Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 Lonborg PSA 8 Sold for $909!!!!!

This is the title of an archived thread from 2004. How times and prices have changed! Does this mean that the days of a $1000 1971 PSA 8 Claude Raymond are doomed? Will we see a time when a PSA 8 Lee Maye can be had for under $100? Anyone have any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Is there a crash headed for some 60's and 70's sets coming? I think people who overpay for certain cards don't care that they did because it was about fulfilling that gotta have it now mentality but it does set the market to be viewed as shrinking, collapsing, weak etc. I view it as a self correcting mechanism and I for one hope all the set's I collect go down in value to the point I can actually complete them some time before I die!
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I am a 72 set collector and have been putting the set together for 20 months.....I have been watching the EBAY prices daily and meticulouly during this time.......................

...all it takes is TWO or THREE set builders with FAT wallets and that HAVE TO HAVE it now attitude to drive the prices up....but it can be a false front......

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Keeping track of prices over a long period of time is a smart move; if you don't have that information you may not have a sense of the big picture. I do that for my other hobby. So have the prices of noteworthy '72 Topps dropped in the period you've been monitoring?
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Keeping track of prices over a long period of time is a smart move; if you don't have that information you may not have a sense of the big picture. I do that for my other hobby. So have the prices of noteworthy '72 Topps dropped in the period you've been monitoring? >>

The prices for PSA 8 have dropped except for a few low pops............HOFer prices in PSA 8 are really flat.

The prices for PSA 9 and particularly PSA 10s are on a whole through the roof.....but it is all because of three or four bidders.................I make a point on bidding on EVERY PSA 9 (and some PSA 10s) that i need at a price that is reasonable.....I was winning a far higher % last year at this time ( and getting some GOOD bargains too) then i am winning now...............Many of the PSAs 9 that I am NOT winning now end at prices WAY higher than I would have guessed.

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options

<< <i>..HOFer prices in PSA 8 are really flat. >>

I have always thought that, with the exception of getting into the HOF or dying, there's no external factor to drive the value of a retired player's cards up. And even those two things are usually only temporary. The Set Registry really drives up the demand for the holder, not the card.