Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ebay gamble (Caballito Peso). Any guess on grade?

This one looks like it has some potential. Hard to tell from the photography, but looks to be at least XF, probably AU. The reverse definitely looks UNC... it's the obverse that's unknown.

Rims look nice and clean.

What are the key wear points of this design?

I don't have any of these in my collection, so thought I'd go for a (relatively) inexpensive one. My concern is that it could be cleaned, but there's a return privilege.

imageimage

Comments

• Options

I like the design around the rims similar to the Standing Liberty quarters. It really gives the coin class.
    Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    terrific design

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks EF45-ish.

Key wear points? I don't really know, but I would say the top edge of the eagle's wings, certainly, and probably Lady Libertad and her horse's heads, the lady's breast and right knee, and maybe the torch.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I have a few gold Peso's with more wear on the Eagle & snake graded higher then EF.

I'd grade this AU 53-55.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    AU 50-55
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I WAG an EF.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    That is a least a AU coin and will have to be tilted in the light to see if the breast and knee have any wear. The snake going across the eagle on the reverse also needs to be studied. These coins are low relief so its hard to tell from pics. As long as you pay VF money and the coin has not been cleaned you will be fine.