Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1981 Donruss Golf

I am thinking of starting this set and was wondering if anyone on the boards had any advice.

It looks like the top sets are heavy with 10's. What do common 9's and 10's usually run? Is there unopened wax that is easily found and what is the cost?

Thanks for any advice!

Patrick
Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I know the boxes have come down a bit in price but they still are not cheap. Probably can figure between $175 and $225 a box I would think.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I know you can find graded copies for less than you would think. I've literally thought about starting this set b/c of the prices I've seen the 10's go for over the past 2 years or so. Definetly UNDER valued.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    you can find 9's for about $10 on average with a few exceptions like graham and nicklaus. boxes run between 140-175 on ebay . watch for who you buy from , if someone is buying and selling for less a few weeks later , there is a good chance they are pulling the packs with the nicklaus's. I have seen this going on with a few sellers. opening wax is a crapshoot as centering is awful on these cards , not as bad as 82 , but a large portion of the cards will be scrap. you need to get a few good 10's to break even. I just opened my last box so I can't help you with wax. I have a small lot available for cheap to get you started if interested. when buying on ebay try to buy a bunch at a time aas the shipping can add up if you are picking them up from several sources. these run in cycles , there have been a flood on ebay recently so prices have come way down in the last few months. it is a popular set so everytime a few new collectors get in , the prices jump 25-35% percent. good luck
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    The 1981 & 1982 Golf set are a blast to put together. The 1981 Set is much easy than the '82. Wax is becoming harder to come by. When you do a open a box or two, you can only expect to get a few 10's per box and maybe a handfull of 9's. Centering is a major problem with these sets. A few of the cards are very tough in 9 or 10, Pohl SL, #31, checklist, Johnny Miller... Watch the POP reports, it helps a lot when buying. Some Cards have very low pops in 10 which really drives up the prices in 9 or 10.

I have a near complete set in 8's and 9's with one or two 10's in both the 81's & 82's if you are interested. I continue to try and improve my registry sets, someday hope to have all 10's in both sets.

Good Luck

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    I bought a box of 81 a couple years ago and only pulled about 10 cards that were even worth grading (the 10 that I thought best had a shot at getting a 10). Of the 10 cards, I think 7 of them received a grade of 9, and the rest got an 8.... no 10's. The rest of the cards were some of the most off-center cards I had even pulled from a pack... not to mention the rough edges on some.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    There are a few PSA 10s on Ebay, but starting price I believe on most is $49.95.
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    Well, a couple years ago you couldn't touch any 10 from this set for less than $150 I believe. I looked at them a few months ago and it seemed like the prices have come down a lot.
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    The prices have come down, not many set being put together actively right know. About 6 months ago Low POP 10's were seling for as much as $1000. Now, those same cards are selling around $400....

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    thanks for all of the input - i have been traveling so havent been able to reply before today

for those that have extra 9s or 10s available please pm me with your asking price and thanks again!

patrick
    Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Have you considered going after some of the older golf sets???

1900 Copes set

this is mine for sale since ebay had the el cheeeepo listing day I threw it out there
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    as many have mentioned, raw sets often have many o/c cards. really speaks to the significance of the demand side of the supply- and-demand theory. there may be a decent amount of wax still out there but most won't be worth grading _ yet graded prices really don't reflect that. I do, however, think high-grade nicklaus cards from both years will eventually climb.