Home Sports Talk
Options

Hank Aaron's record of 755 HRs; who hopes it will be broken and who hopes it will not be broken?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
I suspect it will be broken someday and would not be bothered if it were broken.

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Doesnt matter to me either way. It wont mean much in this age of home runs, and it certainly wont diminish anything Aaron accomplished.

As much as I dislike Arod he will have 800 before he is through.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, and I don't think Aaron's really every gotten the attention that I think the holder of baseball's most prestigous record should.

I agree that Arod will one day hold the title of most career HRs.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    As long as it isn't Bonds ...
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    I think Pujols will eventually end up with the record.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    True dat. Hopefully not Bonds. Hopefully Pujols, though I could live with ARod breaking it.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy seeing records broken, I think Arod could break it if he stays healthy. If Bonds hangs on he might break it but the controversy surrounding it will not be worth the effort. If Bonds breaks it he certainly wont put it out of reach for someone else.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>I enjoy seeing records broken, I think Arod could break it if he stays healthy. If Bonds hangs on he might break it but the controversy surrounding it will not be worth the effort. If Bonds breaks it he certainly wont put it out of reach for someone else. >>

With the pace that homeruns are being hit these days it is possible that the 1000 mark could be broken
    someday. Perhaps not by any current major league player but someone up and coming in the minors.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a 1000 bombs is a bit of a stretch, a guy would have to put up some serious #'s from the day he started and continue for about 20 years straight. I think a mid 800 mark would stick.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Arod will get break Aaron's record before Pujols gets there.

I would like to see it get broken, just because it becomes an event. I hope Aaron is still around to see it. I think it brings the eras together when the breaker and breakee can be there. It would have been for Babe to have been around when Aaron broke his record. I'm sure the Babe would give great quotes now.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me!

While records are meant to be broken, I’d hate to see Hank’s go down, especially to one of these bloated pill poppers (I won’t say which one!) 755 is a magic number.

A-Rod would be fine, I guess. I “think” he’s legit.

Griffey Jr would have approached 800 had he not broken down. Junior was the real deal.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I was reading this thread, a thought came to me. Here is a theory (how do I say this?) - would Barry Bonds breaking the record make the next guy (ARod or Pujols) breaking the record that much more special? Would baseball fans everywhere rally around someone legit in order for that person to break Barry Bonds tainted record? I hope I am making sense. If Barry Bonds breaks the record, it would be probably 7 to 10 years before ARod approaches it. Everybody would be tire of cheater Barry Bonds having the record. I think everybody would rally around the next guy, and I think it would be special. Of course, many would think that having Aaron keep it would be special.

Shane

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>As I was reading this thread, a thought came to me. Here is a theory (how do I say this?) - would Barry Bonds breaking the record make the next guy (ARod or Pujols) breaking the record that much more special? Would baseball fans everywhere rally around someone legit in order for that person to break Barry Bonds tainted record? I hope I am making sense. If Barry Bonds breaks the record, it would be probably 7 to 10 years before ARod approaches it. Everybody would be tire of cheater Barry Bonds having the record. I think everybody would rally around the next guy, and I think it would be special. Of course, many would think that having Aaron keep it would be special. >>

Interesting line of thinking.

Yes, I believe that if Bonds breaks the record then the next player to make a run at it will get the full support of most fans.

Lets' hope that for the sake of the game Bonds does not break Aaron's record and a player with no doubt of clean play will surpass Hank. A man with the same amount of class would also be a plus.

Personally I think that Bond's fate is sealed and would not be surprised if a deal has been or will be reached to ease him out without making 755.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    You are making PERFECT sense Frank.

I don't think there are too many fans that want to see Bonds break Aaron's mark ... many, including myself, want him to stop playing. I do not care if he is forced out or if he suffers a career ending injury.

Bonds does not deserve to break Aaron's record.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>I think a 1000 bombs is a bit of a stretch, a guy would have to put up some serious #'s from the day he started and continue for about 20 years straight. I think a mid 800 mark would stick. >>

It would be a performance like none ever seen in baseball that is for sure. 90+ for say the first five years and then at least 40-50
    each year for the next 15. We probably won't see it but it would be a great story if it happened.
  • Options
    I think Bonds will break it, to later be broken by the "worst" Yankee ever, Alex Rodriguez. Records are made to be broken, just like speed limits on the interstates!!!!!