a pretty strong arguement that Clemens WASN'T washed up when he left Boston. Still isn't washed up, either.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Let's see, the trading deadline is Monday, so you have just 3+ days to work out a deal with comparable perks. He's an Astro for the rest of his life with part ownership in our minor league system and a personal service contract for retirement. Not going to happen, period.

In fact, I'm willing to make another avatar/icon wager but know you will claim too many provisions and you will be for the guarantees before you are against them.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    The Yankees don't have the prospects to land Ken Phelps.
  • Options
    ^^
    The Yankees have a Top 10 era in the MLs. Of course, you don't know about the Yankee prospects either. I hate Alt ids.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    Really, they have nobody and you know it. The have one pitching prospect and like most Yankee prospects he is most likely overrated but you wouldn't know that would you.
  • Options
    lol, really? how about the middle relievers they have coming up? oh, I guess you didn't know about that huh?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i> I mean, there's a pretty strong arguement that Clemens WASN'T washed up when he left Boston. >>

As far as Im concerned there is zero argument on that, Clemens had great- post Boston seasons, its to bad he couldn't have remained in a Sox uniform longer, he did get an attitude but was still a money pitcher.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I don't see Roger leaving Houston. If he were to leave, I think it would be tough for him to go back to Boston after the way the fans treated his wife at Fenway after he left, but stranger things have happened. I wonder if the clubhouse is big enough for Clemens and Schilling.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't see Roger leaving Houston. If he were to leave, I think it would be tough for him to go back to Boston after the way the fans treated his wife at Fenway after he left, but stranger things have happened. I wonder if the clubhouse is big enough for Clemens and Schilling. >>

if Clemens were to return to Boston ( which I dont think there is a 1% chance of ) then Schilling better make room for him in the clubhouse. Curt wouldnt have 1/2 the career he has had were it not for Clemens. When Schilling was younger, and far more of a slacker than now, Clemens was the one who took him aside and told him the talent he has, the place and name he could make for himself in the game, and basically told him to take it serious, give more effort, etc. Great advice that seemed to have sunk in.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    ScHilling would welcome back Clemons 100%, not that it will ever happen though.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    The have one pitching prospect and like most Yankee prospects he is most likely overrated but you wouldn't know that would you.

flush twice ........it's a long way to back sacramento
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Clemens isn't leaving Houston. Simple as that.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Clemens isn't leaving Houston. Simple as that. >>

The only times it gets brought up are on slow news days. It's not going to happen, period image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts