Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Bidder Frustration

Who is lmayer and why does he always outbid me?

Comments

• Options
    beach64beach64 Posts: 218 ✭✭
    Don't be mad, he outbids many each month. He doesnt always win but he sure bids alot. A quick search shows 3257 bids the last 30 days and 716 auctions won.
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Larry Mayer out of California. Notorious for low balling tons of cards on eBay. He does so to stock his inventory at members.aol.com/bbcards4u. While he bids agressively for certain sets, most of the time if he outbids you, you're not bidding near market. He is a great guy to deal with.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Ditto what spacktrack said - if you're losing regularly to Louis, you're bidding too low. I know that sounds obvious, but Louis rarely overbids a card - if he's the underbidder to a card you've won, then you probably got a good deal. He has become a bit more agressive lately, but he sets his sights and moves on. He's a good guy; excellent seller and great service.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    He has bought a few cards from me on ebay, and I think I have bought a few from him. He has always paid very promptly, and when I bought from him shipped cards out extremely fast. He is a top notch person that you should always be happy to do business with (unlike some on ebay).
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Great guy to deal with, whether buying or selling. He had a reputation for bidding low all the time, but over the last year I've seen a lot of his bids that were at very strong prices.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Yes, Larry is an absolute gem of a guy to deal with! We've made at least 60 flawless transactions over the years.
  • Options

<< <i>A quick search shows 3257 bids the last 30 days and 716 auctions won. >>

He's winning the auctions he bids on at a rate of 22%. I used to think he was a low-ball bidder, but 22% is rather high. My rate is probably around that too, and I don't consider myself a low-ball bidder.

Also he has a ton of sets registered on the PSA Registry under BBCards4U
  • Options
    I've won a few from him in the past, and on all they were shipped promptly and securely. Also, Imo I gotta a deal on everyone of them(I am a notorious lowballer).
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Larry Mayer out of California. Notorious for low balling tons of cards on eBay. He does so to stock his inventory at members.aol.com/bbcards4u. While he bids agressively for certain sets, most of the time if he outbids you, you're not bidding near market. He is a great guy to deal with. >>

There seems to be an increasing number of sets and/or player cards for which Larry is comfortable setting the market, as opposed to simply buying at the bottom of the market.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    a true gentleman. he is a bottom feeder and i wish i had his patience! a 5 star man in the card business
  • Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    If he is a bottom feeder, I would hate to think what people say about me.

I have bid against him a number of times, I must be a blue light special shopper.

I have also purchased items from Larry, an asset to the sports card business without a doubt,

one of the good guys.

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options

<< <i>Great guy to deal with, whether buying or selling. He had a reputation for bidding low all the time, but over the last year I've seen a lot of his bids that were at very strong prices. >>

I have noticed that too. Larry has got to know the market as well as most and if he is bidding stronger, that sounds like a good thing for the hobby. Btw, I agree, he's a great guy to deal with.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭

<< <i>
    There seems to be an increasing number of sets and/or player cards for which Larry is comfortable setting the market, as opposed to simply buying at the bottom of the market. >>

Very true--a few that come to mind are 55 Bowman (recently in PSA 9s) and 1976 Topps.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    lmayer, is not bottom feeding anymore. Strong strong bids on many years are coming from LM.
  • Options
    If some of you are missing out to Larry's bids, he also does trades. Check out his sight members.aol.com/bbcards4u & let him know what you have available. He will do his best to work something out so both parties benefit. I have traded with him a couple of times & have been happy with the outcome.

TB
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If some of you are missing out to Larry's bids, he also does trades. Check out his sight members.aol.com/bbcards4u & let him know what you have available. He will do his best to work something out so both parties benefit. I have traded with him a couple of times & have been happy with the outcome.
    TB >>

TB - glad you had better luck than I did! All I heard was how his cards were super-duper popular, and mine were easily replacable ;-) So I just ended up consigning mine.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Marc, he has this bizarre way of figuring out cards values. Pop's, SMR, where the moon is, theory of realitivity, etc.... If you can get by it, the deal usually benefits both parties. Took me one time of being frustrated but in the end, 2 trades were made. So he gets the thumbs up. Try the deal from a different angle.
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    .............bottom feeder??? NO WAY!!!..............................Bottom feeders do not collect vintage sets in PSA 9!!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your responses. Although I don't tend to overbid, I wasn't thinking I low ball all that much. In many cases I felt I was making respectable bids and lmayer was the one who consistently would outbid me. Appears to be a fine fellow and a credit to the hobby.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    And thanks for putting Larry onto my radar. He was previously unknown to me. I checked out his site and he had a couple of cards I wanted so I've arranged today to pick them up from him.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

<< <i>bottom feeder??? NO WAY!!!..............................Bottom feeders do not collect vintage sets in PSA 9!! >>

He might be buying vintage cards in PSA 9 condition only to list them on his website and then resell them at a higher price. So collect might not be the right word.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    bottom feeding on price, not quality. you can get a high pop 1966 psa 9 for $20 or less sometimes. i got one once for under $10.
  • Options
    Add me to the list. He is a great guy who has purchased many many cards from me over the years.
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    I also have had many deals with Larry and he has been great. I agree with Gaspipe hids bids as of late have increased.

DJJ
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    I agree, Larry is great to deal with. He seems to bid strong on PSA 9s but very patient and conservative on PSA 8s. At least that's what I see in the 1960 Topps market. Since I rarely go after 9s, I feel I got a great deal if Larry is just below me on the bidding.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>bottom feeder??? NO WAY!!!..............................Bottom feeders do not collect vintage sets in PSA 9!! >>

He might be buying vintage cards in PSA 9 condition only to list them on his website and then resell them at a higher price. So collect might not be the right word. >>

He prices his PSA 9s and PSA 10s on his website WAY above board. He keeps adding cards to his registered 1972 set.....rather then taking cards away......................................

.....hence, I believe, at heart ,he is a collector but if the right price comes along he will sell.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete