Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankee Fans Only: What Does Booing Arod Accomplish?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Just curious, for the yankee fans in the house who feel the need and/or desire to boo the best player on your team, what exactly do you hope it will accomplish?

Do you think it makes you a more 'passionate' fan? Or do you feel it might make you look like a spoiled brat?

Do you think it will somehow motivate Arod to do better? Or do you understand he's harder on himself than any boozed up fan could ever be?

I asked repeatedly in the yankees thread, but no one could give me a response...perhaps a thread devoted to it will help.

So, yankee 'fans', what do you say?

(and no, don't give me the reasons why you think you SHOULD boo (subpar year, excessive errors, etc). I want to know what you honestly, truly feel you accomplish by booing the hometown guy.

Comments

• Options
    Personally, I feel A-Rod is booed for one simple reason, PURE JEALOUSY! I mean, gosh, he makes so much money playing a kid's game! I guess Mantle NEVER had a slump in his career. To myself, a .279 average is highly respectable, and by season's end, chances are quite high he will meet his career average. I know many players would kill to have his "less than stellar" numbers thus far this season. I guess it is all A-Rod's fault, that he got what someone was willing to pay him, am I correct? Shaquille O'Neal made almost $28 million in 2005, but A-Rod makes too much money, even though he is the best player in the game! If Yankee fans do not like A-Rod, tell Georgie to get rid of him, many teams can afford to pay the $15 million he makes after Texas pays the first $10 million. Yankee fans are just your typical, east coast snobs, who think they deserve everything there is. Send A-Rod to the midwest, or back to the west coast, and perhaps resign Aaron Boone, then you bltches can bltch about someone who cannot fill his shoes!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed booing Derek Lowe when he was on the Red Sox ... well before he was making ten million a year. Fans boo when good players are in inordinately long slumps. I'd never consider booing someone like Alex Gonzalez if he went 0 for 9 in a game, I don't expect hitting from him (nice when he delivers!). Edgar Renteria brought lots of expectations with him to Boston for stellar fielding and clutch hitting and delivered on nothing -- thus the boos. Good players and bad slumps/seasons will create boo birds, that's baseball.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh yeah, it should be crystal clear that I am not a Yankee fan.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    because he can't hit good pitching and makes lots of errors.

...and he sucks.

and to answer yor idiotic question:

It accomplishes just a bit more than making 400 posts a day and spending most of your waking hours attacking the Yankees and Yankee Fans in a chat forum... it let's tools like you who think he is the "bestest player ever" know the truth...he is a fraud and a clown.

• Options
    You could ask the same question about anyone in any sport: what does booing them accomplish?

I guess it's not so much what it accomplishes, it's just a way we (all sports fans) vent when something doesn't go our way. In a case like A-Rod's, when you're not playing as good as you should be* it also shows the player(as if he isn't already aware) that he is not performing up to standards. If you really want to follow this question to its conclusion, you could also ask, what does cheering accomplish?

*Just so we don't this can of worms again, A-Rod is not playing as good as he should- he should not be leading the league in errors, he should not be hitting below .300, he should not be failing in the clutch. Until this changes, he'll be booed. Like most Yankee fans, I still believe in him, and think when he finally steps away from the game he'll be remembered as one of the best Yankees ever. It's just that right now he is not performing up to standards. The same way Mantle and several other Yankees were booed in their playing days when they werre not performing up to standards. He'll come around, he's too good not to.
  • Options

<< <i>You could ask the same question about anyone in any sport: what does booing them accomplish?

I guess it's not so much what it accomplishes, it's just a way we (all sports fans) vent when something doesn't go our way. In a case like A-Rod's, when you're not playing as good as you should be* it also shows the player(as if he isn't already aware) that he is not performing up to standards. If you really want to follow this question to its conclusion, you could also ask, what does cheering accomplish?

