Options

Where can I find a Silver Duabloon and

How much would one cost.?
Maybe I'm misspelling it.
Help

Comments

• Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    Doubloons are gold coins - specifically 2 escudos, although the term has been stretched to apply to any denomination of the escudo coin.

The silver variations of the same system had names such as 2 bits (for 2 reales), pieces of eight (for 8 reales cut into sections) and Pistareens (for the spanish issue of the 2 reales), etc.

Edit - I should say that although the term has been stretched to apply to other denominations of the escudo - 1,4 and 8, it is a misuse of the term. Doubloon is for just that Double Escudo. I see sellers on ebay promoting one escudos as pirate doubloons all the time. Both words are misused, because what they are selling is actually late 1700's 1 escudos.

It is neither a doubloon nor much correlated to piracy, because the problem of piracy was mostly earlier century, and had been addressed by the late 1700's.

I guess the term probably helps sell coins though.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If silver is what you want - check EBay for 8 Reales minted up to 1808. All of those were considered "pieces of 8" in the early U.S. colonies. Dabloons are escudos, though, and as Ricke mentioned are gold.
  • Options
    Dubloon.

TKC!

I'm pretty sure it'll be out of my reach.
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pirate silver, in my mind, were these :

Btw, about Dubloons :

<< <i>
    The term doubloon (from Spanish doblón, meaning double) refers to a seven-gram (0.225 troy ounce) gold coin minted in Spain, Mexico, Peru, or Nueva Granada. The term was first used to describe the golden excelente, either because of its value of two ducats, or because of the double portrait of Ferdinand and Isabella. Later, it referred to a coin worth two escudos (0.1905 troy ounce gold), first minted in 1566, during the reign of Philip II of Spain.

In Spain, doubloons were current up to the middle of the 19th century. During the reign of Isabella II of Spain, it was neglected in favour of the real, and finally supplanted by the peseta in 1869. The last Spanish doubloons (showing the denomination as 80 reales (de vellon)) were minted in 1849. After their independence, the former Spanish colonies Mexico, Peru and Nueva Granada also minted doubloons.

In Europe, the doubloon became the model for several other gold coins, including the French Louis d'or, the Italian doppia, the Swiss duplone, the Northern German pistole, and the Prussian Friedrich d'or.

>>

• Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    Dan Sedwick is an excellent source for all coins and documents relating to the spanish colonies. He specializes in salvage coins. In my opinion, there is no safer place to purchase - and he will be in Denver for the show coming up in August. I believe he said his table is 211, but I don't have the postcard in front of me.

His website:

Sedwick Coins