Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2003-P Lincoln Cent Graded MS70RD by PCGS?????

Did anyone else here receive an email from a "Karl Anderson" stating that he is taking offers for a PCGS MS70RD 2003-P Lincoln Cent that he apparently just made? I just checked the pop report and there is no trace of it but that doesn't mean anything these days. If it's true, would I be correct in saying it's the first MS70RD lincoln cent EVER graded by PCGS that is not a SF coin???? You would think that PCGS would announce something like this IF it did happen. Is this a bogus email???? Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a call to PCGS is in order.
    Dan
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    It's for real

Congratulations, Karl!!!!!

If any of the Lincolns would grade MS70, 2003 P would be it
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! imageimageimage

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    rabbitracksrabbitracks Posts: 538 ✭✭
    Congratulations Carl. I also got a message if I was interested. Great Score on a Business Strike. image

Mike.

Great Coins for GREAT PEOPLE

Someday a real American HERO will be on our coins.
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    Yeah I received the email as well. Although it isn't in the pop reports yet (I also checked when I received the email), it would be the first business strike ms70 Lincoln to my knowledge.

So Congrats are in order. That must be some Lincoln.

Zach
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Holy Crap!

congrats big time on that scoreimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Well way to go Karl Anderson. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Yes, I also received an e-mail regarding this ms70 Lincoln. Didn't know what to think. I'd like to know if
    the coin was really made. And pics-we need some pics. image

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Who is Karl Anderson? I want to see a submission # please
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    mas,

You sound so certain. Can you give us any details?
  • Options
    ellewood

The coin was made and will show up on the next Pop Report. I had to pass on the coin as one of the Top Lincoln penny collectors I spoke to about the coin could not justify that price. From what I understand the coin will probably surface either on Teletrade or here on the boards as it is being consigned. No pictures are available as the coin has not arrived back from PCGS, I'll see if i can get one when it does.

clackamas

How's your 06 Mint Set doing? PM me the coins you stilll need, I may be able to help
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Interesting marketing by the owner, assuming this is true. First MS70 Lincoln made by PCGS and owner wants to immediately sell. Does that mean he anticipates a second non satin finish Lincoln coming out of PCGS in the next couple of months or so? It would seem to me that the best way to market this unique coin would be to publicize it to the whole hobby at the ANA and THEN auction it at FUN in January. Some risk, yes, but if it is still the ONLY one made, I bet it would get top dollar at FUN. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    This is going to be very interesting. That coin outta be TrueViewed (or professionally photographed at the very least) prior to any consignment, auction or sale. It must be something special if it earned the 70 grade. I am really looking forward to hearing more about this coin.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    If anyone thinks there won't be more, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. image

There's no way this was a random happenstance @ PCGS. It had to be a conscious decision to "make" some non-SF 70's.

Imagine the publicity PCGS will get out of this.

Only a matter of time before the MS69 1995 DDO's start rolling out as well.
  • Options
    You all think it's a special coin, but I bet it is no better than many graded ms69. Nearly ALL low pop Memorials are no better than a myriad of coins graded lower.
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Got an invite as well.................as well.far out of my mere price range.(It would look good in my 2033 Mint Set Thoughimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

There's no way this was a random happenstance @ PCGS. It had to be a conscious decision to "make" some non-SF 70's.

>>

Even if this were true, you can be certain that they didn't take the next cent that came in the door. They waited until there was one worthy of a very high grade. I've been saying for years that there should be some MS-70 Lincolns. Some of these come far nicer than what's normally seen. Even in dates that run exceedingly nice like the '88-D there are a few coins that are that much nicer. In some cases they look almost like branch mint proofs.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Got an invite as well.................as well.far out of my mere price range.(It would look good in my 2033 Mint Set Thoughimage >>

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what is the asking price?
    Doug
  • Options
  • Options
    Has grading eased?
    There are 2 2006-P MS68 SAC about to show up also?
  • Options
    Lot's of great coins moving out of PCGS

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I just wanted to let everyone on this message board know that I am the Karl Anderson that sent around the email about the 2003-P MS70RD penny. I apologize for any confusion that I may have caused. I appreciate the kind words from some of you, as well as understand the skepticism that some of you have shown. The coin is going to be consigned and any and all inquiries will be handled by that person once the consignment agreement/details are worked out.

