Home Metal Detecting
Options

White's 5900/Di Pro Plus

StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
A friend of my Dad (Really) who knows I metal detect gave me his old detector to see if it still works. It's what's in the title, I have c-cell batteries in it now and it seems to work fine for me without getting too deep into the manual. He said he only used it a few times and doesn't want it any more and to see what I can do with it. He is trying to find the recharger and the rechargable battery, so at the moment it's c-cell only.

I guess my question is - does anyone actually use these anymore? He thinks it's from the early 90's. I use a Garrett GTI1500, and never owned a non-display type model. eBay history doesn't have the exact same model, other model of 5900's went for $130's - $260's.

I was going to list this in the BST-Misc, and I still will if anyone objects to this being here, but it sort of looked like a ghost town over there.

Is there much of a market for these still or should I just tell him to yard sale it? I'm sort of hoping someone here is on a White's messageboard that may know better.

Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I guess my question is - does anyone actually use these anymore? >>

Sure. Not everyone is into the new generation of detectors. Some folks like there machines to be as simple as possible. Smart buyers know older machines can be bought relatively cheap and still do the exact same thing as their new "advanced"expensive counterparts.

White's is a good machine. I would think if it is in good working order it would sell close to the prices brought on Ebay.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I use my dad's old White's Coinmaster 6000. He said it was a top of the line $600 detector in the 80s. Still works great!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I have the 5900/Di and have used it Off and On for many years. Unfortunately, the last time I took it out the needle doesn't move. I'm heartbroken.

Barbercoin

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I still use a White's 6000 Di S3, which was once top of the line. Its a good machine but nowhere as good as a new top of the line model.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad and I both use them still. One of THE BEST silver dime machines out there.

• Options
    Go hunting with a friend who has a newer machine and compare signals.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My old detecting mentor in North Carolina, Jim Dalton, used to use one of those.

He used to find more rings than Riccar does. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    marsfanmarsfan Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Was happy to see this. Bought one of these new in the mid 90s and have used it gently with pretty good results. Planning on using it a little more this year and will be bugging you guys with a few questions on it I'm sure.

Some of your guys post totals blows me away. Dought if there'd be a question you would'nt know the answer to.
    Sorry kids when I die my Mars Attacks cards are coming with me.