Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Buying Coins On Ebay

In today's world, internet changes our life in different ways somehow.
As for the numismatic hobby, it does change. People buying coins online more often then in old days.

My question is, is it safe to buy raw coins online such as Ebay?

What can a buyer do if he/she bought a raw coin that is overgrade by the seller? And the seller does not accept returns?

I appreciated any inputs.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What can a buyer do if he/she bought a raw coin that is overgrade by the seller? And the seller does not accept returns? >>

There's only one thing the buyer can do - learn to grade and ignore the seller's "opinion". Because that's all it is.

Of course, it is easier said than done.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "...is it safe to buy raw coins online such as Ebay?"

As long as the coins are of low value, and you can see from the pics the approximate grade then yes. However, I wouldn't buy anything of value that wasn't slabbed. I would also look at the seller's history and location (there's a lot of fake material coming out of China).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents....

1). If it is too good to be true, it probably is.
    2). Research the seller (feedback, past auctions, age of eBay id, etc)
    3). Ask for references on this forum (has anybody else purchased from them).
    4). Dont be afraid to ask for better pictures.
    5). Check the return policy.
    6). Never take the seller's word on grade - you be the judge (as stated earlier in this thread).
    7). Avoid sellers in China unless #3 is true and you feel comfortable with the reference.
    8). Set realistic expectations - dont set yourself up for disappointment.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My 2 cents....

1). If it is too good to be true, it probably is.
    2). Research the seller (feedback, past auctions, age of eBay id, etc)
    3). Ask for references on this forum (has anybody else purchased from them).
    4). Dont be afraid to ask for better pictures.
    5). Check the return policy.
    6). Never take the seller's word on grade - you be the judge (as stated earlier in this thread).
    7). Avoid sellers in China unless #3 is true and you feel comfortable with the reference.
    8). Set realistic expectations - dont set yourself up for disappointment. >>

Actually that's 16 cents image and well spent! image
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    what everybody else said.

but yes, buying raw stuff on ebay can be very rewarding if you know what danger signals to stay away from.
  • Options
    Many thanks to all's replies.

This really bothers me when I want to buy a expensive coin. But the seller doesn't accept returns and some of the picture are either too small or not clear enough.