Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Player Set Registry Question??

Can you only add cards to your player registry from the years they played?? As an example I'm working on my Brian Winters master set which would be from 1975-81. Well the new Fleer Greats of the Game product has a base card along with an autograph card from him. If I had these graded would they add them to the master set composition or is it only good for the cards made during the years he played??

Comments

• Options
    typical response from PSA is that it could only go in the master set. The basic is for his playing days. That being said, PSA had no response to my question why Babe Ruth has basic cards in the '60's...????
  • Options
    Well since Winters only has a master set I guess it won't be a problem to add these current cards. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Wintersfan,

PSA has laid out the guidelines for eligible cards under the "Set Requests" tab at the top of the Set Registry pages. Among the things you asked about specifically, BOTH Basic and Master Sets require cards from the players' playing years and the first year after IF it "list(s) the previous year's stats for that player on the back of the card or were manufactured expressly to depict activity from the previous and final play year". Non-playing year cards such as you mentioned with the Fleer Greats of the Game (Brian Winters was a great of the game?) would NOT be eligible, although I'm sure you'd still enjoy them on the side.
  • Options

<< <i>typical response from PSA is that it could only go in the master set. The basic is for his playing days. >>

This is not accurate. Both Basic and Master are generally limited to playing years +1 (see above post).

<< <i> That being said, PSA had no response to my question why Babe Ruth has basic cards in the '60's...???? >>

First, the Ruth Basic Set does not contain any 1960s cards, just the 1948 Leaf beyond his playing years. Also, PSA has written some guidance on this. Also under the Set Requests tab mentioned in the above post, they write "In addition, there are a few vintage sets that may list one or two cards past the play years. These cards are allowed due to their extreme popularity. For example, in the Babe Ruth Basic Set, the 1948 Leaf is listed even though Ruth retired in 1935."

But your question as to why the 60s cards are included in his Master Set is a good one. I suppose they are suggesting that the 5 Fleer/Topps cards from 1960-1962 fit this premise for the Master Set, but it seems to stretch the envelope and could open up more problems down the road for just these kind of "Greats of the Game" or "Hall of Fame" type sets.
  • Options

<< <i>(Brian Winters was a great of the game?) >>

Well many times with these type of sets they stretch the definition of great just to be able to add some variety otherwise it would be the same 50 players over and over again. Winters wasn't a HOF type player because he didn't play long enough but he was very good and is considered to be one of the Bucks greatest players of all time.
    Thanks for the input on what can be added. I was looking around for that but missed it so the help is appreciated.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    You can always start a Collector's Showcase set with your post-playing days Brian Winters cards
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>You can always start a Collector's Showcase set with your post-playing days Brian Winters cards >>

Good idea!