Home Sports Talk
Options

What happens when an umpire…

makes a terrible call? I know these guys are human, but MLB treats them like gods, refusing to institute near-infallible replay systems. Seriously, do “questionable” calls get analyzed by an objective party, and are there fines or suspensions in the case of blown calls?

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I don't think they have an oversight committee, and I can't remember ever hearing an ump getting canned.

Seems they don't have much to fear, other than not getting picked for the postseason.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    you think you'll ever see instant replay in our lifetime?
    (not to hijack your thread)
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall that MLB instituted some kind of "umpire grading" system called Questech (sp?) but I'm not sure how extensive that went as far as evaluations go. I believe it may have been for calling strikes only. I do remember many umpires were upset about it at the time.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>you think you'll ever see instant replay in our lifetime?
    (not to hijack your thread) >>

I doubt the umps will ever relent into giving in to replay, and to be honest, I think the only time it could be implemented would be in the postseason.
  • Options

<< <i>you think you'll ever see instant replay in our lifetime?
    (not to hijack your thread) >>

I forgot I had a thead about that with good discussion so I bumped it.

To answer your question, yes, but not anytime soon.

The personal reason to create this was now in back-to-back nights, Braves have been thrown out. Yesterday, LaRoche for arguing about a ball a foot off the plate (called a strike), and today Cox was gone for arguing about a swing that wasn't checked (yet called ball four). Often times the really bad calls not only hurt the team, but then someone else gets kicked out too!

I just think if they're given the power to remove a player or manager from the game for pointing out their mistake(s), then someone else should be given the power to remove the umps for a game or two.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In reading both of ex major league umpire Ron Luciano's books, I found that he only reversed a call once in his career. He admitted that he missed calls, but apparently it's felt that's part of the game.

Umpires can, but usually don't, ask for help if they made a call while not having the best view of the play in question.

There was no mention of fines or suspensions for bad calls, but the umpires are "graded" and only the better umps get to work the playoffs and world series.

Luciano touches on the attempt to devise a way of measuring balls and strikes, and the only way they could do it was to put a "chip" in each baseball, and that was deemed to expensive at the time.

Arguing balls and strikes is not allowed, and shouldn't be either, unless you want 4 hour games. I love baseball, but more waiting around for replays would slow down the game even more than it already is.

For the most part these guys do a great job. Now the NFL is another matter, but that,s another thread.

JoeBanzai

P.S. Luciano also said that calling a checked swing is almost impossible, as the umpire is primarily watching the path of the ball. You might get some votes for replay on that one. Most likely in the post season only.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set