Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin World to Feature my Half Dimes -- HUGE PICS

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was fortunate enough to receive a PM from a fellow forum member a little while ago giving me the opportunity to contact the editor of Coin World (Beth Deisher) concerning helping out with a feature planned for the December issue of Coin Values on grading Capped Bust Half Dimes. Ms. Deisher and I discussed the goal of the article as showing photographs of properly graded CBHD all the way from AG to MS. I pulled my collection from the bank and selected 60 coins I figured would photograph well and demonstrated appropriate attributes for the grade. I sent coins grading from MS-64 down to AG-3. Some coins were common die marriages, others were quite scarce to rare. Some were at or near condition census for the die marriage or remarriage...something CBHD enthusiasts will appreciate when the article is published. Ms. Deisher told me that Michael Fahey would grade all the coins and assess their photos for suitability. I FedEx'd my coins to Amos Publishing and they photographed all sixty coins. When I got my coins back this week I also had a nice CD of the 60 coins I sent in. I will provide Coin World's photos for three of my coins below (three different "looks" and grades). All of the photos are in black and white, I guess that is how they will be published in the grading guide (Making the Grade, I believe that what the article series is called). This is a hastily put-together post as being Mr. Mom all week leaves me little time outside of my daughter's two hour nap for me to put together a more eloquent post. Anyway, here are the photos. If anyone has any questions, ask aloud or via PM. And thanks to the two forum members (you know who you are) who helped this happen.

1829 LM-15.1:

imageimage

1833 LM-3.2 (LM Plate Coin):

imageimage

1836 LM-7:

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    That's very cool! image I hope I will be able to read it!

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations BD!

I'm glad that the stash had made it's way back to you safely. Having that many baby busty's in the mail at one time must have been a bit nerve racking. I can't wait to see the article and actually re-upped my subscription to Coin World when you first told me about this. I can't wait to see which ones they picked. Hopefully your '33 3.2 will be one of them...being that it is so instantly recognizable as the LM plate coin.

This article is going to be great for everyone in numismatics but I think it will be excellent for those of us crazy enough to dive deep into these tiny coins. Can't wait for it to arrive image
  • Options
    Decenber's Coin Values comes out in November? Please give us a reminder.

Jerry
  • Options
    I too just renewed my Coin World subscription and made sure I added Coin Values to the subscription. I do expect it to be out in November. Also, when Coin World has enough series to publish its next edition of Coin Values in book form, my coins will be part of that book. That could be a couple of years in the future.

I am also wondering which ones they used. I sent multiple examples of the grades I had many specimens for. I sent only one or two specimens for some of the MS grades.
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Richardimage

Hayden
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    nice

my only bust 1/2 dime

I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Wow.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Barndog; Way to go. jws
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's so cool! Congrats Richard.
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Awesomeness imageimage
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. imageimage
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Excellent...that cinches it..I have decided to go ahead with a subscription to
    Coin World/values.

I've been on the fence for awhile.

Anyway...what a cool opportunity to be a part of.

• Options
    Update: I just received my copy of "Coin Values" and it is the Capped Bust Half Dime issue! The featured articles were well-written and informative. The only disappointment I had with the entire thing was that a Heritage coin was featured on the cover (1836 LM-1.2, if I recall the auction correctly, it was an NGC MS-64). Check it out if you subscribe. If you don't subscribe, find an issue and maybe you'll become a half dime convert too!
  • Options
    Right on BD! I'm glad to hear it came out well. What actually did make the cover?
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the December Coin Values also. Congratulations, Barndog and thank you for providing coins for this guide! image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I got the issue and I put it on the "need to read eventually" pile. However, now that I know Barndog is behind the article, I will definitely read through it tonight. Congrats!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>Right on BD! I'm glad to hear it came out well. What actually did make the cover? >>

I checked Heritage archives and saw that it was not an NGC-64, rather it was an ANACS-64 that made the cover: LINK (you'll need a free Heritage account to view the photo)
  • Options
    Congratulations. Very nice coins!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'll have to look at the article. Wish that they took better pics though.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    The 1836 LM1.2 is a darn good cover coin though. It'll catch the attention of the masses of non half dime collectors with those missing stars.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1836 LM1.2 is a darn good cover coin though. It'll catch the attention of the masses of non half dime collectors with those missing stars. >>

Please tell us, Cladiator (I smell an educational opportunity), why are there missing stars?
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Way to go. It's like being a proud parent. Look forward to reading the article. Congrats.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The 1836 LM1.2 is a darn good cover coin though. It'll catch the attention of the masses of non half dime collectors with those missing stars. >>

Please tell us, Cladiator (I smell an educational opportunity), why are there missing stars? >>

Why I do believe it was from the rather massive and severe reverse cud that caused the strike weakness at the stars. The 1836 LM1.2 is a very extreme example of this phenomena where the stars are nearly invisible.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

That is cool! Congratulations. Maybe you can sign my copy at the next coin show.
  • Options

<< <i>That is cool! Congratulations. Maybe you can sign my copy at the next coin show. >>

I'd be glad to do that...did you note the quoted source of the coins provided? That Kathryn is an astute YN!
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    imageimage Awesome. Even your coins can have their 15 minutes of fame. image Very cool!!
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options

<< <i>That Kathryn is an astute YN! >>

Yeah I want KDM to sign my copy image Can she write yet? hehe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That Kathryn is an astute YN! >>

Yeah I want KDM to sign my copy image Can she write yet? hehe >>

her signature is no doubt more legible than that of most "celebrities"

Leave a Comment