Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What would you expect to pay for a nice new original 3 inch Bronze Art Medal?

Just trying to get a feeling for the market for these. What would you expect to pay for a nice new original 3 inch Bronze Art Medal with a nice high relief nicely designed depicting a historical numismatic event or person? Thanks, in advance, for any replies.

Comments

• laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    By example, an 1889 french medal by Louis Bottee of that size commemorating L'Exposition Universelle and the debut of the Eiffel tower cost me around $100. However, relative scarcity, demand, execution, etc. all play a part in its value. You'll have to be more specific in order to get better help.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    US or foreign?
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    US made. To be more specific, what would be an expected price for a newly designed freshly made 3 inch high relief bronze art medal designed by an artist who has designed coins for the US mint. The medal would be high relief and would depict a historic numismatic event or person and would be well executed but not made by the US Mint. Thanks.
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably expect to pay in the $100 - $150 range. The closer to $100 (or less image ) the better!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Less than the mint's $38; here's one of their examples:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    And another:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    "depict a historic numismatic event or person and would be well executed but not made by the US Mint."

Doesn't some mint already do that and sell them for $19.99 on infommercials, limit 5 to a customerimage
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    For a newly made medal, regardless of subject, somewhere in the $35 dollar range.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato