Home Metal Detecting

Looking to get into Metal Detecting

I've always wanted to do it... I purchased a metal detector a few years ago, not too expensive, but not too sensitive either. Can anyone reccomend places to search, types of detectors to use, etc? I was hoping to get a detector that isn't too expensive, but will prove beneficial in the end. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• I haven't said "hi" to you yet, so image

When I first saw your icon, I thought you were Indianbryan, but knew I was wrong because you are very literate. Welcome to the board.

For coins and such, I like the Garrett Ace 250 because of its many features for a low price. I bought one for my son and it really works great. An equivalent White's would cost you around $500.00, I think.

The best place to start searching is your own yard. You are going to want to become proficient with digging your plugs and using your equipment before gaining more experience at your local city park. That is how I got started, but I don't go that often.

There are some fellows - and some gals, I might add - that will prove to be very helpful and extremely patient with your questions. I have grown fond of many here.
    imageimage
  • Thanks very much for the information! I'll check out the brand you mentioned.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • I am also looking to purchase my first Metal Detector and yes I am going with the Garrett Ace 250. I was checking them out on line and I saw the price at $250 marked down to $215 at the present time. I am going to have to try to get quick before they go up. Coinonthe cob is correct they can go as high as $500. I was laid off from my job 4 years ago, and I have only been able to get part time work through temp agencies, but I am still planning on piccking up one of these detectors as soon as I can. Good luck with your treasure hunting.
  • I almost wish I knew about the Garrett Ace 250 when I bought my metal detector. I bought a White’s MXT. It’s great; it can find all kinds of thing including gold, but I spent over $800.00 for it. Plus, I bought a bag, headphones, bull’seye and a few other things. The Ace 250 would’ve been a good buy.
    imageimage
  • I am a fan of patience when it comes to detecting. Too many times when someone gets the urge to get into metal detecting they go out and buy an expensive machine with all the bells and whistles and then give up on the hobby when it becomes too complicated.

The Ace 250 is a great starter machine with decent performance for it's price range. A used Whites MXT would also be a good choice because of it's straight forward simplistic performance. Very few controls to really tinker with. Just turn on go so to speak. My 1st real detector was an MXT and it served me well and really got me broken into the hobby.

Whatever you choose, good luck and I look forward to seeing some of your finds!

Just remember, no matter what machine you pick, it will only be "beneficial" if you learn it's language.

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.