Karl
    Warrior Redskin Father Friend
    We'll miss you Sean!
  • Options

<< <i>I just wanted to let everyone on this message board know that I am the Karl Anderson that sent around the email about the 2003-P MS70RD penny. I apologize for any confusion that I may have caused. I appreciate the kind words from some of you, as well as understand the skepticism that some of you have shown. The coin is going to be consigned and any and all inquiries will be handled by that person once the consignment agreement/details are worked out.

Karl >>

Awesome and a very nice welcome to the boards Karl. What an exciting first post this must be for you.

Zach

• Options
    CONGRATS ON THE 1ST MS70RD LINCOLN CENT. The great thing about these boards is that you can come here and ask fellow members ANYTHING - which is what I did after I received your email. I had not heard the news...but several forum members here were able to confirm that it was indeed true. I don't really mind getting emails that offer up coins because afterall...you are just looking out for lincoln collectors and registry set holders.

Just curious...are you a lincoln collector yourself? I'm figuring you probably are NOT since you are selling the coin. When and if you do know WHERE the coin will be auctioned...please post it here. Best of luck on the sale and WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!image
  • Options
    Futureshock2038; Welcome aboard.

That was a pretty good year. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "The coin is going to be consigned and any and all inquiries will be handled by that person once the consignment agreement/details are worked out."

Another words, no reserve on eBay is NOT an option? imageimageimage

It's official. Now in the pop report. image Congrats. image
  • Options
    So what was it being passed around as? I don't have my set linked to an e-mail, so spread the news.
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>CONGRATS ON THE 1ST MS70RD LINCOLN CENT. The great thing about these boards is that you can come here and ask fellow members ANYTHING - which is what I did after I received your email. I had not heard the news...but several forum members here were able to confirm that it was indeed true. I don't really mind getting emails that offer up coins because afterall...you are just looking out for lincoln collectors and registry set holders.

Just curious...are you a lincoln collector yourself? I'm figuring you probably are NOT since you are selling the coin. When and if you do know WHERE the coin will be auctioned...please post it here. Best of luck on the sale and WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!image >>

Ellewood hit the nail on the head with this one.
    Doug
  • Options
    Since it's been a couple of weeks (and the PCGS board is SUPER SLOW these days), I thought I would bump this post. Karl, has the coin sold yet? Also, did you have any photos taken of the coin (i.e. TrueView)?????

Any update would be much appreciated!!!

Toby
  • Options
  • Options
    Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wise move by PCGS to keep those gates open on future submissions. The # of MS69 Lincs going back in search of the lottery 70 will be huge. And because of that they will have to make more.

There is no doubt that there 69's already out there that are nicer than this one coin. If cracked out and resubmitted raw what would it come back the next 10 times???

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

Oh, yeah. It's "game on" and PCGS is the big winner.

Jack

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI:

PCGS Certifies First Perfect Business Strike Cent

- August 29, 2006
    It took 20 years and over 160,000 tries, but in August 2006, the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) finally assigned the MS-70 grade to a Lincoln cent struck for circulation. The historic coin is a perfect 2003 Cent in full Red MS-70.

Other Lincoln Cents, such as Proof and Satin Finish coins, have earned a grade of 70 in the past, but those were coins produced through special minting processes designed to produce coins of near-perfection. The fact that this coin is a "business strike" meant for everyday commerce makes it all the more special, since no special steps were taken to ensure the quality of this piece when it was made.

According to Jaime Hernandez, Price Guide Editor at PCGS, "This coin is the Holy Grail of Lincoln Cents and something for which we have been searching for two decades. If this coin comes on the market, the competition for it will be fierce. Every advanced Cent or type collector will want to own this coin."

In 2009, the Lincoln Cent will celebrate its 100th Anniversary. Will another perfect MS-70 Cent show up anytime soon? "Not likely", says PCGS President Ron Guth. "This is a remarkable coin and one of the very few that will ever be able to meet PCGS' strict requirements for the MS-70 grade."

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    any close up shots? I see no pics anywhere other than that small one
  • Options

<< <i>FYI:

PCGS Certifies First Perfect Business Strike Cent

- August 29, 2006
    It took 20 years and over 160,000 tries, but in August 2006, the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) finally assigned the MS-70 grade to a Lincoln cent struck for circulation. The historic coin is a perfect 2003 Cent in full Red MS-70.

