Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

National Card Show-Anaheim attendee's Official thread start here

Well I showed up at the National at 5:30pm tonight and stayed until about 8:45pm. Since the show ended at 9pm, most were packing up anyways. I walked hard and fast so I saw almost all of the 950 booths( probably 910 out of 950). There was a lot of vintage at the show. Tobacco cards were more prevalent than I thought. Only a few booths were trying to flip any new wax, maybe 10-15 booths. PSA was the most common graded card by far, almost 70% of the graded cards were PSA by non-scientific method. The prices were across the board, but I got a couple of "deals", so they can still be had.

I would estimate that about 10% of the dealers did not have any cards are at all, but bats, gloves, pennants, etc. Another 10-15% had high end new graded and auto cards. Another 10-15% had some mixture of low end 50's, 60's and 70's trays along with new higher end singles or sets, etc. About 30% of the show was higher end vintage, guys with PSA 7, 8, or 9's with cards from the 50-70's. The last 20% of the show was guys with low and mid grade vintage, both raw and graded. Of course, I am not counting the mega millions auctions houses, consignment houses and the card company booths.

Benchwarmers was there and giving out free autos to people, including me! lol The show had a decent line of people waiting for sports autos. Since, I don't collect autos, I have no idea how long the wait was.

The food line was pretty short, maybe a 5 minute wait, but essentially the same menu as baseball game.

Total cost to attend, minus the gas from work to the convention center was $27(18 at the door and 9 to park).

I liked the show and saw some good dealers from the greater LA that I know fairly well. I would say it's worth the trip for those within driving distance. If you are not super picky about the grade or the price, then I think you can complete almost any set from the late 40's through the 70's at the show. Many dealers were also looking to flip complete sets. I will make a trip back on Friday and/or Sat.

Overall a positive experience in my book.
Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

My impression :

Weak show compared to the Cleveland and Chicago Nationals, but the place to be if you love sports cards!

Nothing like being in a giant complex with nothing but cards, sports stuff and all the people who love it all so very much ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    If you can't make it...we've got a taste of the National for you. We're here in Anaheim offering updates, photos and stories all week...

SportsCollectorsDaily.com
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Not as good as Chicago, which wasn't as good as Cleveland. I don't think it had anything to do with geography as much as ebay and auction houses offering a lot more on a daily basis.
    Spent all day yesterday (Tuesday, a total waste of time) and today at the show. Lots of good stuff this morning, but it was gone by about 2-3pm. Huge line for the general public to get in, but as usual their focus seemed to be on the free autographs and pizza.
    edited to add-
    definitely quality over quantity at this show- Cleveland and Chicago seemed to look like Sanford and Son's front yard. Something to be said for having it away from the east coast junk dealers.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Yeah long line to get in as everybody is trying to escape the heat wave.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    How is the unopened material?
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Any vintage Golf Cards? I couldnt make it this year but hope to be there next year!

Have fun at the Luncheon!
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options

<< <i>Any vintage Golf Cards? I couldnt make it this year but hope to be there next year!

Have fun at the Luncheon! >>

Yeah, I second the luncheon sentiments. Please give my regards; I was supposed to make a surprise appearance in Anaheim but a motorcycle accident changed all of my plans around.
  • Options
    Looking for Mark Mulder rooks if anyone finds any.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I went this morning, got there about 10:30. A few impressions...

-BMW had a tremendous display of cards. Their retail prices are optimistic to say the least, but it must have been at least $1-1.5 million worth of stuff (PSA 2 T206 Wagner, and every high grade SGC card known to man).

-The BBC Exchange had a huge selection of stuff as you would expect. Some of you guys would have passed out over the unopened cases he brought (imagine ripping open his '78 Topps wax case).

-The Memory Lane booth girls made it hard to concentrate at their table (VERY hard).

-Most things could be found cheaper on Ebay, although it's not a suprise.

-Saw some familiar faces in Todd Crosner, and some other longtime LA dealers. I don't know his name, but there's an Asian dealer (mid 30's+) who was in the upper right corner of Hall D. I remember buying stuff from him in the early 90's when I was in middle school, time flies by.

