Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

I just went thru 10 2006-D Mint sets...

...and only found 5 lincolns, 1 nickel and 1 roosie that I would even CONSIDER sending in for grading. That's 7 out of 50 satin finish coins and chances are that number will be narrowed down to 5 after I have a second look at them. I have yet to look at the 06-D quarters...will get to that and ALL of the 2006-P's later on this week. On the 2006-D sets, the kennedys and sacs were absolutely beat to hell and the roosies almost always had a hit on the cheek bone (couple of FB candidates on reverses though image On the new nickel design, Mr. Jefferson is taking rights and lefts to the face for 10 rounds. If this is representative of the coins overall, it's going to be tough to make many of these 06-D coins in 68 and 69 SF this year. Mark my words.

I'll edit my post with my findings on the 06-D quarters and the 2006-P mint sets...

Comments

• clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    If your only going through 10 sets then it will be tough. I went through 125 of them over the weekend. Some of the issues are going to be really tough in 69 or better. I think there will be MS70 P Lincolns again this year. there was some guy on Ebay last year selling coins before he even got his results back from the bulk submission. I know of a few that, if he puts them up, I am going to hit and he better deliver image. I had runs of coins that were great and then a group of 25 sets with the same coin being garbage. The P Colorado's are going to be cheap in 69SF, there will be MS70's for this issue IMO.

• ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    I wish I had the time to go thru 125 sets! I just wanted to share my experience with others. Brian, did u find that the sacs and the halves were mostly junk? I do know one thing, the ONLY way to nail 70's is going to be thru bulk submission. Sounds like you might have a good shot. Some of my 06 SF coins are going in on an 8 free submission voucher...so we'll see what happens.
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I am going to be doing the bulk submissions. Its quite a bit of work.
  • SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    I finished going through my sets and here are my comments:

Both Philadelphia and Denver cents are typically very nice. My P Nebraska quarters are extremely nice.

I have a large number of coins that appear to be damaged during packaging. The damaged Philly coins have long parallel scratches, the Denver have areas where they appear to have large scrapes. My P nickels have these parallel scratches on the face, and are easy to spot. All my Denver dimes all have scrapes on the cheekbone. I have several P Sacs that would be high grade that have scratches on the eagles breast, and some of my Denver Sacs have a scrape from the eagles breast to the tail.

Planchet quality is not as good at Denver. Several of my Denver coins have marks on them that appear to be present on the planchet before it was struck and striking pressure was not sufficient to press out the mark.

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Is there a commonly accepted name for those kind of marks.

I've heard of "planchet marks" and "chicken scratch". But what is the correct term for these?

PC
    An enthusiastic fan of Kennedy Halves for over 20 years. Always looking for great coins!! Email: [email protected]
  • Well I bought my sets a little late and hope they arrive early this next week. I decided to do exactly what clakmas is doing and buy a whole bunch to look thorugh and submit bulk. So I have 100 sets coming in soon and some free time to look at them next weekend. i will try to post comments of what I find here after I look through them all.

Seems like it will be a tough year for the ms69s this year despite the SF coins.

Anyone else have any comments to add yet, even though it is still early?

Zach
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a commonly accepted name for those kind of marks.

I've heard of "planchet marks" and "chicken scratch". But what is the correct term for these?

PC >>

I don't know which is correct but "chicken scratches" came around first. I tend to call them planchet scrathes.
    Tempus fugit.