Home Sports Talk

Wacky Tobaccy Cards..

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
Check this auction out: 220011400675

(I'm not good with the linky thing, so maybe someone can link it here.)

I guess he's moved from buying remote controls and pedometers to selling vintage tobacco cards, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Text

Definitely an odd auction...seems like he just grabbed scans of holders, and then scanned his own cards...
  • I agree that it's very odd, but I'm not so sure it's not for real.

The scans aren't lined up so it goes the front, the grade, and the back on the next line. SGC, unlike PSA, puts the back on the label, and they match up. Also the grades seem right for each card. I believe the cards are really in the holders.

Maybe I took the bait, but I don’t think the seller knows anything about these cards as an SGC 60 Mathewson is nonchalantly located between two low-grade nobodies.

Although a paypal logo is present at the bottom of the auction, this is prominently displayed near the top,
    NO PAYPAL PAYMENT ACCEPTED PAYMENT TO BE MADE DIRECTLY TO CARD OWNER BY BANK ELECTRONIC WIRE or BANK CHASHIERS CHECK with hold/clearing time.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little suspicious because he has digital camera photos of coins he is selling, so why not digital camera photos of the entire SGC slabs? A little strange but I don't see it as an "automatic" scam. If interested, contact the seller and get additional information before bidding. Ask him questions and if not liking the answers then don't bid.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caveat Emptor! No paypal=No recourse!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • I agree, but if someone lives nearby to South Central PA, it may be worth checking out. The Matty alone is worth more than the starting bid.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree, but if someone lives nearby to South Central PA, it may be worth checking out. The Matty alone is worth more than the starting bid. >>

A thing that I've learned on ebay...there can be bargains on Topps cards and I have gotten some excellent deals on Topps cards. But on pre-WW2 cards and especially t206's, forget about it, the pre-WW2 collectors cover ebay like white on rice. I have seen incorrectly listed and incorrectly spelled t206 lots and cards still receive hundreds of hits and many bids. Guaranteed these collestors are already well aware of this lot and if it's legitimate it will be bid up. If it doesn't sell, it most likely was not legitimate.
  • contacted him about picking them up in person as i live near enough to south central pa. lets see if he gets back to me and what he says.