Home Sports Talk
Options

Houston, Philly out as 2016 Olympic Hosting Hopefuls

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
SF, LA, Chicago Remain

DENVER -- The backdrop for the U.S. bid for the 2016 Olympic Games might be the Golden Gate Bridge, the Sears Tower or the Los Angeles Coliseum -- or none of these at all.

The U.S. Olympic Committee eliminated Houston and Philadelphia as candidate cities for the 2016 Olympics on Wednesday, leaving San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago in the running for what many consider to be the United States' best shot in years at landing a Summer Games.

The three finalists, however, will have to make significant enhancements in their plans for the USOC to even bid on the 2016 Games, said Peter Ueberroth, the USOC chairman and the architect of the profit-making 1984 Games in Los Angeles.

"Right now, of the three cities that were selected today, there's none that would have an acceptable program that we could take to the International Olympic Committee," Ueberroth said. "It's possible that none can get to where they need to be. It's possible they all get to where they need to be. ...

"It may be that one of these cities will drop out as we tighten the regulations, if you will, or the expectations."

The three remaining cities will have to finalize plans, including budgets, and present their bids to the USOC board of directors, which plans to decide by year's end whether to submit a bid for the 2016 Games. If it does, it will pick a city by the end of next March. The IOC will select the winning site in 2009.

Other cities that have expressed interest in hosting the 2016 Games include Rome and Milan in Italy; Madrid, Spain; Hamburg, Germany, and the Japanese cities of Tokyo and Fu|uoka.

Led by Ueberroth, the USOC is taking a larger role in determining whether any U.S. city will bid for the 2016 Games. The failure of New York's bid for the 2012 Games has been blamed in part on poor coordination between the city and the USOC.

Many people think 2016 is the best chance for the United States to land a Summer Olympics in the near future. It is thought the IOC would like to put Games in Africa and South America, two continents that have never hosted the Olympics, in 2020 and 2024.

The United States has not hosted the Summer Games since the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. The 2002 Winter Olympics were held in Salt Lake City.

The USOC appointed a four-person committee to evaluate information provided by the cities last month, including ideas for an Olympic stadium, an Olympic village and the amount of local and regional government support they would expect to receive.

The committee also reviewed international polling on whether the time is right for a U.S. city to host the Olympics and which city might have the best chance to win the bid.

"All five cities that have participated in this process are capable of one day hosting the Olympic Games," Ueberroth said. "From the outset, we have said this process is about identifying the one U.S. city that has the best chance of being competitive in the international race. If we do not believe a U.S. city can be competitive, we will not bid."

Among the factors that will weigh into any bid is the amount of revenue the 2016 Olympics can be expected to produce -- and how much will go to the host country. A big chunk of that revenue comes from TV rights, and the U.S. Olympic TV rights are sold only through 2012.

Houston Mayor Bill White had touted his city's leadership and financial resources, including several Fortune 500 companies. Philadelphia had pointed to its storied past in U.S. history.

"We thank the citizens of Philadelphia and the region for standing behind this project and for thinking and dreaming big," Philadelphia Mayor John Street said. "While we are disappointed to hear of the U.S. Olympic Committee's decision, we're honored to have made it to the second round."

Of the remaining candidates, Los Angeles is citing its diversity as a strong point and the availability of 38 Olympic-quality venues since it has hosted two Summer Games. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa also has suggested the events will be easier to get to than in 1984.

"This is a city built for the Olympic Games," Villaraigosa said in a statement. "In addition to our facilities, our vibrant and diverse community, our entertainment genius and the support of Angelenos and the business community alike provide powerful reasons for Los Angeles to host the 2016 Olympic Games."

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom said his Olympics would provide a stunning setting for the Games, with marathoners crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, cyclists pedaling through the Presidio and sailors navigating his city's scenic bay.

"We're going to reinforce that San Francisco is an international city with tremendous iconic status and extraordinary diversity, a city well established in the international community's mind," Newsom said in a phone interview.

Chicago, meanwhile, promised support from corporations, compact events framed by Lake Michigan's shoreline, mass transit and, like Los Angeles, ethnic diversity.

"We are honored to be a part of this process, and Chicago is committed to work with the USOC to develop a plan that can secure the necessary 60 international votes to bring the Olympic Games to the United States and to our great city," Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley said. "There is consensus among Chicago's public and private sectors and our cultural, sports and educational communities that proceeding along this path is right for both the Olympic movement and Chicago."

All three finalists were embraced in the USOC's worldwide survey that included 58 IOC members, said Bob Ctvrtlik, head of the USOC's international relations department.

Ctvrtlik said he was optimistic the USOC will bid for the 2016 Games -- "We've inched a little further toward going forward" -- although Ueberroth said he wasn't so sure just yet.

"Bob is optimistic, and that's his job: to get a city there," Ueberroth said. "I'm an anchor, and I'm not going to let them waste their money and/or their efforts unless we feel we can have a real good chance of winning this thing."