*Just so we don't this can of worms again, A-Rod is not playing as good as he should- he should not be leading the league in errors, he should not be hitting below .300, he should not be failing in the clutch. Until this changes, he'll be booed. Like most Yankee fans, I still believe in him, and think when he finally steps away from the game he'll be remembered as one of the best Yankees ever. It's just that right now he is not performing up to standards. The same way Mantle and several other Yankees were booed in their playing days when they werre not performing up to standards. He'll come around, he's too good not to. >>

This pretty much sums it up. When a player goes to NY with as much potential and talent...When they are getting paid that much, they have to live up to the standards that the fans and media put on them. Don't forget that leading up to Arod's arrival, Yankees fans heard nothing but negativity about Jeter. 'Jeter should switch positions. Jeter isn't even the best shortstop on the team'. Many Yankee fans took those comments to heart and got p'o'ed by the media about the infatuation with Arod, and lack of respect for Jeter. Remember, these are the same fans that would jump in front of a bullet for Jeter. I think Arod ended up with a lot of animosity from the fans because the media praised him so...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You mean to tell me that the 'fans' in seattle do not boo any players?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I feel A-Rod is booed for one simple reason, PURE JEALOUSY! I mean, gosh, he makes so much money playing a kid's game! I guess Mantle NEVER had a slump in his career. To myself, a .279 average is highly respectable, and by season's end, chances are quite high he will meet his career average. I know many players would kill to have his "less than stellar" numbers thus far this season. I guess it is all A-Rod's fault, that he got what someone was willing to pay him, am I correct? Shaquille O'Neal made almost $28 million in 2005, but A-Rod makes too much money, even though he is the best player in the game! If Yankee fans do not like A-Rod, tell Georgie to get rid of him, many teams can afford to pay the $15 million he makes after Texas pays the first $10 million. Yankee fans are just your typical, east coast snobs, who think they deserve everything there is. Send A-Rod to the midwest, or back to the west coast, and perhaps resign Aaron Boone, then you bltches can bltch about someone who cannot fill his shoes! >>

News flash....Mickey Mantle was booed.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    How come almost every single fan in attendance of the All-Star game boooooooooooed A-Rod so loud that Fox had to change the audio image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>You mean to tell me that the 'fans' in seattle do not boo any players?

Steve >>

I have never been to a baseball game where home town players are booed. Booing has always been reserved for the opposing team's best player(s), certainly not for the home team's best player.

It doesn't show passion of the fans, it shows a spoiled brat mentality. I still haven't heard anyone approaching an answer of what they think booing the hometown guy accomplishes?

Why is that?

• Options
    It lets him know there are people (like me) who wish he wasn't on their favorite team. Is that enough?

I would put it's accomplishment on a similar level as message board posting.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I would put it's accomplishment on a similar level as message board posting. >>

So you're saying it accomplishes nothing? FINALLY, an answer.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Right - it lets someone who's voice wouldn't otherwise be heard get a small measure of satisfaction by letting others know their opinion, no matter how wrong or ignorant it may be.

Since it accomplishes nothing, why get so worked up about it? And why should ARod be bothered by it?
  • Options

<< <i>Or do you feel it might make you look like a spoiled brat? >>

This is always a funny argument to me, about Yankee fans being spoiled brats, especially those in their early 30's like many of us on the board... People seem to forget that after 78 (my earliest baseball memories) the Yankees didn't win squat for 18 long years that included some really bad teams. This include my entire childhood, adolescence (sp?) and some young adulthood - a time when many are inclined to jump on bandwagons and decide to like teams because they just won a title, have a star player, or are perceived to be "up-and-coming."

The 4 titles in 5 years from 96-2000 were awesome, but I don't think it spoiled anyone except the bandwagon fans - I fully expect another long dry run in my lifetime, no matter how much money people cry about NY spending. Other teams catch lightning in a bottle, injuries happen, relievers crap the bed, etc...