Other Lincoln Cents, such as Proof and Satin Finish coins, have earned a grade of 70 in the past, but those were coins produced through special minting processes designed to produce coins of near-perfection. The fact that this coin is a "business strike" meant for everyday commerce makes it all the more special, since no special steps were taken to ensure the quality of this piece when it was made.

According to Jaime Hernandez, Price Guide Editor at PCGS, "This coin is the Holy Grail of Lincoln Cents and something for which we have been searching for two decades. If this coin comes on the market, the competition for it will be fierce. Every advanced Cent or type collector will want to own this coin."

In 2009, the Lincoln Cent will celebrate its 100th Anniversary. Will another perfect MS-70 Cent show up anytime soon? "Not likely", says PCGS President Ron Guth. "This is a remarkable coin and one of the very few that will ever be able to meet PCGS' strict requirements for the MS-70 grade."

Wondercoin >>

Great. I'd have guessed another date would be first but it's of little matter.

This set just keeps getting more interesting all the time.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Well a MS70 is pretty amazing and cool.
    But maybe it was a mistake. I'd send it back to be sure. imageimage
  • Options
    FYI: PRESS RELEASE BY TELETRADE:

The 2003 1¢ PCGS MS-70 Red
    It took 20 years, but in August 2006, the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) finally assigned the MS-70 Red grade to a Lincoln cent struck for circulation. This historic coin is a perfect 2003 Cent in full Red MS-70 and is being offered in Teletrade®'s Premier Plus auction to be held on Thursday, September 28, 2006.

Ian Russell, President of Teletrade® commented: "This is the first time PCGS has given a circulation strike Lincoln cent the MS-70 Red grade, and I am pleased Teletrade® was entrusted with its sale.... This is a rare opportunity to acquire the 2003 1c PCGS MS-70 Red, which is likely to end up in one of the top Registry sets."

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Futureshock2038;

I just assumed this coin was from a mint set but I really should ask. Any detail whatsoever would be of huge interest to me.

Thanks in advance.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Wondercoin consigned the coin to Teletrade ?????

Mitch - Will you kindly tell the truth

Stewart
  • Options
    CLICK HERE TO SEE A TINY PIC OF THE COIN

I guess we'll have to wait to see the close-ups when they finally get around to putting it in the system at TT. [IMG]
  • Options
    No public comments from me on the coin until the auction process ends.

However, I will be at the Long Beach show with my sixteen year old daughter from Thursday through Saturday. She is eager to learn as much as she can about coins and this is the first big show she has ever attending for more than a couple hours (3 days straight this time for her!) She wants to lot view this cent so anyone who wants to meet over at the Teletrade table to lot view this coin during those 3 days, just PM me and I would love to hang out, talk coins and enjoy lot viewing this piece.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mitch, do you know the "origin" of the coin? Was it from a mint set? Or did it come out of a roll?

thanks, Alan Mendelson
  • Options
    Alan: I do not know all of the details surrounding the coin, but, expect to have most of them known later in the month. Wondercoin.
  • Options
    Mitch, thanks for the quick response. Whatever the "origin" of the coin it is amazing. It is my understanding that even mint set coins are not handled "individually" and are subject to contact with other coins and handling damage. In addition a "70" requires a perfect strike and planchet. So the "source" or "origin" of the coin will tell us if this is indeed a "one in a hundred billion coin" or if it is possible that "others are out there."

many thanks, Alan
  • Options
    Well I just checked my 2003 1c. I have no need to crack it. It is still a MS 69 RD.image
    Lost in Lincoln Modern Land
    I am on eBay as "innerharborcoins"
  • Options
    Mitch,

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the trek out to LB. However, next time I'm in your neck of the woods, you can bet that I will be looking you up! Looking forward to hearing the story around this coin...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not one in a billion but maybe 1 in 55,000 or even 1 in 1500.

55,000 total MS69RD memorial cents at PCGS (2005)
    1300 MS69 RD 2003 cents at PCGS (2005)
    The most common date by far in 69RD at PCGS.

I'd call it 1 in 10,000 based on the dates that are populous enough in MS69 to warrant a shot to MS70 via PCGS. We know they are not going to give a 70 to an earlier memorial cent nor to a wheat cent, at least not any time soon. A few more MS70 2003's would be good for increasing submissions and would not break the bank as much if say 3 or 5 of these were done out of around 300 pieces.

How badly would a 20th century type collector need this coin for his
    MS set? For $10,000 or more, they may be able to bump something else up in their set and save money.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold