Home Sports Talk

The Official Chiefs Thread

kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
Big news in KC. We've been trying to get him since last year. Hopefully he stays healthy and shores up the defense. With him and Surtain covering receivers, it should give the D-line more time to pressure the QB.
Travis

Comments

• A good signing, he's getting older but he's a ballhawk. He also has a tendency of either getting a pick or getting a flag.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    kcballboy - Who is your defensive co-ordinator? I like your new head man Herm Edwards, but despite his "play to win" speech, he often plays not to lose. So his defenses are often bend but not break.
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>kcballboy - Who is your defensive co-ordinator? I like your new head man Herm Edwards, but despite his "play to win" speech, he often plays not to lose. So his defenses are often bend but not break. >>

Gunther Cunningham - Same guy who had the D when it was the best in the league in the 90's. This is his 3rd year back after a stint with the Titans, and with Dick Vermiel gone he is starting to get more control over who he puts on the field and the plays that get called. They let him loose last year when we picked up Pat Surtain, Sammy Knight, Kendrell Bell and Carlos Hall, and let him draft Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali. He's probably warm in the shorts now after getting Law. Hopefully these guys will come together in their second year and perform (This means you too Kendrell Bell). I think Gunther is definitely more play to win. He's big on blitzes, and that was evident last year as they put a lot more pressure on the QB. Plus, how can you doubt the intensity of a guy calling plays while taking hits off of smelling salts? image
    Travis
  • WHAT????? No more William Bartee at D-Back?????.....Crap!

This is disappointing news, as the chiefs routinely have the worst defense in the NFL.....now they'll not be #1 in anything with Ty Law back there.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure Ty & Herm were making plans for this day back when they were on the Jets. Herm is a liar. He claimed to only want to coach the Jets while orchestrating his departure and his getaway at the same time. He's good enough to motivate his players and KC will probably even make the playoffs but his clock management skills and his play calling is awful as the fans in KC will soon see.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    ~"He's good enough to motivate his players and KC will probably even make the playoffs but his clock management skills and his play calling is awful as the fans in KC will soon see."~

I could not agree more with that statement.

kcballboy - If Gunther likes to put heat on the QB that bodes well for Herm staying away. In Donnie Henderson's first year with the Jets they brought pressure from everywhere. Last year he brought very little and preferred to rush 4 and sit back.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KC, why not turn this into a Chiefs thread? I need to go off topic and ask about Holmes, whats the news? Will he play or what?
  • ^^
    He's on the PUP(Physically unable to perform) list; and if he's kept on that list for a while he's first opening to return will be week 9. That's unlikely, as imo he won't be coming back anytime.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With LJ in the backfield, the Priest is expendable if he's healthy enough to trade. Johnson is an absolute beast and probably one of the top 3 backs in the league at this point.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Priest won't be traded because

1. His age and injury history, coupled with his contract make it next to impossible.
    2. He is pretty committed to the Chiefs. He has been leaving KC hanging with his indecision, but he is loyal to the team in that he would probably be willing to restructure his contract and has said before that he has no problem being in a back-up role.

The Chiefs have no decent back-up running back, so keeping him with a new contract would be ideal, if he is healthy. I think the budget has been set, so if he does in fact retire, it would free up some cap room.

Everyone in KC is as much in the dark about his condition as the rest of the country. No one around here has a clue how he is. There have been some theories floated around that he knows he is done, but is avoiding the decision as long as possible in order to keep collecting his paycheck. Hopefully not, as that would negate everything I just said about his loyalty and commitment.
    Travis
  • Priest will not be traded. He is damaged goods. No one will pickup that salary for such a big question mark.

He also will not start for the Chiefs, even if he is in camp. At best, you'd see about a 80/20 split (LJ getting the 80%) with LJ getting a majority of the goaline touches.

So if he's on your fantasy team, try to make a trade with some other sucker.....tell 'em that you heard he'll be back!image
    Willie Roaf retired today. It was real nice of him to wait until the first day of camp to let the Chiefs know. Nice guy but I think this was a pretty $hitty way of doing it.
    Travis
  • During the interview on 810am, he did sound pretty committed to it - didn't sound like a "training-camp" retirement.

This puts a little dent in LJs numbers at RB
    It's not too promising when your best tackle has been out of the league for two years. We'll see. I'm pretty sure LJ's success is due only to his talent and he doesn't have to rely on anyone else to get to 2,000 yards and 30 touchdowns...

No, I'm not.
    Travis
  • ...that Kyle Turley signing is looking a bit smarter now......I suppose.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway you look at it Roaf retiring leaves a huge void in that OL, Turley is no Willie Roaf. I think L J's #'s will still be pretty much the same though, they will just have to run more to the other side.....???
    Thought I'd send this back ttt since I am getting tired of reading all of the same Ax vs. NY threads.

Pretty wicked looking facemask by Antrelle Rolle on Sunday. Can't understand how something like that isn't worth a fine or suspension. Blatantly gradding and yanking just to save the TD. Could be my KC bias, but that's twice this year that hand slaps have been given for putting our two biggest players in dangerous situations.

Damon Huard has been making great decisions and throws (#2 in passer rating)

LJ looks like a mid-level back with this O-line

Sitting at 2-2 with a backup QB and a JV O-line. Next two games against Pit and SD will determine how the rest of the season goes. Even if we lose both we can make it up because we have 2 left against Oakland. image

That's all for now. Just needed to read something else.
    Travis