I think any booing for ARod is more closely related to his play than to anyone being "spoiled brats"..
  • Options

<< <i>Right - it lets someone who's voice wouldn't otherwise be heard get a small measure of satisfaction by letting others know their opinion, no matter how wrong or ignorant it may be.

Since it accomplishes nothing, why get so worked up about it? And why should ARod be bothered by it? >>

I am certainly not 'worked up' about it, just find it incredibly amusing that yankee 'fans' want to boo arguably the best player in a long, long time, because he's having a bad spell. And when pressed for why they boo, they can't give a reason why.
  • Options
    I have watched hundreds of thousands of games over my years.

I've heard boos in HOU, KC, SEA, OAK, SF, CHI (both teams), ATL, TX, etc... All players go through slumps and if it's prolonged enough, the fans will express their displeasure.

The only city that I can recall never, ever booing one of their players is STL.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    stownie dragging the topic off track...and no one has yet to tell me what booing Arod accomplishes.

• Options

<< <i>no one has yet to tell me what booing Arod accomplishes. >>

Why don't you ask the +/- 40,000 people at this year's All-Star game image
  • Options

<< <i>
    Why don't you ask the +/- 40,000 people at this year's All-Star game image >>

That has nothing to do with my question. Thanks for yet another derail attempt.
  • Options
    It's not a derail at all; Yankee fans aren't the only ones who boo E-Rod.

The booooooos at the All-Star game were astonishing. I mean, it sounded like the entire stadium was boooooooooooing A-Rod. With it being played on a "neutral" field and the players being voted in so the fans could watch, doesn't that say something? What did it accomplish? Well, I mean, other than his error, misplayed one ball and would have been an error had it not been for Papi, and go 0-fer?
  • Options
    Stown-

you again avoid the question with unrelated events.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yankee fans are famous for booing some of their best players. Mantle was not fully embraced by the fans until 1961, when he and Maris were taking the run at 61 home runs. I would think that at some point, they will realize what a great player he is and ease up on him a bit.

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    How did the Mariners do tonight ? This week ? Oh, thats right, Ax wouldnt know, he is too busy watching the Yankees and Arod. My bad.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>How did the Mariners do tonight ? This week ? Oh, thats right, Ax wouldnt know, he is too busy watching the Yankees and Arod. My bad. >>

I know exactly how they did tonight: Hallday pitched a gem and they got their heads beaten in. I don't get too high with a win or too low with a loss...I know the season still has a long ways to go, and the team is far ahead of where they are expected to be with so much young talent on the team (something the old, broken down yankees know little about). I see next year the young kids who are flourishing this year (Lopez and Betancourt) becoming more consistent next year. Johjima is a stud, and his game calling has vastly improved as the season's gone on.

I don't watch the yankees, but I do check out to see how Arod does. Unlike you dopes, I hope he comes out of his slump. I bet a good portion of the yankee 'fans' are loving his struggles and relish in being able to boo him.
  • Options
    Yeah you dont get too high on a win or a loss because you are too busy talking about the Yankees to care either way.

The M's are far ahead of where they were expected ? Dude, they are under .500. And the old broken down Yankees have plenty more young talent on their team than the M's do, in case reality has slipped past you once again.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>Yeah you dont get too high on a win or a loss because you are too busy talking about the Yankees to care either way.

The M's are far ahead of where they were expected ? Dude, they are under .500. And the old broken down Yankees have plenty more young talent on their team than the M's do, in case reality has slipped past you once again. >>

Yes, they were expected to be a 90-100 loss team this year, due to the influx of so much youth. They are actually performing above expectations. Speaking about expectations, how come the yankees and their all-star lineup and $200 million in payroll aren't in first place by a mile? Hell, they've only outspent the team their trailing by $70 million. Shouldn't they be ahead?

The Yankees have plenty more young talent on their team than the M's do? Let's not talk about the emergency reserves, let's talk about opening day rosters there spankee boy, and see which team is actually embracing youth as a way to win, and which team is using it as a crutch.

