Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Poll: when you buy a vintage pack, do you open or leave it closed?

Maybe there's been a poll of this question before but whatwith the guys opening their '80s baseball and football packs I thought it would be an ample time to ask again.

Comments

• Depends on the year. Gotta be more specific with what you would term "vintage"......
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Ok, say pre-1980 (though it's probably hard to imagine buying a lot of unopened '79 or '80 product without opening it considering the vast amount out there). Personally, I keep my packs closed. When I buy GAI packs from the '80s I buy them to build a collection. I just bought a '79 OPC hockey pack and do not intend on opening it. The same goes for all my wax trays.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When PSA slabbed unopened 1960s baseball packs begin to be offered in the marketplace, I'm going to buy some and bust every one.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    in cards we trust, so bust you must! image
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opening vintage packs is certainly fun and provides a real rush, but it's strictly a gamble, unless you are getting a case-fresh box from a reputable dealer. I also like the idea of collecting and keeping packs in their unopened state, as the number of authentic unopened vintage packs will surely decrease over time as more and more packs are opened, thereby adding value to your unopened pack in the process. After all, I can recall 1971 wax packs going for about $100 just 10 years ago, and now they're worth three times that. From a nostalgic perspective, there's also something appealing to me as a collector to possess these packs in their true and original unopened state, and there's always that "future rainy day" when, if the mood strikes, you can look forward to opening them if you so desire. I realize that most of the collectors on here prefer ripping packs for card grading purposes, but there are many collectors of unopened vinatge material and the serious ones tend to pony up some serious coin to add the rarer unopened specimens for their collections.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Leave them closed.

I only gamble on stuff I have a decent chance of winning image
  • mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Any pack I come across gets ripped to shreds!
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Leave them closed.

I only gamble on stuff I have a decent chance of winning image >>

Then you don't belong on these boards image

• << <i>

<< <i>Leave them closed.

I only gamble on stuff I have a decent chance of winning image >>

Then you don't belong on these boards image >>

heh, well my other board has better emoticons

image at opening packs image
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A vintage pack...

Is like a first date with a virgin...

Everything is fresh...

Everthing is new...

There's anticipation and anxiety in the air...

Wild and obscene thoughts race thru one's mind...

You touch and there's electricity, raw emotion, unbridled excitement...

That vintage pack should stay virgin.

mike
    Mike
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Stone's analogy image. As long as you can hold out busting open that seal on that vintage pack, you can keep fantasizing about that PSA 10 Lynn hiding within.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "When PSA slabbed unopened 1960s baseball packs begin to be
    offered in the marketplace, I'm going to buy some and bust every one. "

///////////////////////////////////////////

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, those who want to rip - I think that's great!

I couldn't afford to do it but I applaud the rippers!!!

However, for the investor minds out there - I think there's way more value in the pack unopened and entombed in a PSA holder.

mike
    Mike
  • psa graded packs ? please I would buy sgc over psa any day
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>A vintage pack...

Is like a first date with a virgin...

Everything is fresh...

Everthing is new...

There's anticipation and anxiety in the air...

Wild and obscene thoughts race thru one's mind...

You touch and there's electricity, raw emotion, unbridled excitement...

That vintage pack should stay virgin.

mike >>

my first date with a virgin days r done....come to think of it, they never began....I'm going Edward Scissorhands on my vintage packs, starting now!!! image actually, I wouldn't blame anyone for holding the graded packs, values just keep rising....i just luv rippin' 'em and having wild and obscene thoughts of 1/1, er POP 1 gems
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I leave them closed until they taunt me to no end. Then I open them. I can usually hold out a few seconds.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

• << <i>I leave them closed until they taunt me to no end. Then I open them. I can usually hold out a few seconds. >>

If you had a choice, would you rather pull a T206 Wagner or get mad cow disease?

<< <i>

<< <i>I leave them closed until they taunt me to no end. Then I open them. I can usually hold out a few seconds. >>

If you had a choice, would you rather pull a T206 Wagner or get mad cow disease? >>

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I leave them closed until they taunt me to no end. Then I open them. I can usually hold out a few seconds. >>

If you had a choice, would you rather pull a T206 Wagner or get mad cow disease? >>

image >>

Honus Wagner had mad cow disease? If he worked for sgc or sent his cards there he wouldnt have gotten it or better yet he would have been cured.

<< <i>

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    I leave most unopened stuff unopened. If unopened stuff is plentiful, then I say go for it, otherwise, if you have a few, maybe open one, but leave the rest. They're a real treasure unopened. Some unopened packs are more rare than most of the cards in the set, so having one is like having the rarest card in the set.

As far as opening a tobacco pack from 1909 goes, good luck! I'd like to have an unopened one, but there's a lot of homework to be done before cracking one, or you might end up with a flower card or something instead of a baseball card. Plus, it's probably stained something fierce.

Hey, that makes me think -- has anyone ever opened an unopened pack of Sweet Caporal 1909's and smoked one? image There was a thread a while back about chewing gum from old packs -- I want to see video of someone smoking tobacco packaged in 1909...

Doug
  • DJ-Even if I didn't get one card out the deal I'd be willing to smoke it. And this goes for anyone who may come across it. Yes, and I'd be willing to videotape it as well.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    Excellent! OK, so who has an old unopened tobacco pack burning a hole in their pocket????

And as long as we're lighting 'em up, I wouldn't mind trying one too...

That old gum thread I mentioned nearly tempted me to open a pack of 1954 Bowman football to try the gum. Well, plus, I'd just like to open something from the 50's.

Doug
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

Premature packulation? image

• << <i>

Premature packulation? image >>

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Matt, did it really take you 2 years to come to this decision?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    her drawz is mine, or off. Both work 4 me.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.