Home Metal Detecting
Options

A little behind in posting my finds this month...

I'm a little behind in posting my finds this month...
But since you could fry an egg on the sidewalk outside this week, I'm hibernating inside and will catch up with stuff from earlier this month.

imageimage

These coins won't compete with Steve's half cent but I'll take 'em... image

HUNT #1

After an hour or so, I had only found one wheatback cent (1918?) and a modern nickel and the usual bag-o-trash, so I decided to head out. Right about 50 feet from my car, I got a sweet signal, dug down, and out came what I thought was a washer. But, after rinsing it off a bit, I could see writing, inspected it a little more and saw that it was a holed half dime. I think the phrase "holed out" is a little too kind for this coin. It's more like a "blown out" half dime! Well, a seated is enough to encourage me to stay out a little longer so I did, but only found trash the remainder of the time. Other items included a harmonica reed, end of a pocket knife, old lead, and my favorite relic for the night was a lead powder-flask top (the plug used to keep the gun powder inside a powder flask). I've found a few of these in the past and I always enjoy these little pieces of history...

Group shot:

1872-S Half Dime ("blown-out" or "only a mother could love" - take your pick image)

Half Dime with Powder Flask Top

HUNT #2

This was a "spur of the moment" hunt... a friend of mine said he was going to be working late (around 10PM) one night so we decided to get out. I got there first, we spoke on the phone and we decided on a meeting location. Within about 5 minutes and after only a few targets, I pulled my find of the night. My friend showed up and I told him he wasn't going to be happy. It was a folded/holed 1840 half dime. This hunt didn't last too long so the total targets were not much... Some sort of prayer token (maybe AA?), modern quarter, the half dime, pieces of a powder flask, a pistol ball, and other junk.

Group shot:

After rinsing this half dime, I knew it was one that I'd need to discuss with LM... first, it's holed (his favorite), it's folded (apparently a custom brought over from England?), and lastly, it has been engraved (maybe a loved one's initial or just the Roman numeral "V" for 5 cents?).

1840 Half Dime Pics:

This is mostly trying to catch up with a bunch of finds from earlier this month... so less commentary and throwing some pictures out there for everyone to hopefully enjoy. Hope you enjoy the pics and thanks for lookin'...

HH, Rick image

Comments

• Options
    >>enjoy<<

Yes! Good to look at. Better to find ;-)

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Man that ain't just holed,somebodt shot that oneimage Look's like that half dime realy miffed somebody offimage
    Nice find's Rickster!!HH,Tom
  • Options
    Some interesting finds. Nice half dime although bent.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Wow!! Two more half dimes! image
    A shame that the 1872-s was not two years older.. image

Both of them certainly have a lot of character. Looks like a fairly small caliber gun used on the shot through one?
    I can see how that one would have been easy to mistake for a washer. It looks identical to the three washers in your top picture.

I feel sooo much better seeing that you have to work for your finds image. The top picture looks exactly like the stuff one of my sites is producing, excluding the top row of the white paper image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Nice work Rick!

Two half dimes in any condition is a great find!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>The top picture looks exactly like the stuff one of my sites is producing >>

Make that most sites for me.
    Nice finds Rick!!
  • Options
    <<Two half dimes in any condition is a great find!>>

Agreed! image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

<<I feel sooo much better seeing that you have to work for your finds>>

and

<<Make that most sites for me.>>

I thought it'd be fun to show what usually comes with the good stuff... kind of a good dose of reality concerning our hobby. It's not easy! (as one friend of mine says "if it were easy, everyone would do it!") You don't see me posting all the outings that produce nada-nutin'-nothing (and there are definitely a lot of those outings!) But.... we all know that. image