Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Strange print flaw on 1961 Topps BB High Series

I have noticed this now on about 4 1961 Topps cards, but only those in the high number series. I acquired the Jim Coates card (#531) and noticed strange "bleed-through" of the ink from the back of the card all the way to the front. Then, I started pulling out my raw 61s and found the same thing on a Don Ferrasese #558 card. Then, I saw a Marty Kutyna #546 on ebay and it is by far the most extreme example, clearly showing the cartoon from the back of the card actually bleeding through to the front of the card. Anyone know how this happened during the printing process? Has anyone seen this before and if so, is this limited to just 1961s? Also, why would this be seen only on the high series? Being a 61 Topps collector, my curiousity has got the best of me here. I gotta believe some the long-time collectors have seen this too.

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
My ebay listings

Comments

• Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    how is that a straight 8?????
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    The problem isn't bleed through...it's from multiple cards being stored together and the ink from one rubbing off onto the one behind it..

I think what you are seeing is the ink from another card..not the ink from the back of the card you are looking at.

I would guess that these cards sat in storage..all collated in number order..and humidity did the rest.
  • Options
    Who cares about the print flaw, nice scanning job. Impressive

Hooray for hi-res scans!!!
    Carpe Diem
  • Options

<< <i>The problem isn't bleed through...it's from multiple cards being stored together and the ink from one rubbing off onto the one behind it..

I think what you are seeing is the ink from another card..not the ink from the back of the card you are looking at.

I would guess that these cards sat in storage..all collated in number order..and humidity did the rest. >>

Stat: I thought that too at first, but that is not correct. Very close examination shows the ink on front corresponds exactly to what is on the back of the same card. Look closely at the first scan of the Coates card and it is evident.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be that the sheets were stored (uncut) one on top of the other; hence the cartoon of one sheet bleeds onto the exact same card on the next? I can't imagine that the ink goes all the way through.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Could it be that the sheets were stored (uncut) one on top of the other; hence the cartoon of one sheet bleeds onto the exact same card on the next? I can't imagine that the ink goes all the way through. >>

Thats got my vote..........
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Buckwheat would know. he has the number 1 set on the reg.

email him and ask?

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could it be that the sheets were stored (uncut) one on top of the other; hence the cartoon of one sheet bleeds onto the exact same card on the next? I can't imagine that the ink goes all the way through. >>

That's exactly what happened but probably not from being stored. Just a batch of "bad" ink or humid conditions at the time in the printing plant whereby the ink simply didn't dry properly. Could also have been a particular batch of paper which didn't absorb the ink properly.

The printers probably noticed these print flaws at the time, but for whatever reason didn't consider it significant enough to throw the cards away and print new ones. Perhaps with the high numbers at the end of the summer, they figured they wouldn't sell much anyway, so it wasn't worth reprinting them.