Home Metal Detecting
Options

Hello,

kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
Hello, well after about a year of finding this forum and lurking here, I finally joined this week. Always great stories and finds to read about. My first detector was one of the cheap orange Radio shack models probably 25 years or so ago- found alot of pennies and junk with it. MY last detector purchase (the one I dug out of moth balls last year after reading of others finds here)is my current one- a Garrett GTAX 1000 power master. Still works good (bought it new in about 95 or so). Hit my oldest silver yet with it a couple of weeks ago at a local swimming hole - a 1939 Merc (really wasn't expecting anything that old). Kinda what brought me to joining the forum, finally found something worth mentioning. Also just last week found something kinda cool, since I live in an old railroad depot the tracks were close by and I went out just before dusk and right near an old foundation wall found an elongated piece of copper- you probably guessed it- a flattened penny from some kid probably placing it on the tracks- only thing visible on it is the "oF A" in America (the tracks were tore up about 20 plus years ago and the station has been closed since the 1950's)

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a member of "The Garrett Mafia" myself (the old GTA-500, GTAx-550, and just bought a GTI-2500 from somebody here).

What area d'you live in?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum Kevinstang.......A new member of the Garrett gang.......!!!!

LM.. Looking at the pic in your sig, no one would believe those are individual flower heads (sour weed we call it here)...
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Garrett >>

Argh!!! The Garrett-mafia already has far too much power! imageimageimage

Welcome to the boards, and congrats on the silver! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options

<< <i>LM.. Looking at the pic in your sig, no one would believe those are individual flower heads (sour weed we call it here)... >>

Steve, that's the picture I shot when you were with me, that day up in Crescent.

I'm recycling some of my old sigline scenic shots, as you may have noticed. Shot a couple new ones this morning but haven't edited them yet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I am from way upstate NY, unfortunately were the soil is very good and seems to take things deep in a hurry. Finding sites with old material that isn't over a foot deep is hard. Just got back from visiting a reenactment day at the planned site (they are raising money to rebuild it now) of a former French/British/American Fort that dated from 1749. At one time there was an indian settlement there of over 3,000, couldn't help but think of the great stuff underneath my feet as I walked the ground. But once again unfortunately, it would all be well below ground- the railroad came in the 1860's and dumped about 3 feet of soil at site, followed by that alot of the area was used as the town dump. Oh well, I have several trips planned for getaways in August that are returns visits to sites I hit briefly late last summmer, one turned up some wheaties from the 20's and the other once had a castle on it... and yes it is in upstate NY, just quietly abanoned after a fire (found alot of melted lead and pieces of copper plate shingles? there last year). I bought a 4 1/2 inch coil over the winter and it has made hunting in the trashy areas alot more rewarding so far, hope it will do the same for these sites. Hopefully will learn how to do some picture posting here and be able to keep everyone informed.
  • Options
    I have found that 4.5" sniper coil useful in trashy areas, too.

New York state, eh?

A 1939 Merc ain't gonna remain your oldest silver coin for long.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭
    Another member of the Garrett Mafia signing in.

WELCOME
    imageimage

• Options

Ex G-mafia here.

<< <i>Hopefully will learn how to do some picture posting here and be able to keep everyone informed. >>

Link to posting pics image

Yeah we wanna see pics!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hello, thanks for the picture posting help, got one posted in the other forum last night- a 72 DDO 1c that I found in a bank roll- I just used my own web hosting source I already had rather than keep resizing. One more question though on the pictures- is there a way to put a custom photo next to your name - Icon I guess is what it is called, I just chose the SLQ because that is the set I am working on now, but it looks like some have custom photos of there own, not chosen from the list.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    One day per month, I think it's the 15th each month, you can upload your own icon to the Collectors Universe server.
    That day ("icon upload day"), an additional button appears at the bottom of your "profile" page for uploading your own icon.
    If memory serves, the picture can be max 100x100 pixels and 10 kB. You can then select that picture as your icon.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro