Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another way to create elongateds

Suppose a train wheel was designed with incuse designs all around the rim. Then when it came into town (for whatever reason - political stumping, the Circus, old vintage special locomotive, etc) people could line up their pennies on the track to receive a commemorative imprint.

Not sure if the design would last long if the wheel was in constant use. Might have to swap it in for a work wheel just for the ceremonial squishing.

Comments

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Won't most of the elongates have off-centered designs?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid I heard that a (fast-moving) train could be derailed by pennies on the track.
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Have it as a "third axle" like on some heavy trucks, hydraulically pull it up and lower it for the stamping. that way its only in use for a few revolutions at best per outing.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

• << <i>When I was a kid I heard that a (fast-moving) train could be derailed by pennies on the track. >>

Lets find out! image
  • the vibration of the oncoming train rattles the pennies off the track long before the train arrives.....
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the vibration of the oncoming train rattles the pennies off the track long before the train arrives..... >>

Etch the design into the track, and secure the coin over the impression with a little duct tape. Duct tape can fix anything!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>When I was a kid I heard that a (fast-moving) train could be derailed by pennies on the track. >>

It takes a lot more than a 1 millimeter bump on a track to derail a 100-ton locomotive. Otherwise, we'd read about an epidemic of derailings, and tracks would have to be kept scrupulously clean of all debris all the time.

<< <i>the vibration of the oncoming train rattles the pennies off the track long before the train arrives..... >>

I smashed many coins when I was a kid. Sometimes it's a challenge to find them in the gravel after the train has passed, but they're always flat.

• << <i>the vibration of the oncoming train rattles the pennies off the track long before the train arrives..... >>

thats why you tape the coins on the track, that way they wont vibrate off. but usually the tape gets stuck to the wheel and you find your coin a few hundred yards down the track

• Great Idea...

Couple drops of wax works well also...
    My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When I was a kid I heard that a (fast-moving) train could be derailed by pennies on the track. >>

Yep. I was told that as a kid also.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elongated - maker, lite:

Silver Dollar elongated - maker:

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I squashed my share of coins with trains. Once I even squished a silver-dollar-sized Sears Roebuck medal. It didn't go all thin like the pennies and dimes did, but it did go out of round and smear the design a bit.

The derailment thing is a myth. However, I can personally attest to the fact that some of the coins will indeed shoot out from under the train's wheels, as small, fast-moving, sharp-edged projectiles, so it's not a totally risk-free endeavor.

<< <i>the vibration of the oncoming train rattles the pennies off the track long before the train arrives... >>

This isn't always true, but it is true sometimes, and it is often difficult to find one's flattened coins afterward. This is why you put a row of them on the rail. You'll sometimes lose a few to vibration or flyoffs or whatever.

Xphobe's idea might not be practical, but it's creative. We've got an "outside the box" thinker. Waaay outside the box. Hey, that's cool.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I usually smash a penny everytime I go to the Grove - which is an outdoor mall in LA. They have a little trolly that runs back and forth inside it - it doesn't smash the pennies as good as a train, but it does change their shape a little. The challenge is placing the coins and retrieving them without anyone seeing you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file