-Loved the sets displayed at the PSA booth ('54 Topps and '58 Topps, the finest known sets). A never ending sea of Mint 9's.

I'd be interested to hear about any finds or overlooked gems people discovered. Or if anyone cracked any vintage wax.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any vintage Golf Cards? I couldnt make it this year but hope to be there next year!

Have fun at the Luncheon! >>

Yeah, I second the luncheon sentiments. Please give my regards; I was supposed to make a surprise appearance in Anaheim but a motorcycle accident changed all of my plans around. >>

Sorry to hear about this Ian.

I hope everything is OK?

All my best,
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    My impression is there isn't a tremendous throng of collectors here..but they do seem to be buying. LOTS of people hunting the high grade raw..not sure what they're finding though. It's fun to see the PSA 8 Wagner, even though I believe it's been on display before. PSA booth was very busy Friday afternoon.

I saw Dave Levin's amazing collection of ungraded Old Judge cards including the group recently discovered in Indianapolis. He had sold a few dozen already. In fact, there seems to be quite a lot of pre-War material at this show.

The # of show dealers is significantly less than were in Chicago last year. It's a tough one for those east of the Mississippi. However, you do see west coast guys who normally don't venture beyond the Pacific time zone.

Lots of booths that seem out of place for this show--and you have to weed through them to get to the good stuff.

• Options
    Also, if anyone finds a low priced 1959 Topps Sam Huff rookie I'm just looking for a low grade copy until I can purchase a nicer one.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Did anyone meet Kevin Hammond the new CEO of GAI (and former CEO of Real Legends which ran the Grade & Trade program). I would be interested to hear about his vision for the company and if he plans to make another run at the Grade & Trade business model. Unfortunately, the last Grade & Trade program was caught up in the WIWAG scandal....image

Ripken...maybe you could do an interview for your website.
  • Options
  • Options
    basketballcollectorbasketballcollector Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2022 10:01PM
    Is there much VINTAGE pre-1980 Basketball material (not necessarily cards) at the show ??????????????
  • Options
    I've seen a fair amount of '48 Bowman basketball, a few sets of '57 topps, and lots of '61 Fleer. A friend of mine picked up a really nice '68 topps test Jerry Lucas in what seemed liked the steal of the show, and there is tons of '69 and up cards.

<< <i>How is the unopened material? >>

Not bad, but the good stuff was gone before the show officially opened. Steve Hart, as usual, had the bulk of it. I bought a bunch of oddball topps test packs from him ('67 Pirates stickers, ''69 mini stamps, '74 comics test, etc) and he picked up a bunch of '50's penny packs at the show.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Yes, 99% Basketball is here. I haven't seen a lot of basketball but dealers who normally carry it probably brought it as there is a little more interest in basketball in LA than other places.
  • Options
    I have a 1999 Team Best Rookies M.Mulder/ Jason Hart PSA 10 #'d226/900. If interested, please send your offer. FREE SHIPPING. email to:

bosko56@charter.net

Thanks, Stan/bosko56
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
  • Options
    I went again today, for about 10 minutes. Walked in with a ton of cash and purchased the one card I have been looking for years.

Anyone plan to go on Sunday? It's about a 2 hour drive for me, so I am probably done for this year.

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I will be there Saturday and am looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    kingraider : if you don't mind me asking, what card was it?

I went to the National today and got there at 12PM and stayed until 6PM. The Memory Lane girls were hot. The Benchwarmer girls even hotter, and then I saw Brande Roderick and a couple of Playboy models ... WOW!

Other than that, the prices were rediculous on graded. In some case charging PSA 9 prices on PSA 8's (3 dealers charging $175+ for a PSA 7 68 Clemente)... I just don't get it. Raw cards were just as bad. I had a dealer take out a stack of 68's that he said just came from a vending break ... apparently the vending had been broken back in 1968.

