Home Metal Detecting

4:41 Am On The Beach, Hueneme Beach

It is warm even on the coast. So I hit the beach at 4:41 AM.
Start at the pier (it has lights :-))

Using the DFX with BigFOOT coil

Got some clad and trash on the way to the blanket line. Worked away from the pier, so the flash light (snake light) around my neck was what I had to find stuff in the scoop.

When I saw this gold coin in the scoop_____ I had to take a deep breath.
After a close look, my heart was able to settle down _ COPY is what I see on this thing.

I then went on to find more... 4 in total

I did find a silver ring and a pair of ear rings(junk).

Not a bad day.

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
imageimage

Comments

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that coin must have been quite a rush!
    Nice silver ring!

4:41... uggghhh, you sure are out early.
    I've missed a few early mornings myself, usually because of image and sometimes image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap, that picture made my heart skip a beat! image

I can imagine what finding that did to you!

First the fake Maple Leaf, now this? How bizarre. Is there some ritual involving fake gold coins on your beaches?

Fake or not, they're cool finds. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • That's some wild stuff there.....LOL...I'm afraid they would have found me face down on the beach, clutching my heart!...Pretty good finds, I'd say.
  • LM, What is it a copy of?

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Pretty cool Jerry!

It's one of those finds that's cool but sucks at the same time. image

Here's one on Fleebay
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage

• << <i>Pretty cool Jerry! It's one of those finds that's cool but sucks at the same time. image Here's one on Fleebay >>

Thanks GR. They don't give them away! $3.00 each plus shiping LOL

I will take it to the club meeting and see if I win an ounce of silver for it. ;-)

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage

• << <i>Holy crap, that picture made my heart skip a beat! image I can imagine what finding that did to you! First the fake Maple Leaf, now this? How bizarre. Is there some ritual involving fake gold coins on your beaches? Fake or not, they're cool finds. image >>

I don't know about "ritual", It is geeting old to me! I found one of these coins also last year:

I need to find the REAL thing soon. LOL

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Ummmm..........like this?

• At first glance I thought "Gosh Dang". But it's cool to find those too.

• << <i>Ummmm..........like this? image >>

That would work!!!!!!! LOL

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • 4 Copies in one day? That sucks! image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, guess what... yesterday I got a call from this local guy, who'd found a strange coin while detecting on our local beaches. His wife or mother had called around town trying to get help on ID'ing it, and since I seem to have become the town's resident "expert" on numismatics, the call eventually made it to me.

I drove out to meet him at the Steak & Shake restaurant near my house, and he pulled out a Spanish colonial cob-style 8-reales piece, with pretty toning!

Too bad it was a fake.

Sometimes folks will concoct fake stories of digging up stuff to go along with their fake coins, but I know this fella's story wasn't fake, even if the coin was. It still had a little sand stuck to it.

Actually, it was pretty nice for a fake. I'll bet it really got his adrenaline up. I told him about you finding fakes on the beach out there on the left coast. Burying fake treasure coins must be a cross-country ritual!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • PghpetePghpete Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    Now that's a "there I was..." story if I ever heard one. I wonder if some smarta$$ dropped that on purpose thinking he'd be funny.
  • I kept an 8 R copy as a pocket piece for a while... maybe someone dropped theirs...
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.