• Options
    Spin Spin Spin

Who cares about opening day ? They had a few great young players on opening day, and since then have called up several more young players who are proving themselves to be good. Thats what teams do, they call up talent when needed.

And they arent in first place by a mile because two corner outfielders who are perennial all stars have been hurt all season. Oh, they also have a YOUNG, talented 2nd basemen who is an all star out hurt too. Shall I keep going, or have you been shown enough ?

Keep going on your rant, you are just proving my point and everyone elses once again of what a dope you are.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> aren't in first place by a mile? Hell, they've only outspent the team their trailing by $70 million. Shouldn't they be ahead?

The Yankees have plenty more young talent on their team than the M's do? Let's not talk about the emergency reserves, let's talk about opening day rosters there spankee boy, and see which team is actually embracing youth as a way to win, and which team is using it as a crutch. >>

Ax, the Yankee are 2.5 games out. That is a mile? Come on baby, lets do the TWIST image

Also, I have yelled at you already about the payroll thing. How dare you bring it up again? Your lame little arguement is just that ..... lame. If your little idea had any merit EACH AND EVERY TEAM in baseball would finish in the standings according to payroll ranking EVERY YEAR in EVERY DIVISION....... forever. You use this arguement ONLY when it suits you.

Also, so the Yankees have decided to bring up young talent instead of spending even more money to fill the many gaps they have due to injury. And you are going to bash THAT TO Ax? You mean to tell me that you are actually critisizing the Yankees for using their farm system to help them fill large holes on the team INSTEAD of trading them away and spending TONS more money? Dude, WHAT THW FU$K IS WITH YOU MAN image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    Ax, the Yankee are 2.5 games out. That is a mile? Come on baby, lets do the TWIST

I believe his point was with their high payroll why is it that their not up in the division by a mile.

He wasn't stating they were behind by a mile

DP
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That arguement is lame. Like I said, if it had any merit teams would finish according to payroll from first to last all the time.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>That arguement is lame. Like I said, if it had any merit teams would finish according to payroll from first to last all the time. >>

It doesn't have great merit because some teams are over-spending suckers.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Ax, the Yankee are 2.5 games out. That is a mile? Come on baby, lets do the TWIST image >>

What are you talking about? I didn't say the red sox were in first place by a mile, I said the yankees SHOULD be.

<< <i>Also, I have yelled at you already about the payroll thing. How dare you bring it up again? Your lame little arguement is just that ..... lame. If your little idea had any merit EACH AND EVERY TEAM in baseball would finish in the standings according to payroll ranking EVERY YEAR in EVERY DIVISION....... forever. You use this arguement ONLY when it suits you. >>

Look, I already did this research dope. Go back, oh, say the last 5 years. And you'll see the teams that make the playoffs by and large are in the top third of payroll spending EACH and EVERY year. Two exceptions I can think of: oakland one year, minnesota one year, and florida one year. In each of those three cases, they failed to make the playoffs the next year. Big payroll doesn't guarantee you a playoff spot, but it sure as help makes the road a LOT easier. If it wasn't payroll, then why do the yankees spend $200 million a year? If it was about the payroll, then why is Steinbrenner blowing $200 mil a year? hmmm?

<< <i>Also, so the Yankees have decided to bring up young talent instead of spending even more money to fill the many gaps they have due to injury. And you are going to bash THAT TO Ax? You mean to tell me that you are actually critisizing the Yankees for using their farm system to help them fill large holes on the team INSTEAD of trading them away and spending TONS more money? Dude, WHAT THW FU$K IS WITH YOU MAN image >>

Dude, if anyone wanted that 'talent', you can sure as hell believe queen george would be trading them to get established free agents in exchange...it's been the team MO for how long? Why do you think they are using young talent? Surely not because georgie wants to, but because he has to.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Dude, if anyone wanted that 'talent', you can sure as hell believe queen george would be trading them to get established free agents in exchange...

dude, get a clue. free agents are signed, not traded for.

Steve
    Good for you.