If you are a fan of cards and memorabilia (as well as beautiful women) as I am, you will still enjoy the show, just don't expect eBay prices or amazing finds.
  • Options
    Everything is better on my front. Crashed my bike last week when my back tire blew out on me. Good news is that I was wearing a helmet and no broken bones, thankfully, so nothing to really impede my training for next season. Lost my front two teeth, however, so I had to cancel my plans to head out to the west coast and instead opt for oral surgery. It was quite the bummer; I was going to head out with my best friend Ashoke. His brother works on computers out near UCLA and we were going to stop by the show. Anyways, was released the day after my accident; I'm really thankful, things could have been much worse. Plan to start working out and throwing again on Monday. Coach doesn't need to know image

Thanks for looking out for me,

-Ian
  • Options

<< <i>I went again today, for about 10 minutes. Walked in with a ton of cash and purchased the one card I have been looking for years.

Anyone plan to go on Sunday? It's about a 2 hour drive for me, so I am probably done for this year. >>

King

My imagination can run wild!

What was the card? And do ya got a scan?

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Everything is better on my front. Crashed my bike last week when my back tire blew out on me. Good news is that I was wearing a helmet and no broken bones, thankfully, so nothing to really impede my training for next season. Lost my front two teeth, however, so I had to cancel my plans to head out to the west coast and instead opt for oral surgery. It was quite the bummer; I was going to head out with my best friend Ashoke. His brother works on computers out near UCLA and we were going to stop by the show. Anyways, was released the day after my accident; I'm really thankful, things could have been much worse. Plan to start working out and throwing again on Monday. Coach doesn't need to know image

Thanks for looking out for me,

-Ian >>

Sorry to hear about the teeth Ian.

I hope everything goes well.

Keep us posted.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    How about some pics?? Please. Expecially the UD and Topps boths.
  • Options
    I thought the layout of the corporate area was pretty awful- PSA and Global were sort of hidden around each other, along with a few other big booths.

• Options
    Well looks like no one has given any updates. ithis is the first night i've been on the pc since getting here. Anyways the weathers great here and lots of great cards . i've never had the oppurtunity to buy so much unopened wax. I think i've given steve hart about 10 Gs already and probably a few more tommorrow. For those and the rumor that steve will be grading packs for psa. It's not true i spent some time talking with him and he will only be authenticating packs for them. meaning he will only be saying ya or na as to if they are unopened or have been tampred with . someone else will be giveing the actual grade. So no more rumors. Vintage there are lots to be had . I purchased i should say stole some 72 wax packs for 30 a piece and the 2 i got graded came back 8.5 and 9 as far as the promos every thing is great i took my son today and never left the corporate area but he said he never had so much fun at a card show we even did some box wars at donruss and he won a 1/1 bart star ray nitschke and brett farve jersey card. so for those who thought the national in ca would not be good . It's fantastic and though everyone can't go we do deserve it out here once in awhile. and the show of big dealers from the east coast shows it must be worth the trip or theywont be here. we'll you guys we'll see you around the boards next week i got to go adjust my atack plans for the last day. and look at my ebay store next week like i said i've bought some nice cases from steve hart and will be breaking them soon as i get home also will have for sale lots of the promo cards from ud topps anddonruss for sale. the allen and ginter promos from topps have gone quick. And some one asked me to get em a upper deck hat. Who was that? I got extras
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    80's junkie: were the 72 packs graded by PSA? I seem to recall reading somewhere that they weren't going to use the half-grade like 8.5 when they graded packs. Has that changed?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The Wagners, Levi's '52 Mantle's and the high grade Horrors of War cards were fun to see, and I was very satisfied with my purchases, but Laverne & Shirley stole the show. image
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Bosko-
    I sent you the payment, thanks!
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    anyone else go sunday?
  • Options
    I was next door twice today, shuttling friends back and forth. They said a lot of dealers packed up Saturday and a lot were packing up today- early close was the rule.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    'Coach doesn't need to know'

If he was my coach, the sono*****un would find out somehow.

To your health!