Like to see the Games come back to California...LA would be a natural choice, having hosted it before, but SF hosting it and being just an hour away would be great, too.

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Glad Houston didn't get it. The games haven't even been close the economic windwall they claim to be. ATL still hasn't recouped it's initial investment from 10 years ago. Increased security and soaring constuction costs will make the bleeding even worse...

I mean, if you want to set back your city financially, by all means, cheer for it image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Correct me if I am wrong Ax, but werent you one of the folks on here who said you couldnt give a $hit about the Olympics when they were just on earlier this year ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Why am I not thurprithed he wanth them in Than Fwanthico image

:sarcasm:
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    No one's forcing you to open these threads and read them. I clearly stated what was inside.

Seems the ones dissing this article are a ny fan, since NY was skipped by the IOC recently, and a houston fan, as they were just removed from contention.

It was the winter games I recently commented on...some of the events are truly bizarre...but the summer games are a blast, and truly epitomize what the olympics should be about. The winter games could disappear for all I care.

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ATL still hasn't recouped it's initial investment from 10 years ago. >>

thats because Richard Jewell blew it up.. and then ate everything..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Seems as if no one else is commenting, other than pandrews (cuz that's how he rolls), because no one gives a flying flip.

Considering it's waaaaaaaaay early in the process, looks like someone is having a premature spamulation... Or would that be a tinkerspamulationbell image
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Man, when I was a kid I loved the Olympics. So much that the closing ceremonies would bring me almost to the point of tears.

Now they're just this horrible orgy of corporate excess. They might as well be every 400 years, for all I care. The taxpayers of Houston and Philly oughtta be celebrating tonight.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    stownie-

want to talk about spamulation...I post a timely legitimate sports news story, to which you come here with your idiocy and ruin it - AGAIN.

No wonder they said NO to Houston - with morons like you representing the city, the USOC made the right choice in telling you guys NO.

• Options
    I personally think neither Houston and Philly EVER deserve to have the Olympics, they just don't seem to fit the bill.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I think it would be better to have a core group of cities, say Los Angeles, Sydney, Paris, Tokyo (off the top of my head) that hosts the Olympics on a rotating basis. It would make it easier logistically, allow cities to have venues that will be used more than once, and eliminate this politics. It seems like such a big event now that the planning would be much easier if things were consistent. With air travel now, the world is much smaller than when the Olympics started and the countries were taking ocean liners to the Games.

But maybe the IOC likes being wined and dined.
  • Options
    Maybe? lol. Good one!
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>I think it would be better to have a core group of cities, say Los Angeles, Sydney, Paris, Tokyo (off the top of my head) that hosts the Olympics on a rotating basis. It would make it easier logistically, allow cities to have venues that will be used more than once, and eliminate this politics. It seems like such a big event now that the planning would be much easier if things were consistent. With air travel now, the world is much smaller than when the Olympics started and the countries were taking ocean liners to the Games.

But maybe the IOC likes being wined and dined. >>

Well the upside is it gets countries to actually invest money in their infrastructue.

Greece spent a gob of money to upgrade their facilities, and has actually seen a nice uptick in tourism as a result.

China is spending untold amounts of money to host...all in all, I think having different venues is a nice way to go.
  • Options
    Regarding you bashing me for it not being in NY and thinking it was jealousy....I really didnt care if it was in NY and in fact i was more against it than for it. There is enough we have to worry about here without the Olympics. Traffic would be a mess, and security would be a virtual dissaster waiting to happen. No ill will towards whoever gets it, but it just isnt a big deal either way to me. The olympics, whether winter or summer arent what they used to be and have lost most of their luster imo.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>Regarding you bashing me for it not being in NY and thinking it was jealousy....I really didnt care if it was in NY and in fact i was more against it than for it. There is enough we have to worry about here without the Olympics. Traffic would be a mess, and security would be a virtual dissaster waiting to happen. No ill will towards whoever gets it, but it just isnt a big deal either way to me. The olympics, whether winter or summer arent what they used to be and have lost most of their luster imo. >>

Greece didn't sell out many events; I think just opening/closing ceremonies and maybe one or two events. Then the tax payers are stuck with bill and will be upside down for years to come.

Here is an article about the 2004 games in Greece:

"However, much to their surprise, hosting the 2004 Olympics has sucked $10-12 billion (in U.S. dollars) out of the Greek economy. That’s more than five percent of the country’s annual gross domestic product! When Greece bid on the games, it was before security was being beefed up around the world as a direct result of the 9/11 terrorist attack. It’s estimated that $1.5 billion is being spent on security alone.

...What about the value of the new stadiums? Four years after the Sydney Olympics, under-used venues are costing taxpayers $32 million (in U.S. dollars) a year to keep afloat, and the government expects that some venues will need at least another decade to break even."

Uh yeah, thanks but no thanks.