Home Metal Detecting

First find-Winton touring car Token

I got a Bounty hunter pioneer 505 for Christmas and just used it for the first time yesterday. The machine said it was a dime 6 inches deep. I'll try to attach scans to this post. It was about 6 inches deep but it is a little larger than a quarter. After I turned off the detector to inspect the token it wouldn't turn back on. I tested the batteries and they are full charged. I have less than 15 minutes on this thing and need to send it in for repair or replacement. Does anyone else here have one of these machines and experienced similar problems ? One side of the token just has the word WINTON and the other side has WINTON TOURING CAR and a picture of the car. It's pretty crusty and I'm going to soak it in oil and see if it will clean up a little better.

Comments

• LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    That's a cool find! image I'm sorry your machine is giving you trouble. I have a Pioneer EX and it works great for me. Maybe some of the people here can tell you what to do.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool find!

Disconnect all your cables and so on and reconnect them, if you haven't tried that already. Hopefully it is something simple. I have had machines just suddenly die like that three times now: two Garrett GTA-500s and one Troy Shadow X2. The first Garrett it happened to was a new machine, like your Bounty Hunter. I suppose it was just a lemon. They replaced it and the second one they sent lasted me twelve years until it died like the first. But a fella I gave it to fixed it in no time. I think in some of these machines (certainly those Garretts) there is a problem with the way the circuit boards are mounted, and if a board gets loose inside the unit, it won't work. Whether your problem is something like that or something searchcoil-related, though, I have no idea. I am an electronic idiot.

Again, hopefully it is just something simple. I've had decent luck with Bounty Hunter machines- while they do seem to be more cheaply built than other brands, I never had any complaints about their performance and thought them to be a fair value for the money.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Cool!

Hard to tell but it kinda resembles the 1903.

link to the 1903 Winton
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Very cool find. Good job!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Thank you lordmarcovan, I unplugged the search coil connector and reconnected it. It is alive again. I'll try to get out this weekend and do some more searching. I was on a friends property where an old log house used to be. He said it burned down around 1970, but was built in the 1850's. It's all over grown now with alot of brush, trees and vines. I may have bumped the connector against something when I laid down the detector to dig the token. I'll post here again whenever I find something interesting and thanks for the nomination.
    *Whew*

I'm glad that's all it was.

I wish the same was true of my Shadow X2, which quit on me this spring. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.