Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Advice for a scanner

I'm in the market for a new scanner with these wax rips coming up.
Any suggestions for a nice, yet affordable one.
thanks

Comments

• Anything that uses a Charge coupled device (CCD)
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I bought a Epson 3590 about a month or so ago and have loved it, Got it at Best Buy for $125.
    Canon also makes a good one from what I have seen.

• digdugdigdug Posts: 216 ✭✭

<< <i>I bought a Epson 3590 about a month or so ago and have loved it, Got it at Best Buy for $125.
    Canon also makes a good one from what I have seen. >>

I remember your scans on those 89 donruss.
    they were perfect.
    I will be heading to there tomorrow I guess.
    Thanks
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I would not spend a fortune on any of them.
    My expensive ones have acted up just as
    often as my cheap ones.

The LEXMARKs have worked as good as any
    of them for me.

If you keep it under $100, you can just buy a new
    one each year.

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I really like my Canon 8400F.
  • digdug-
    i just purchased an epson perfection 3590, as well, and am EXTREMELY pleased with the scans (and software capabilities)!
    this after buying a piece of fesces hp scanjet that NEVER worked (hp, incidentally, refused to do anything about... never again)!
    best news is i got it thru BuyDig.com- $110.49 no sales tax or shipping charges & it arrived in 5 days!
    hope you enjoy yours as much as i am mine.
    mark
  • the cliff notes to the post below is to follow VintageJeff's advice and get a scanner with a CCD scanning element. i recommend an epson perfection scanner that fits your budget. if you want more details keep reading.

there are two main types of scanners: those that use CIS technology (contact image sensing) and those that use CCD technology (charge-coupled device). CIS is desirable as part of a multifunction device since the scanning unit is thin. unfortunately, the tradeoff is that it only scans flat objects. the thickness of a psa slab is enough to cause the card to appear blurry. you can play with the sharpness using photoshop, but it won't help much. the other type of scanner uses CCD (charge-coupled device) and can focus through objects of thickness. the tradeoff is that the scanner is larger, but it still fits on a desk.

my epson is a CCD (model 2480 <$100) and i also own a canon lide which is a CIS. below is a contrast of them

imageimage

i am a perfectionist so my blurry scans with the canon CIS drove me nuts, which is why i bought the epson.
  • blue227blue227 Posts: 185 ✭✭
    thanks for the tip on the CCD aspect. i would have never known any better otherwise....

does anyone know of a good scanner that scans at a faster rate or has a bigger scanning bed so that more PSA slabs can fit on the glass for a single scan? one of the biggest deterrents for me selling stuff on eBay is that it takes so dang long to scan the cards. digital cameras are faster but there are usually image problems with the flash or resolution which doesn't help the listing.

i've searched online and most scanners seem to have a max size scanning bed of 8.5" x 11" which will only fit 4 slabs unless i squeeze them in at right angles to one another. In terms of scanning speed, i can't tell if any of the product specs refer to scanning speed so any translation help would be appreciated. thx.
  • I have an Epson 3590 too and love it. It is much better than my old scanner. Here are some examples:

imageimage
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I have just now learned to "play" with the brightness, contrast, and saturation levels a bit with my Epson, Once I have it right, I dont think scans get much better. I havent posted any here in high res, with adjustments yet, but I will tonight when I scan in my 81 Fleer, just for kicks.

• << <i>I would not spend a fortune on any of them.
    My expensive ones have acted up just as
    often as my cheap ones.

The LEXMARKs have worked as good as any
    of them for me.

If you keep it under $100, you can just buy a new
    one each year.

storm >>

Unfortunately, scanners by themselves are being replaced by the 3in1, 4in1, all in one printer, fax, copier, scanner combos. I went to Best buy the other day to look at scanners and they didn't have any in the store that weren't combo's. They said they won't be carrying the individual scanners anymore. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets