Home PSA Set Registry Forum

PSA “New Holder” Announcement -Pricing Info Added Update 08/14/06

Recently, PSA announced that a brand new service is being created for the grading of unopened packs. We hope to have a variety of sizes completed within the next 3-6 weeks so we can start accepting packs from the public soon. We will also have some of our completed holders on display at the National so hobbyists can see the product.

In addition, PSA has also created two new inserts for our largest holder. These new custom inserts are available for grading today!

This holder, which is generally used for the grading of 1911 Turkey Reds (T3’s), will now have the capability of encapsulating more supersized issues.

The new inserts will measure

5 1/16 x 7 1/16 and 4 13/16 x 6 5/16.

The primary purpose of each insert is:

1) To provide an enhanced, custom fit to those cards that measure approximately 5x7. Cards eligible will include issues such as 1958-1965 Jay Publishing Picture Packs and a host of post-1980 supersized specialty cards manufactured by Donruss and Topps.

2) To provide an exact fit for 1977-79 Sportscaster cards, a very colorful set that contains some interesting cards like early examples of Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Wayne Gretzky in addition to almost 2,000 other subjects!

We hope that this new holder will provide a better fit for the cards that measure within the tolerances listed above and help create new markets for cards that have never been offered in PSA grading form before.

Comments

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Does this mean that you will also start grading thicker cards (jersey/swatch/etc) when you start grading the packs as well?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • There has been talk about the thicker cards but I don't have timelines or details as of yet.
    We'll post something when we have more definite information.

Carol
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I like others are waiting with many cards to send in.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Great news about the Sportscasters. Thanks Carol!
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    how about for thicker issues such as absolute memorabilia, leaf limited, leaf certified...when will PSA make a thicker slab to hold these cards?
  • redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Carol,
    One issue that I have been wanting to get graded for a long time are cards from the 1968-70 Partridge Meats set. These cards measure 4" by 5" and were distributed in the Cincinnati area.
  • I for one am psyched about the new holders. I have some regional issues Partridge Meats included that I have been wanting to get slabbed. Can't wait...except for the price.

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    That new 5x7 holder will be fantastic. I've been waiting to see the jumbo cards from the 80's in PSA holders. A great one will be the 1986 Topps jumbos. A complete set of those graded will look really cool.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Very excited here too. Can't wait for the response on some of the thicker cards.
  • Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those large holders $30 a pop?

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

<< <i>Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those large holders $30 a pop?

Red >>

Well, that will put a damper on the whole celebration.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    WOW, can you post a link to the price? I am technically challenged today.
  • My bad...it's $50

SUPER EXPRESS
    $50 per card
    Cards with a declared value of $1,000 - $2,499 and all Super Sized cards such as T3's, Cabinets, etc. must be submitted under this service or higher. This includes autographed cards

Red

>

• kcherevkakcherevka Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

$50.00! image

How about a special next month on these to kind of 'introduce' the new holders?
  • We need a clarification from PSA on this. I think the price is so high on these is partially based on turn around time and card value. If PSA was to ammend this for the lesser valued cards with a longer turn around then the price will come down.....I hope

Red

>

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    The price for this holder until last Jan 15th was 35.00, and then it bumped up to it's current 50.00
    It has nothing to do with the value of the card, as they have been slabbing Perez Steele Great Moments in them as well as T3/T9's.
    I think it's more based on the cost of creating the dies for a new, bigger holder, and the lower volume on sales of that holder.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Oh well I guess my Sportscaster cards will remain rawimage
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
    Holy moly, $50. Kinda kills that 86 Topps Jumbo idea. You'd have to get all PSA 10's to only take 50% loss on the transaction. I used to submit Isaly's Disc's under the $5 special and they are in larger holders but they had to be on a separate invoice. That's sounds fair. Hopefully they will do something like that.
  • This just in from my PM to Carol.

Red,

Sorry for the delay in answering your PM but I was out of the office last week for National.

Service for T-3's starts at $50 each but the turnaround time is 20 business days. T-3's are considered supersized cards and if you look at the form or service fees you will notice that even at the higher levels supersized cards and autographed cards are 20 business days. The faster turnaround times apply to regular cards only.

Carol,

Make me want to ask for a monthly special on this new holder as these prices will get little action from me
    Red

>

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Does that mean that 3 card Hostess Panels are $50 to grade?

Loves me some shiny!
  • I'm trying to get an answer for everyone and will let you know when I get one.

Carol
  • Thanks Carol

Red

>

• Ok,

I finally have some pricing info.

T3's and Perez Steele are still at the $50 or higher fees (depending on value) and the turnaround time is 20 business days.
    For all the other cards that will now go in this holder with the new inserts will be priced at Regular Service and up depending on the value of the item but all turnaround times are at 20 business days regardless of the fee due.

This will also be up on our site as soon.

Carol

• tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Just for clarification, the new holder with the insert will be the same size as the T3 holder but it will be less expensive to grade those odd sizes?

That doesn't seem right, I must be missing something.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    That doesn't seem right, I must be missing something. >>

I think it's right, and it has to do with the value of the cards being graded. [and the time/expense of creating the T3 holder]. The actual plastic is inexpensive, and PSA won't get much by charging $50 to grade a Sportscaster card, but if they can make some incremental margin to defray the costs of the T3 research, development and capital expenditures, that is what they are trying do to [esp. now that a bunch of T3s have been graded]

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Perhaps for T-3 cards it makes sense, but it doesn't for Perez Steele Great Moment cards. I'm sure the vast majority of these are sent for autograph authentication and encapsulation. The autograph review process shouldn't change on the size of the card. I don't see a reason that Perez Steele cards should cost $50 for encapsulation if Sportscaster cards will be less.

A price breakdown based on year of manufacture seems more reasonable to me and in line with current practice for the other holder sizes.

Tom-
    I agree, there were lots of slabbed P-S signed great moments for sale at the National for $35 each. With a few exceptions you'd never be able to come close to making back grading fees on those, let alone the price of the auto'd card.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• << <i>Holy moly, $50. Kinda kills that 86 Topps Jumbo idea. You'd have to get all PSA 10's to only take 50% loss on the transaction. I used to submit Isaly's Disc's under the $5 special and they are in larger holders but they had to be on a separate invoice. That's sounds fair. Hopefully they will do something like that. >>

Wabbit, what holder did you use to send in those 76 Isaly's? I have a whole set here, and have started a set in PSA 10, but don't know if there is a Cardsaver big enough to fit these.
  • The cardsaver to use for disc is a cardsaver 4. I just got some from columbiasortscards on EBay.

Red

>

King Kellogg has literally shelves of disks graded (Isaleys, MSA, etc). You might be better off contacting him rather than submit your own.

• Thanks Red, I will check it out and get a few. (dozen) LOL

Now these would go under oversized cards, correct?
  • OK..More updated info...

T3 cards must be submitted at the $50 service level and up based on declared value. The turnaround time is 20 business days.

All other cards that fit in the ticket, check and T3 holders can be submitted at the $15 service (Regular) and up based on the declared value. The turnaround time is 20 business days.

We will be changing the submission forms so please be patient while all the changes take place on the printed forms and on the web. If you have any questions, please call customer service.

Carol

Thanks for the update Carol
  • Excellent news, Thanks carol.

Red

>